• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
That's a tough one, I would probably pick PNC.

20fesxz.jpg

ilikeme said:
Never played a baseball video game before. Now I have for a few hours and it's great so far, making me actually appreciate the sport more. I live in Sweden so I don't really get to experience it live :s

But one thing bugs me, probably because I'm retarded. I created a player (great fun customizing the guy but it took for ever) and I don't know where he is now. Where do players go after you create them?

I cheched the manual but no luck. Please help, he was such a cool guy! =( I thought I'd play with him in Road to the Show, but I have to create a new player, or so it says =(
Check the Free Agents, should be there.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Having been to 25 out of 30 stadiums.. AT&T Park easily.

I envy you. My dream is to see a game in every major stadium in the USA and England. And yeah AT&T park is awesome. Was just there on Wednesday. Great night, my little niece got a ball from Manny Parra.

Barrett2

Well, I give up. 30 games into my season, im' just not good enough to play on All Star (3/5) mode. My hitters seem to magically hit soft grounders DIRECTLY TO infielders almost every time. Either that or they pop it up. That combined with the fact that at least one of my pitchers will completely lose control each game..... it was practically impossible for me to win. Plus its the little things. On All Star difficult, if I hit a ball towards the CPU pitcher, he manages to grab it and make the throw to first almost every time. But it the CPU hits a soft grounder towards my pitcher, it rolls by him every time..... Anyways, hopefully I will do better on 2/5 difficulty.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
sun-drop said:
whats the most impressive staduim in baseball these days? i've been out of the loop.
Im totally bias (huge giants fan) so I would say AT&T Park (Or if you prefer calling it PacBell Park or SBC Park :lol)

Question: Anyone know why, in the Save/Load section of my franchise, it says the sliders have to be saved after every game? Is the game adjusting to my performance, or is this just a bug I'm getting?

eznark

Banned
I haven't been to AT&T but I've been to most listed. PNC and Great American are both excellent parks. Obviously Miller Park > all else.

Dragon

Banned
Fenway Pahk.

I've only been to Coors, Safeco, the old Yankee Stadium but I like Fenway the best. Mostly because I weigh 175 lbs and I used to get free tickets.

Runus

Returners said:
So happy today:

MY RTTS PLAYER HIT AN INSIDE THE PARK HOMER :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyq7iqZeBdM

I did this yesterday too. However in fairness it was a HUGE glitch. I actually hit a home run. It showed the ball going over the left field wall, but the outfielder was just running in place against the wall. It made me run the bases all the way around. Oh well, counted as a home run. But still, it was my first HR in RTTS, so it was fun.

Proc

I am getting so much mileage out of this demo. Between this and guitar hero metallica, it's practically all I play in between exams.

I'm finally getting used to the swinging timing. I love how fast the demo boots up and gets ready to play. I ought to buy it one of these days.

Ryck

I think there is something wrong with me. I got this game last week and I love it, but damn it I completely and utterly suck at it. I had 07 skipped 08 and so it's not the first time I play "The Show" I am playing on rookie with all the sliders in my favor and I cannot win a game to save my life. I have lost 4 straight games in my season, is their something I am missing why is this game so hard?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Ryck said:
I think there is something wrong with me. I got this game last week and I love it, but damn it I completely and utterly suck at it. I had 07 skipped 08 and so it's not the first time I play "The Show" I am playing on rookie with all the sliders in my favor and I cannot win a game to save my life. I have lost 4 straight games in my season, is their something I am missing why is this game so hard?

Just be patient, this years game is harder, and you're not alone in expressing early frustration. I play this game A LOT and I still get munched on sometimes.

doktorpeace said:
Question: Anyone know why, in the Save/Load section of my franchise, it says the sliders have to be saved after every game? Is the game adjusting to my performance, or is this just a bug I'm getting?

I get this too. Haven't quite figured out what it is as I don't change anything. I just ignore it and everything seems ok.

Ryck said:

Hitting is significantly harder (more realistic) this year. Here's a great little practice tutorial on OS (Vid 06) http://www.operationsports.com/videoview_game.php?id=560

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Outcast2004 said:
I have a question...

