• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Barrett2

Playing on the 3/5 difficulty setting, I can't believe how inaccurate my pitching is (Mets). Especially my relievers, half of them just throw wild stuff when I put them in, even when warmed up, etc. On top of that, I never get the benefit of the doubt on strike calls, anything remotely touching the corners is called against me, so it feels like I either have to throw straight down the middle and get lit up, or just walk tons of guys.

Any suggestions? Do I just need to trade for better pitchers, or am I missing something? The goddamn Reds are lighting me up! The Reds!

shpankey

not an idiot
Even when you turn the Umpire Calls setting (it's called something else, I forget) to "Off" which in the description says it will call balls and strikes perfectly, it does not work... at all. AT ALL.

The umpire still calls balls and strikes via his own strike zone and some pitches are balls that should be strikes and vice-versa. ALWAYS with the CPU getting a huge advantage in the calls.

Some settings and maybe even some sliders are definitely broke.

shpankey

not an idiot
my sliders have changed btw after much more play. just some minor changes...

Baserunner speed = 7 (out of 10)
Base Stealing = 4 (out of 10)
Fielder Speed = 3 (out of 10)
Reaction time = 0 (out of 10)
Arm Strength = 2 (out of 10)

CzarTim

Just played a game with HORRIBLE lag. I couldn't get the timing down to compensate, early as fuck.

The only 2 runs I got were thanks to errors. 2 cases of an over thrown ball getting me to third. I'm fixing to upload some highlights.

Tedesco!

lawblob said:
Any suggestions? Do I just need to trade for better pitchers, or am I missing something? The goddamn Reds are lighting me up! The Reds!

Well, you are playing the Reds. You know, the dark horse of the '09 season? :D

In other video game news, the Oakland A's lit me up for 18 runs. 18. The pitching was all over the place. Man I suck at this game.

Does anyone else have the issue of the pitcher not being responsive defensively when a line drive is hit up the middle?

shpankey

not an idiot
Tedesco! said:
Well, you are playing the Reds. You know, the dark horse of the '09 season? :D

In other video game news, the Oakland A's lit me up for 18 runs. 18. The pitching was all over the place. Man I suck at this game.

Does anyone else have the issue of the pitcher not being responsive defensively when a line drive is hit up the middle?
I really need to give you guys the rest of my sliders, i have it playing a damn good game right now. you would be surprised how much i had to change them though, to the user's favor and detriment to the cpu's. which is why i haven't yet. i wanted to see more comments like yours and the guy you quoted first. but yeah, sliders need major adjustments. the ones i posted above do not make the corrections to fix what you two are talking about, but my others do.

Drek

shpankey said:
I really need to give you guys the rest of my sliders, i have it playing a damn good game right now. you would be surprised how much i had to change them though, to the user's favor and detriment to the cpu's. which is why i haven't yet. i wanted to see more comments like yours and the guy you quoted first. but yeah, sliders need major adjustments. the ones i posted above do not make the corrections to fix what you two are talking about, but my others do.
I'd be interested in your sliders, feeling like I have a lot of the same complaints.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The pitcher up the middle hit is deeply effected by the pitcher fielding rating. I've seen a lot of discrepancy based on that. So you're basically screwed in RTTS.

Meier

Dmitri Young is way too good in this game.

Musashi Wins! said:
The pitcher up the middle hit is deeply effected by the pitcher fielding rating. I've seen a lot of discrepancy based on that. So you're basically screwed in RTTS.
I hate, hate, hate it. For some reason, fielding is a BITCH to raise too... it goes so damn slow.

shpankey said:

Its pretty subjective though. Each user plays differently and has different skill levels. Im playing on All-Star 20 games in my franchise (a reasonable sample IMO) and I've concluded I shouldn't touch a thing. Outside of a few baserunning issues its awfully solid out of the box.

Which I'm pretty grateful for, as the slider game inevitably becomes a juggling act. One move imbalances another, and off you go.

Meier

I swear this game is fucking INFURIATING as a pitcher in RTTS. I love it and hate it. The way you just completely lose it out of NOWHERE is absurd. And even if you're fucking cruising along, one bullshit walk and the manager will pull you in the 7th and then the pen will blow it. It makes me want to punch the screen.

Barrett2

shpankey said:

Definitely feel free to post the sliders, so far I am just making tiny adjustments after each game, but theres probably lots of stuff I am not thinking about correctly in terms of bettering the experience. I finally got around to changing the the basic fielding responsiveness, I got sick of my infielders constantly running past ground balls they should have easily been snagging.

I really need to pay more attention while I play, but since I always listen to podcasts I sort of glaze over the details of gameplay.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
shpankey said:

If you can post your sliders, I would appreciate it. Seems we are having the same complaints.

