• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

CzarTim

Bog said:
Anyone know how long it takes until you can switch positions in RTTS? LF is ridiculously dull. I've asked the coach a few times, but he keeps shooting me down.
It happened midway through my first AAA season, and they said no.

Mrbob

sun-drop said:
ah cool, thanks guys .... umm right stick? how/when do you use that ..my right hand is busy pressing x or square to swing .. :/ ???

Before the pitch is made. If you have a dual shock you will feel the controller rumble on whatever choice you make to know you inputted it. I only mess with this in a few key situations. If I want to bunt to 1st or 3rd base side...or if I'm trying to drive in a run from 3rd on a sack fly...or slap a ground ball through the open hole on a hit and run.

Mrbob said:
I've always figured guess pitch was in to give the game more of an arcade feel...I wouldn't say the game is built around it at all. If anything, the game is built against guess pitch but sony added it to give hitters a better chance at whacking the ball.

Yep. I think its kinda like the global driving aids in Gran Turismo. They're on by default for a wider audience, but if you want to get the most out of the driving model you turn them off. Same deal for TS' hitting model. The stat bonuses from a successful GP seem relatively small (unless you use no feedback option) since if your timing is still off it doesn't bail you out. The visual tip off is what gives you the edge. But if you're 'manually' sitting inside fastball and your plate coverage and timing is dead on, you'll likely hit it just as hard as you would with GP on.

Barrett2

Well, been playing the demo this morning, this game is fantastic. I'll be picking it up this week.

How is the online play? Any lag?

Jube3

lawblob said:
Well, been playing the demo this morning, this game is fantastic. I'll be picking it up this week.

I haven't played it online yet but from this thread it seems to be really hit or miss in terms of lag.

Fuck, I hate RTTS. So now I made it back up to AAA in my 4th year in the minors. Hit .344 and drove in around 40 RBIs in the half a season I was up there. Didn't get promoted then but was added to the Jays 40-man roster. Had a pretty mediocre spring batting around .250 in 20 at bats. Instead of at least starting in AAA I'm once again a back-up CF in AA. I don't know why I keep playing this. I'm into my 5th year of RTTS and I'm only ever frustrated but I'm determined to make it to the Show!!!

DoctorWho said:
Fuck, I hate RTTS. So now I made it back up to AAA in my 4th year in the minors. Hit .344 and drove in around 40 RBIs in the half a season I was up there. Didn't get promoted then but was added to the Jays 40-man roster. Had a pretty mediocre spring batting around .250 in 20 at bats. Instead of at least starting in AAA I'm once again a back-up CF in AA. I don't know why I keep playing this. I'm into my 5th year of RTTS and I'm only ever frustrated but I'm determined to make it to the Show!!!
Welcome to the minors. MLB is full of people like this in the minors but they don't get a shot. I think it's very realistic in that aspect in the fact that you're rated vs. other prospects/you're blocked by a star on the big league roster/blocked because guy on roster makes a shitton of money (see Luis Castillo on Mets).

Got promoted in my rookie year with the Royals to their AAA team. So, now were in August and I'm a pretty solid middle reliever, hopefully I'll get promoted to their starting rotation before the season ends and then make it to the show middle of next season. God damn this is so addictive!

The Frankman said:
Welcome to the minors. MLB is full of people like this in the minors but they don't get a shot. I think it's very realistic in that aspect in the fact that you're rated vs. other prospects/you're blocked by a star on the big league roster/blocked because guy on roster makes a shitton of money (see Luis Castillo on Mets).

Doesn't mean I have to like it. :D

I think I might have to switch my position to SS. Jays are always weak at SS.

I think my favorite part of RTTS is to look at a loading screen for 2 minutes before I get put into the game as a defensive replacement in the 8th inning, only to have the opposing teams batter take the pitch. Then the next action is fast forwarding to the end of the game. WTF? This couldn't be addressed? I know the same thing happened last year, and it is still just as infuriating.

mjc said:
I'm horrible at batting and pitching, mostly because I don't know how they work. :(
The worst thing you can do is accept it. There is SO MUCH BP tutorial you can beome a decent hiiter with 30 minutes of practice a day for a week, probably less!