I'm using the Indians and I'm a few months into franchise mode.

So I play my away series at Tampa Bay. First two games are in Tropicana Field (what a dump), then it puts us into this small minor league outdoor stadium (yet the attendance is 33k!?).

Is there some time this year when Tampa intends on playing a few outdoor games at another park inthe area or is this is just an odd glitch?

In 07 and 08 they played a series in a minor league stadium at Disney's wide world of sports against Texas and Toronto respectively. I don't think they will this year though.

Ward

This is my first baseball game since Griffey Presents MLB for the N64. I'm enjoying it for the most part.

I'm finally enjoying RTTS as a SP now. Playing as a hitter is frustrating.

I tried LF, but I couldn't keep up with progression goals, stabilizing my training, and trying to build the type of player I wanted.

I hit well the first two games, but after that every hit went right to a fielder and my avg. dropped to .100. I simmed through a bunch of games trying to get ahead of the curve and finally was starting in the majors. Then I'm traded and playing bench in AA. I got no points and all my skills dropped, so I quit.

Is their a trick to getting points as a hitter?

Pitching seems a lot easier, though granted I'm only in the end of the first spring training.

Returners

Ward said:
This is my first baseball game since Griffey Presents MLB for the N64. I'm enjoying it for the most part.

I'm finally enjoying RTTS as a SP now. Playing as a hitter is frustrating.

I tried LF, but I couldn't keep up with progression goals, stabilizing my training, and trying to build the type of player I wanted.

I hit well the first two games, but after that every hit went right to a fielder and my avg. dropped to .100. I simmed through a bunch of games trying to get ahead of the curve and finally was starting in the majors. Then I'm traded and playing bench in AA. I got no points and all my skills dropped, so I quit.

Is their a trick to getting points as a hitter?

Pitching seems a lot easier, though granted I'm only in the end of the first spring training.

Up Contact and Plate Vision/Discipline. Decide what hitter you want to be: Contact & Speed (which includes base stealing) or power hitter (up power & clutch probably).

Use the right stick to influence the ball up for higher hits, down for ground balls.

Also, I turned down the fielder's speed (globally) by 2 cause I think they run down balls very quickly (thats IMO)

Returners

I have a question, if I'm batting left handed, do I need to up stats in power of right?

Also, does anyone have the Plate Coverage Indicator shown?

Kccitystar

Returners said:
I have a question, if I'm batting left handed, do I need to up stats in power of right?

Yes. You have two meters for Power, one is versus left handed pitching and one is versus right handed pitching.

Zero Hero

NOooooooooooooooooooo

I've hit the crashing bug in Sept. in my RttS. As soon as the minor league season was over, I got called up, played 1 game, and now I can't get past a certain date without it crashing. Looking around, I see it is a known issue but I didn't have a training session to skip. I hope the patch is released soon because I'm stuck and don't want to start over.

I guess they just want me to play my other games in the mean time. :/

Proc

Going to buy this game tonight. May end up sacrificing killzone 2 for it (money is tight and the paid dlc is giving me bad vibes about how the online scene will turn out, of which I barely take part in as is). Motorstorm 2 is on sale, so i may end up grabbing that as well. PS3 weekend confirmed.

GodofWine

Proc said:
Going to buy this game tonight. May end up sacrificing killzone 2 for it (money is tight and the paid dlc is giving me bad vibes about how the online scene will turn out, of which I barely take part in as is). Motorstorm 2 is on sale, so i may end up grabbing that as well. PS3 weekend confirmed.

I almost did the same thing...but I kept KZ2 to give it another month..then if it still pisses me off Im trading it for UFC...but I just got MLB, and its awesome, played a game online, 3 star connection and it was perfect...so that made me happy.

I also have MSPR, if you wanna add me for those games - PSN = Skigazzi for MLB and PSN = TheGodofWine on MS2 (had account issues, lost all data, made a new one...but still play MS2 and Warhawk with the old one online since my stats are saved remotely for those)

GodofWine said:
I almost did the same thing...but I kept KZ2 to give it another month..then if it still pisses me off Im trading it for UFC...but I just got MLB, and its awesome, played a game online, 3 star connection and it was perfect...so that made me happy.