Sanjuro

So damn frustrated at this game. The base stealing is basically broken. I lost to a guy who stole 5 bases on me and used them to get all of his runs. I would try and catch him in between and my pitcher would just be frozen on the mound not throwing to any base. Regardless if it is an online problem it is fucking auhfvhruiowgfuyjwefajhj$ghjjh

just picked this up off a buddy who didn't like it for $45 (is he fucking insane!?!?)

I'm loving it....

keep in mind this guy liked Haze and thought it was a 9/10

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
MikeE21286 said:
just picked this up off a buddy who didn't like it for $45 (is he fucking insane!?!?)

I'm loving it....

keep in mind this guy liked Haze and thought it was a 9/10

I'd stay in touch with this guy just to soak him of good games.

I wanted to play the league, but the online is just not up to par. I'm dumbfounded about why they can't get it right. It's still my most played game of the year though, I cool down with it about every night before bed.

Core407

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I'd stay in touch with this guy just to soak him of good games.

I wanted to play the league, but the online is just not up to par. I'm dumbfounded about why they can't get it right. It's still my most played game of the year though, I cool down with it about every night before bed.

I'm playing a lot less of 09 than I did of 08. Don't know if it's the net code of what but the online experience isn't as rewarding. The lack of check swing due to lag really fucks things up. Balls in the dirt that I would normally check swing at are now full swings with combination of the increased bat speed and lag. The netcode should be priority #1 for 'em.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Core407 said:
I'm playing a lot less of 09 than I did of 08. Don't know if it's the net code of what but the online experience isn't as rewarding. The lack of check swing due to lag really fucks things up. Balls in the dirt that I would normally check swing at are now full swings with combination of the increased bat speed and lag. The netcode should be priority #1 for 'em.

It should have long before this release. It's bizarre that they are unable to solve the issues that keep it from being fluid. It's unacceptable to play virtual baseball with that sort of molasses overlay. I think the core game is far better than ever, but it's a bit harder too imo.

Core407

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
It should have long before this release. It's bizarre that they are unable to solve the issues that keep it from being fluid. It's unacceptable to play virtual baseball with that sort of molasses overlay. I think the core game is far better than ever, but it's a bit harder too imo.

I think all of the improvements they've made to the game are great but they're nullified by the lag. I don't really know what the issue is with the net code but I don't think it's as simple as people think it is. The online has been an issue since '07 launched on PS3 so I'm sure they're well aware of it.

LJ11

I played 5 online games today, the lag wasn't as bad as I expected (on par with what I experienced in '08), but check swings are janked. It seems that I can check my swing if I start early, but if I try to get it in late I always get the full swing.

Haven't had an issue with guys stealing on me, thought it was a pretty small sample size. I had trouble stealing a base with anyone other than Reyes, Beltran was a caught a few times. I gunned down all but one runner in my games, the fucker robbed 3rd as well because Delgado didn't get the ball out of his glove in time, but I did react a bit late as well. Don't take too long in delivering the ball to 2nd, grab and throw it (no reason to hold down the throw), and you should gun down most runners.

My only complaints with the game, online aside, is that fielders (mostly infielders) put too much zip on the ball even if you lay off the throwing meter.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it was a hit and run, not a straight steal. I tried getting him at 2nd, failed, threw over to 1st and the fucker went for 3rd. :lol

I'm so fucking sick of grounding out into double plays. It seems like almost every time i have a runner on first, I for some reason hit right to an infielder. Even when I make perfect contact on the ball. I know the CPU is trying to get the double play, but it almost seems like it doesn't matter what they throw or how I hit it -- anything I do will result in a double play.

I have no idea why they changed the hitting when it was so perfect last year. There was no reason to tweak it as much as they did.

I also feel the game punishes your mistakes, as it should. But it's MUCH harder for you to punish the game's mistakes. They get the benefit of the doubt pretty much on every encounter. So many times I'll correctly call a fastball in a certain position, time it just right, only to see it be a weak grounder or a dart right into an infielder's glove. Unbelievable.

Shawnwhann said:
Any update on when a patch is coming for the online issues? I have "The Show" riding the pine until they are fixed.

Like Wickerman said, don't expect it to get fixed. My friend and I have been looking for a good baseball game to play online for years. The show plays pretty well offline, but online it's unplayable. I haven't played this years version but the past two versions have been a mix of not being able to connect, long pauses of "searching for opponent" during the game, and lag so bad that it's unplayable. From what others are saying it sounds like these problems still exist.

I've downgraded to the psp version, and it's pretty crazy how good this game plays on a handheld. I'm amazed by how well they've captured the pitcher/batter confrontation. They've tuned the pitch speeds perfectly. It's slow enough that you have the chance to take a bad pitch, and yet fast enough that it's challenging to hit. If you get too impatient the computer will throw you garbage, but if you're selective you'll actually draw walks. I've never drawn a walk in a video baseball game before.

dskillzhtown

PhlivoSong said:
Like Wickerman said, don't expect it to get fixed. My friend and I have been looking for a good baseball game to play online for years. The show plays pretty well offline, but online it's unplayable. I haven't played this years version but the past two versions have been a mix of not being able to connect, long pauses of "searching for opponent" during the game, and lag so bad that it's unplayable. From what others are saying it sounds like these problems still exist.