With pitching it's a bit tougher but I think it depends on your settings. Also it helps if pace your pitcher in terms of maxing his pitches and hitting the accuracy line. Make sure you know your pitchers and their stuff. For instance don't use Randy Johnson and throw 50% curveballs, ya know?

It's hilarious I'm contributing so much and I haven't played this since MLB 07 :D

Core407

Banned
mjc said:
I'm horrible at batting and pitching, mostly because I don't know how they work. :(

When pitching, work corners and throw balls. I'm not talking about balls completely off the strike zone but borderline pitches that are balls. You'll find people fishing for them and these are the pitches that generally are outs when put into play. Be aware of who is up, too. If you're facing a batter with a handful of homeruns, don't be afraid to challenge him. Chances are he'll just pop out. If it's someone like big bad Vlad, work the count and mix up balls with strikes and hope you get him out that way.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so got my copy

uh ..so ...What a good Baseball team in this game to play with ? I know shit about Baseball but fucking love the demo so I bought the game , ( well I know the basic stuff from baseball anime and movies but that all ) :lol

so yeah that ..and should I focus to just thorw at the batter or I should throw ball at my stolen bases too or is this worthless for a noob like me ?

welp n_n

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Totobeni said:
so got my copy

uh ..so ...What a good Baseball team in this game to play with ? I know shit about Baseball but fucking love the demo so I bought the game , ( well I know the basic stuff from baseball anime and movies but that all ) :lol

so yeah that ..and should I focus to just thorw at the batter or I should throw ball at my stolen bases too or is this worthless for a noob like me ?

welp n_n
Well, the Yankees are rated #1 overall in the game. So I guess they are the best (even though they probably won't even be 1st or 2nd in their own division this year).

edit:
Basic Rules of Baseball

A baseball game is played by two teams who alternate between offense and defense. There are nine players on each side. The goal is to score more runs than the opponent, which is achieved by one circuit of four bases that are placed on the diamond.

The Equipment

The defense wears baseball gloves, a leather contraption that fits on the hand, to catch the ball. A baseball is a white ball roughly three inches in diameter with red stitching.

The offense uses a bat, which is made of wood in the professional ranks, and likely made of aluminum or a metal composite at amateur levels.

The Field

The part of the field closest to the bases is called the infield, and the grassy farther reaches is called the outfield.

The bases are 90 feet apart on the diamond, closer in children's leagues and softball. Other fields are variable, and the outfield fences or the amount of “foul territory” - the amount of ground that borders the field between the long white lines that connect first base to home plate and third base to home plate – varies from field to field.

Defense: The Positions

There's a pitcher in the middle of the mound who initiates the action by throwing the ball toward home plate. The catcher catches the ball if it's not hit. The infielders are the first baseman, second baseman, shortstop (between second and third base) and the third baseman. There are three outfielders: The left fielder, center fielder and right fielder.

The Game

There are nine innings in professional baseball games (sometimes fewer in lower levels), and each inning is divided in half to the top of the inning (when the visiting team hits and the home team plays defense) and the bottom of the inning (when the home team hits and the visiting team plays defense).

Each team gets three outs in each half of the innings.

On Offense

Each team has nine players in its batting order, and they must stick to that order throughout the game (players may substitute in for other players). A play begins with a batter waiting to hit a pitch from the pitcher. If the batter hits the ball into the field of play, the batter runs to first base and can run to as many bases as he or she deems fit without getting "out."

A batter gets three strikes (a swing and a miss or a ball over the plate in what's deemed the “strike zone” by an umpire) or he or she is out. If there are four balls (a pitch that is not in the “strike zone”), the batter is automatically allowed to go to first base.

When a batter begins running, he or she is then referred to as a "runner". Runners attempt to reach a base, where they are "safe" and can remain on the base until the next hitter comes up. The defensive players attempt to prevent this by putting the runners out using the ball; runners put out must leave the field.

A batter gets a "hit" when he or she reaches a base without getting out, or forcing another runner to get out (and without the defense making an error). Runs are scored when a player completes a circuit of the diamond before there are three outs in the inning.

If a players hits the ball over the outfield fence in fair territory (between the foul lines), it's a home run, and the batter can circle all four bases.