I also have MSPR, if you wanna add me for those games - PSN = Skigazzi for MLB and PSN = TheGodofWine on MS2 (had account issues, lost all data, made a new one...but still play MS2 and Warhawk with the old one online since my stats are saved remotely for those)

I was actually about to trade in KZ 2 yesterday but I decided to give the MP a real shot and I ended up enjoying it a lot. So I'm holding on to it for a while longer. I bought MLB 09 at launch though and it is a must own.

Barrett2

Proc said:

Do it. I haven't touched SF4 or KZ2 since buying this. MLB09 will easily be my most played game this year.

Sidenote - In my season with the Mets, I signed Rivera as my closer, he was absolutely horrible, but I managed to trade him for Manny who is now hitting close to .400. Now that's managing a ballclub! :D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Hit a grand slam with francouer against the nats. Probably my favorite trophy I've gotten so far.

The game is much more fun on veteran difficulty for me, all star is too hard.

Also, I signed up for the gaf league but couldn't really make the games so I asked to be booted...but I still got the league trophy lol

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone else had the issue when you record a replay you can't get out of the menu? I had this last night when I threw a perfect game and well lets just say when I shut the machine down (and lost the game) I wanted to pitch the game disk at the wall.

Mrbob

Yeah I got stuck in the replay mode as well trying to get footage of a triple play in an online game. Hope this gets fixed in the upcoming patch.

Are there any patch notes?

alanias

I have run into a very specific bug, just wanted to let you guys know since I was able to reproduce it. In rivalry mode if you pitch as John Smoltz, when you go to the bullpen it forces you to replace him, even if no one is ready. This is true for the other team, so it was a game ending bug when my friend couldn't replace John Smoltz since he was playing as the Yankees. It's happened twice now with the same pitcher so it seems to be a very specific bug.

sun-drop

when pitching in RTTS ... can you change the cam to the normal view, ie behind the batter .... when playing from the pitchers perspective you miss all the awesome stadium graphics ..such a waste ...

Mrbob

Patch is up. Notes:

MLB 09 The Show PS3: Patch 2 Addressed Issues

General:

* AL and NL West (including Cubs) schedule addresses. Day games updated to correct time zone.
* Addressed CPU Pitcher Energy from always full when pressing the quick menu while batting.
* Fixed the issue when in the bullpen moving from last pitcher (closer) to top pitcher, the top pitcher's stats stay the same as the closer.
* Inning pitched count corrected for pitchers during spring training. This is in ALL SEASON Modes.
* Fixed AUTO BASERUNNING. Users should no longer be able to control steels for you or CPU using L1 and L2 in any game at any time.
* Fixed the Movie Recording feature in both Replay and Replay Vault. Users should no longer get stuck after multiple recordings.
* Players names not being called correctly in the audio. One specific item was Beltran being called Delgado and vice versa. This line used to be erroneously said for Juan Rivera. It has now been corrected to play for Casey Kotchman. This line used to be erroneously said for David Ortiz. This line used to be erroneously said for Miguel Cabrera. It has now been "disabled".
* Career stats after going online and using weekly online Live Rosters or using the Online Roster Vault should now be correct.
* Fixed issues with unbalanced trades when the rosters were full. 3 for 1 trades that will result in people being placed on waivers should now function.
* Fix the problem in RTTS as the pitcher when a baserunner from 1st steals, the camera would sometimes swing around thru the crowd.
* Fix switch hitter sub presentations using the wrong helmet sometimes.
* Fix RTTS CP never getting a goal before the 1st pitch
* Fix the Batter Training camera automatically being set to Catcher Cam.
* Fix the Flashback Presentation X out problem.

Franchise Bugs

1.Fixed September 14 Road to the Show season lock.
2.Scouted players should now have feedback at the time of the amateur draft in June.
3.Fixed CPU roster control and lineup issue where users turn cpu roster control on, set a lineup, but lineup changes do not hold.
4.Fixed a bug where the user controlled team would not receive compensation picks when they lose Type A and B freeagents.
5.Fixed bug not allowing farm directors to be hired or fired. Just load into a franchise and fire a farm director during the off-season.
6.Addressed a problem where the title loses simulating functionality in franchise mode when addressing online requests.