I've downgraded to the psp version, and it's pretty crazy how good this game plays on a handheld. I'm amazed by how well they've captured the pitcher/batter confrontation. They've tuned the pitch speeds perfectly. It's slow enough that you have the chance to take a bad pitch, and yet fast enough that it's challenging to hit. If you get too impatient the computer will throw you garbage, but if you're selective you'll actually draw walks. I've never drawn a walk in a video baseball game before.

I got the psp version Friday. I have only played 3 games so far, but I love it. Graphically it is a downgrade for sure, crowd looks terrible, the umps are invisible, and pixelation galore but the gameplay is just as good as the PS3 version. I do find the hitting to be easier/fairer than the PS3 version. I am still going to tweak some of the sliders to my liking, but I am liking it alot out of the box.

Barrett2

dskillzhtown said:
I got the psp version Friday. I have only played 3 games so far, but I love it. Graphically it is a downgrade for sure, crowd looks terrible, the umps are invisible, and pixelation galore but the gameplay is just as good as the PS3 version. I do find the hitting to be easier/fairer than the PS3 version. I am still going to tweak some of the sliders to my liking, but I am liking it alot out of the box.

The PSP versions are always very solid. I spent countless hours playing MLB 05, 06 & 07 on my PSP. Along with The Bigs they put other PSP sports games to shame.

dskillzhtown

lawblob said:
The PSP versions are always very solid. I spent countless hours playing MLB 05, 06 & 07 on my PSP. Along with The Bigs they put other PSP sports games to shame.

I was pleasantly surprised that batting stances are in the game, pitcher's stances and deliveries, most of the commentary and you can update rosters! Amazing stuff.

I wish that EA would take that kind of care with Madden every year.

Barrett2

Ok, I need some advice.

My Mets are getting killed every game. Hitting is decent, Reyes is .410; but my pitching is horrible. I want to make some trades to improve the pitching staff. I have no idea who I should look into. I need some suggestions for good pitchers to trade for.

Mrbob

CartridgeBlower said:
I'm so fucking sick of grounding out into double plays. It seems like almost every time i have a runner on first, I for some reason hit right to an infielder. Even when I make perfect contact on the ball. I know the CPU is trying to get the double play, but it almost seems like it doesn't matter what they throw or how I hit it -- anything I do will result in a double play.

I have no idea why they changed the hitting when it was so perfect last year. There was no reason to tweak it as much as they did.

I also feel the game punishes your mistakes, as it should. But it's MUCH harder for you to punish the game's mistakes. They get the benefit of the doubt pretty much on every encounter. So many times I'll correctly call a fastball in a certain position, time it just right, only to see it be a weak grounder or a dart right into an infielder's glove. Unbelievable.

Are you swinging at low pitches? If you are swinging at a splitter, or a change, or a two seam fastball you can hit it perfectly but still hit the ball on the ground if the ball is tailing out of the strike zone. You can still drive the baseball to the outfield on a low pitch, but it needs to be in the zone. Also, do you attempt hit and runs? This can help out on weakly hit balls on the infield. If you have a right hand batter up the second baseman will cover the base so you can poke the ball into right field. Conversely, a left hand batter is up the shortstop will cover 2nd base and you can smack the ball the other way. This is a method you can use to stay out of double plays.

Sanjuro

lawblob said:
Ok, I need some advice.

My Mets are getting killed every game. Hitting is decent, Reyes is .410; but my pitching is horrible. I want to make some trades to improve the pitching staff. I have no idea who I should look into. I need some suggestions for good pitchers to trade for.
My Sox have a abundance of pitching. Smoltz is fucking nasty in the game. Wakefield is not in the rotation by default and this is the first game where I believe they have EVER done him properly. I have played with him online to come in for very long relief for a pitcher getting shelled and in maybe 14 innings or so given up only 2 runs. So basically to sum things up, I'm pretty stoked I can actually use my favorite player on the team and not give up 5+ runs each time.

Balb

Gbeav said:
Hitting is still driving me crazy. I wish rookie setting would actually be easy.

Yeah, the game doesn't do much to help you out in that regard.