On Defense

There are many ways that the team on defense can get an offensive player out. Four common ways are:

* Strikeouts (hitter misses three pitches)
* Force outs (when, after the ball is hit, the defensive player with the ball reaches a base before the runner)
* Fly outs (when a player hits the ball in the air and it's caught by a defensive player before the ball hits the ground)
* Tag outs (when a runner is touched with the ball, or a glove with the ball in it)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The Frankman said:
I'm just going to say it right now:

Road to the Show >>> MLB PowerPros "Created Player" Story Mode

don't kill me XiaNaphrys

Yea, easily. Not to mention it plays a much more realistic game of ball.

Man, grinding in jrpgs has nothing on this sometimes. I'm playing as a pitcher and hours will go by and I have to ask myself, "did I just spend all that time simulating pitching over and over again to different batters?" It's insane.

I got drafted to that A's, got traded to the Royals (ugh) and am halfway through a AAA season. It's not going quite as well. I'm nervous about not making any significant ground this year.

Totobeni said:
so got my copy

welp n_n

You hit the ball, you throw the ball, you catch the ball.

Remember this and you'll be fine.

Also, there is no crying in baseball.

Yes, yes I bitched about RTTS but I just made it to the Majors!!!!! About 3/4 of the way through my season I got the call. My first game with the Jays was against the Mariners in Seattle. My first hit - a 2-run Homer!!! Later I got a double to tack on a couple of insurance runs. 4-RBI Game!! I was player of the game!

You really feel a sense of accomplishment after fighting through the minors for so long.

I've got to save that first hit now!!

bjscott05

Ok, so tell me if I am using the meter right when fielding.

If I just tap it, my throw should be slower but more accurate. And if I hold it, it will be faster and more likely to sail, right?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
bjscott05 said:
Ok, so tell me if I am using the meter right when fielding.

If I just tap it, my throw should be slower but more accurate. And if I hold it, it will be faster and more likely to sail, right?

Yea, the amount of pressure you put down is how fast you rush the throw (and it's pre-loaded). I'm still not convinced it works 100% correctly.

Shit, the only reason I was sent up was due to an injury on the Jays roster. So now I've been optioned back to AAA.

In my 3 games I got 10 RBIs, 2 HRs and was batting .667. WAT?

I know the guy who got injured shouldn't lose his spot but send somebody else down.

lawblob said:

Played a game with a friend, it wasn't missing frames of animation bad...but it was a really weird lag. Like, masking it. Swings that I swear were on time would come up "very early."

We ended up playing to a 1-0 game, won in the bottom of the 9th, mainly because of a fielding error on a throw to 1st.

Windu said:
Sounds realistic to me. The Life of a Minor League baseball player is not fun.

It definitely feels realistic. I'm on the 40-man so I expect to be back up in September and hopefully I'll be either able to impress the Jays or someone else enough to land a spot on a major league team

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Rolling in my drafted M's franchise. 6-4 with a lot of close games. drafted a lot of hitters and have a pretty poor roatation. 1-3 isn't so bad, but 4 and 5 are trash and the BP is fair...

But the game plays so damn well. crappy pitchers have melt downs, the cpu jumps on mistakes and it manages so much better this year.. just awesome fun

Back in the MLB for September. Funny, playing a game at Tropicana field with the Rays dominating the East and the stadium is still half full. :lol

So true.

Ok, here's a question. I'm a micro-managing franchise nut and I have a problem...

During franchise I'm setting ticket and parking prices, etc. to accomodate for my attendance. Then it tells me I have no promotions scheduled.... but I have nowhere to set them. It's not in the same place it was last year

Where is it???

Barrett2

Just bought the game. I was watching the Target clerk like a hawk to make sure he didn't grab 2K9 by accident. :D

Question is, who the hell do I play as? I don't follow baseball enough to know the teams that well. The fact that I even buy this series is a testament to how well-made it is.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Outcast2004 said:
Ok, here's a question. I'm a micro-managing franchise nut and I have a problem...

During franchise I'm setting ticket and parking prices, etc. to accomodate for my attendance. Then it tells me I have no promotions scheduled.... but I have nowhere to set them. It's not in the same place it was last year

Where is it???
I think you go to schedule and you click on a date. It should say stuff like "see box score", "view Today's scores" and then one option is I believe "set promotions" or something like that.