Online:
1.Addressed Free Agents in the Online league Live draft. They should now be placed on teams through Roster Update are usable on user’s teams. (Guys like Manny Ramirez or Adam Dunn should now be available.)
2.Fixed Message Board bug that result in no messages being shown after changing full pages.
3.Reduced online game bandwidth usage.
4.Made minor change to the League create screen to Randomize the Draft time to various 30 minute increments from 12noon from 8pm.
An attempt to fix in-game disconnect issues in the production community. This is in an effort to stop the dreaded traffic delay problem the the community is reporting.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Anyone have some tips for RTTS SP? Im currently in my 3rd year and just got into the majors.
Stats:
Stam: 85
PCLT: 56
H/9: 79
HR/9: 44
K/9: 47
BB/9: 43

4SFB
VEL: 99
CTRL: 95
BRK: 71

CH
VEL: 60
CTRL: 68
BRK: 41

CB
VEL: 46
CTRL: 47
BRK: 55

Slider
VEL: 39
CTRL: 61
BRK: 21

Offense/Defense stats really low.

I mostly use my fastball to setup for a changeup. What stats should I raise first? I was debating on either improving my 234 pitches or my Hits/Clutch/Ks. This is first time I played as a pitcher in my RTTS, usually an outfielder.

Baker

Banned
Man, I put like 7 hours into this game on Saturday and I'm still only in June on Road to the Show.

I absolutely suck at hitting. The last baseball game I played seriously/for money was ASB 2001/2 (can't remember). I still have muscle memory to move the swing location from Down to wherever the ball goes, so I miss 99% of the pitches in this game because it locks you in. I changed the camera angle to Wide, and that helped with making contact somewhat. My dude is still barely in AA though and went on like an 8 game strikeout spree, hehe.

I was playing so bad, I pretty much got demoted to a pinch runner! There was an injury though, so I got to start a game and went 4 for 5 with three doubles, so that got me back into the line up for a bit.

So all in all, batting still makes absolutely no sense to me. It really seems like when the ball "looks" like it's going into the dirt, 50% of the time it goes in the dirt and 50% of time it's somehow right down the middle of the plate.

GodofWine

Baker said:
So all in all, batting still makes absolutely no sense to me. It really seems like when the ball "looks" like it's going into the dirt, 50% of the time it goes in the dirt and 50% of time it's somehow right down the middle of the plate.

Yea, same here, the low fastball never looks like its gonna be in the zone, and then, BAM...called strike 3...

I think Im going to be a closer in RTTS...seems straight forward enough.

Jazzy Network said:
There's a bug in franchise when I look at a previous game's box score it puts me back onto the dashboard or whatever it's called. Annoying.

Yeah sucks don't it, I deleted my franchise and this help, some have deleted the patch and re installed see if that helps.

Zero Hero

Baker said:
Man, I put like 7 hours into this game on Saturday and I'm still only in June on Road to the Show.

I absolutely suck at hitting. The last baseball game I played seriously/for money was ASB 2001/2 (can't remember). I still have muscle memory to move the swing location from Down to wherever the ball goes, so I miss 99% of the pitches in this game because it locks you in. I changed the camera angle to Wide, and that helped with making contact somewhat. My dude is still barely in AA though and went on like an 8 game strikeout spree, hehe.

I was playing so bad, I pretty much got demoted to a pinch runner! There was an injury though, so I got to start a game and went 4 for 5 with three doubles, so that got me back into the line up for a bit.

Here are some tips that helped me:

Go to the sliders and slow down the pitch speed for when you are batting. try only a notch or 2 at first. It may just give you that extra half a second to react more appropriately to the pitch.

Always guess pitch a fast ball. That way if you don't get the signal, you'll know that a slower pitch is coming your way.

Almost never swing at the first pitch. Don't swing at the second pitch if the first was a ball. I always take a first strike. Work the count because it forces the pitcher to throw you more hittable balls.

Very early in your career, you just aren't that good. When you are 18, 19, 20 years old you are building up your character so expect to hit around .280 to low .300 and unless you dumped a big chunk of points into power, very little home runs.