I'll give you some tips for rookie mode that helped me out:

a) adjust the sliders as much as possible in your favor

b) always guess pitch fast balls. If it's a fast ball you should swing (unless it's way outside of the strike zone)

c) always check to see if your swings are late or early, and adjust accordingly

Barrett2

Does anyone else have the tendency to always push downward on the analog stick when swinging? It causes me to hit a lot of pop-ups and to miss high strikes. Not sure why, but its tough to shake the habit. I want to get under the low pitches, but I end up doing it way too much.

lawblob said:

The PSP version is crap for one reason: right-handed pitchers in Wrigley Field. I play as the Cubs in my season mode, and for as long as I can remember the right-handed point of release is in the stands (and not in the blank area in the middle) because they've failed to model Wrigley properly.

Barrett2

BigNastyCurve said:
The PSP version is crap for one reason: right-handed pitchers in Wrigley Field. I play as the Cubs in my season mode, and for as long as I can remember the right-handed point of release is in the stands (and not in the blank area in the middle) because they've failed to model Wrigley properly.

Thats funny, I used to play as The Cubs in the PSP versions, too. All I remember is Derrek Lee taking up 1/2 the screen. He was like Paul Bunyan in the PSP game.

wahts with base runners diving back to the bag if theres a passed ball. is there any way in the options to disable this shit?

i love the game but playing 30+ hours has shown me some of its MINOR MINOR flaws.
including bunts. wtf@ popped bunts! the pitcher is completely clueless and lets it drop to the ground every time. durr.

Meier

lawblob said:
Ok, I need some advice.

Armando Gallaraga (sp?) was doing amazing in the 1st year of my Franchise so I traded for him. He's pretty solid and not all that hard to trade for.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
From the OS Boards:
Russell_SCEA said:
We are about to start compiling a database for new signature player animations for MLB2010. We would like your input what Chris is looking for is any player specific routines, rituals, celebrations, home run routines, etc......... That any player might do that we currently don't have in the game.

So here is the template just fill it out. (Don't worry about the video we can get our hands on that.) Chris just needs to know who does it, what they do, when they do it, and how often they do it.

Team: (Self Explanatory)
Players Name: (Self Explanatory)
Signature/Personal Routine: (These can be anything and everything I.E. Batter walk ups, signature home run routines, K-Rods antics after a save, special handshakes after a run is scored, etc......) Also please use extreme detail when describing what the player(s) do.
What game situation(s) and how often does the player(s) perform this routine? (Self Explanatory)
Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/foru...player-animations-personal-routines-help.html

This is fucking bullshit. I did a 29 game season and Manny Ramirez goes down with an 'inflamed hip' and he's out for 4 weeks. That's the whole fucking season when you're only playing 29 games!

Now I have to reset my season and start over. Why can't developers adjust this type of bullshit? I'm forced to turn injuries completely off.

And I don't care what people say, the hitting is boinked. The majority of hits I get are grounders up the middle and home runs, yet I'm hitting the ball all types of ways. I play on All-Star, but if I go down to Veteran I can keep the A.I. scoreless almost every game, so I can't bump it down.

I also do swing analysis with the left thumbstick and it says my aim was "Wheelhouse" and my timing was "Perfect" yet it's a dribbler to the shortstop. This was with a Manny Ramirez power swing, too.

This game is so real in most areas, that it really sticks out in others when it isn't.

CartridgeBlower said:
Now I have to reset my season and start over. Why can't developers adjust this type of bullshit? I'm forced to turn injuries completely off.

C'mon, Manny taking a month off for some mysterious hip inflammation isn't realistic? :lol

I also do swing analysis with the left thumbstick and it says my aim was "Wheelhouse" and my timing was "Perfect" yet it's a dribbler to the shortstop. This was with a Manny Ramirez power swing, too.

If its a pitch low in the zone/on the corners etc, your chances of driving it are reduced. So you might be swinging at too many pitcher's pitches? Thats the only thing I can think of, I haven't had these problems to be honest. I get great hit variety and when I hit a ball on the screws I immediately know it. Same if I foul off a pitch, pull off, get jammed etc. The swing analysis correlates pretty accurately in my experience, but I rely more on the actual plate coverage than the text.

Sanjuro

CartridgeBlower said:
This is fucking bullshit. I did a 29 game season and Manny Ramirez goes down with an 'inflamed hip' and he's out for 4 weeks. That's the whole fucking season when you're only playing 29 games!

And I don't care what people say, the hitting is boinked. The majority of hits I get are grounders up the middle and home runs, yet I'm hitting the ball all types of ways. I play on All-Star, but if I go down to Veteran I can keep the A.I. scoreless almost every game, so I can't bump it down.

This game is so real in most areas, that it really sticks out in others when it isn't.
Four weeks for Manny is a blessing.

Barrett2

Hey guys, using the Mets I won the penant last night in my Franchise!

April Fools - Im' in last place and out of money after signing Manny, who is hitting a cool .155

-_-

Is the pre-install supposed to take this long? I had to redo it and delete data but it feels like 20 minutes already when they said 6-7, and it isn't halfway done.

Top Bottom