Kingpen

lawblob said:
Just bought the game. I was watching the Target clerk like a hawk to make sure he didn't grab 2K9 by accident. :D

Question is, who the hell do I play as? I don't follow baseball enough to know the teams that well. The fact that I even buy this series is a testament to how well-made it is.

I didn't know either... I guess when I was a kid I was a Kirk Gibson fan. so I picked the dodgers since their AAA team is in Albuquerque where I live. I downloaded the update and had Manny on my squad from his new contract...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Outcast2004 said:

Where is it???

I have the same damn question!!! Also during one time a hint pops up and tells me that I have no promotions and should set them... but I don't know where to go

Windu to save the day

Windu said:
I think you go to schedule and you click on a date. It should say stuff like "see box score", "view Today's scores" and then one option is I believe "set promotions" or something like that.

Well, that's kinda dumb. It wasn't broke last year...why try to fix it?

sun-drop

i played some dude who was in the top 100 last night, and got CRUSHED 20-2

jesus, it was like he knew exactly what i was pitching every ball ... he'd leave balls i had just brushing the strikezone ..was nuts ... i walked so many dudes trying to tempt him into swinging.

how do you get THAt good ... :(

sun-drop said:
i played some dude who was in the top 100 last night, and got CRUSHED 20-2

jesus, it was like he knew exactly what i was pitching every ball ... he'd leave balls i had just brushing the strikezone ..was nuts ... i walked so many dudes trying to tempt him into swinging.

how do you get THAt good ... :(

You have no life and that's ALL you do. Usually live with parents still in their 30's.

See also Halo diehards.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I posted about the promotions about a page back...

go to your schedule and look at any home game during the regular season. It's one of the options when you press a date, sim to here, set promotion, etc. It works.

shpankey

not an idiot
Blackace said:
I have the same damn question!!! Also during one time a hint pops up and tells me that I have no promotions and should set them... but I don't know where to go

Windu to save the day
You can set the promotions right before you play. I've been doing it a lot. When you go to schedule and click on a date to play it is in the small pop-up menu. Look for it there. I think it's the first or second pop-up (when you choose "play game" instead look down the menu and there's something called "schedule promotion"). I just set the promotion then, right before I start a game. Though I think you can do it even earlier. I can take a screen shot if you guys want (?).

MLB 09: The Show OT MLB GAF/Gaming GAF League
With him switching, preferably we get one more NL ball club and we have two even divisions to go.

NL
MrBob - Da Cubs
Corran Horn - San Francisco Giants
Smity 3000 - Philadelphia Phillies
Core407 - Atlanta Braves
jrman2050 - Chicago White Sox
The Frankman - THE New York Mets
LJ11 - Florida Marlins
GQman - Los Angeles Dodgers
Tedesco! - Cincinnati Reds

AL
DCX - New York Yankees
Dez - Toronto Blue Jays
DM - Seattle Mariners
Wellington - Tampa Bay Rays
Sanjuro - Boston Red Sox
czartim - Cleveland Indians
ChrisGoldstein - Los Angeles Angels etc.
sext0n - Minnesota Twins
C'mon guys!!! We could use either 1 or 3 more!

I would play but the Reds are taken. I can look out my window and see Great American Ballpark. Im a big fan and it would be a sin to play with anyone else.

Wickerman

1up.com Review
This review isn't going to be a comparison between this and last year's version of The Show -- I only bought a PlayStation 3 a few months ago, so this is the first time I've had a chance to step up to the plate (pun intended) with the series outside of preview coverage. Having been an avid supporter of 2K Sports for the last few years (and of EA with its MVP series before that), I feel I have a good grasp of what I want from a baseball videogame. MLB 09: The Show gives me a plethora of things that I've always wanted in a baseball videogame. In fact, The Show sets the bar so high this year, that it truly is the baseball game that all others should be judged against, and I can't wait to see what the developers have in store for next year. The only things missing are the smell of Cracker Jacks and hot dogs.
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3173288

:D

Tedesco!

So I picked up MLB 09: The Show today. It's a pretty good game. Too bad I can't hit worth a shit. I have played four games so far, and I've only amassed five runs total. I would like to extend a preemptive congrats to all of those players who will beat me in the league. :D

Top Bottom