Have fun and good luck.

Zero Hero

jstevenson said:
Threw my first no-hitter in RTTS... awesome.

That is quite and achievement IMO. Congrats.

The patch didn't fix my issue crashing issue. :/
I'm too impatient and just started another career. Gotta get my 'show' on. ;)

Meier

Corran Horn said:
Anyone have some tips for RTTS SP? Im currently in my 3rd year and just got into the majors.

I added the knuckleballer based on recommendations here and it's a definite K pitch -- worth the addition. I'm disappointed that despite throwing 99-102, the majority of the hitters can still easily connect with the FB.

jstevenson said:
Threw my first no-hitter in RTTS... awesome.
Holy crap, congrats! I've thrown two 1-hitters... took a no-no into the 8th but that's as far as I've made it. I honestly feel like as I progress, I'm doing worse -- now I can't even seem to get shutouts despite the fact my guy is nearly maxed out on his pitches. :(

GodofWine

Wait...WAIT!!!!

Is there no HR Derby?? or Hitting mini games in this years game?? (or am I just blind)

Still a great game either way, totally got me back into sports games.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Meier said:
I added the knuckleballer based on recommendations here and it's a definite K pitch -- worth the addition. I'm disappointed that despite throwing 99-102, the majority of the hitters can still easily connect with the FB.

Holy crap, congrats! I've thrown two 1-hitters... took a no-no into the 8th but that's as far as I've made it. I honestly feel like as I progress, I'm doing worse -- now I can't even seem to get shutouts despite the fact my guy is nearly maxed out on his pitches. :(

Thanks! It was pretty epic, and my defense helped out with three line drive snares by the 2B and SS, plus a couple running line drive catches by the OFs.

I think I recorded 3 put-outs and 2 assists myself, so I was gettin off the mound (that arsehat who tried to bunt his way on in the 6th was NOT cool during the attempt).

I avoided the knuckler myself, it feels cheap. :) I throw a FB, CH, CUT, SL and CRV. Mainly use the FB/CUT/CH combo, with the Slider being a pitch I work in later on or as a strikeout pitch on 0-2, or 1-2 counts.

My advice for anyone is to be sure to check their hitting zones... use the fastballs on the corners, cutters breaking off the plate, or just onto the plate, and constantly mixing your speeds between the changeup (which should be thrown low and either tagging them at the knees or coming out of the zone). The change is a great strikeout pitch, or great set-up pitch if you're behind 2-0 or 3-1 in the count. I use the curve as a wild card. Sometimes I start them with it, use it when I'm ahead for a strikeout, and especially use it when I'm looking for a double play ball.

For strikeouts, stick with the slider low and away on a 0-2, 1-2 count. Or a mix of fastball (generally high... the CPU will swing at a lot of high strikes on 2-strike counts... aim it at the top edge of the zone and blow them away). The change-up is useful after a couple strikes as well.

Still, not 100% I'll throw a quality start sometimes and then get rocked for 3-4 runs in the first inning others. Generally though if you get the first 1-2 good innings in, the confidence will be so high you can throw 6-7 innings with no problem.

Baker

Banned
Zero Hero said:
Here are some tips that helped me:
Always guess pitch a fast ball. That way if you don't get the signal, you'll know that a slower pitch is coming your way.

Almost never swing at the first pitch. Don't swing at the second pitch if the first was a ball. I always take a first strike. Work the count because it forces the pitcher to throw you more hittable balls.

Very early in your career, you just aren't that good. When you are 18, 19, 20 years old you are building up your character so expect to hit around .280 to low .300 and unless you dumped a big chunk of points into power, very little home runs.

Have fun and good luck.
Thanks. I actually randomly figured those techniques last night and it's helped a lot. I make contact the majority of times now, but they're usually still outs.

Does guessing the wrong pitch end up shrinking your location selector like other baseball games?

Also, I'm not 100% sure how AA works, but the season standings reset sometime around the All-star game. The league's yearly stats are still there though. Is that a glitch? Like when I finally noticed it, all the players still had their season stats, but our record was 2-1.

Top Bottom