• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
lawblob said:
Hey guys, using the Mets I won the penant last night in my Franchise!

April Fools - Im' in last place and out of money after signing Manny, who is hitting a cool .155

-_-

:lol I'm in 4th :( But the Manny everyone signs is having a MVP year with 32 jacks at the break. He's trade bait for pitching talent.

lawblob said:
Hey guys, using the Mets I won the penant last night in my Franchise!

April Fools - Im' in last place and out of money after signing Manny, who is hitting a cool .155

-_-

That's what happens to All-Stars who sign with the mets. :lol

Over at operationsports there's a lot of good debate going on.

It seems like the computer always scores in the first inning of a game with computer assistance OFF. With it ON, the computer will play more naturally for the first 6 innings, but then come the 7th, the game breaks and you start making errors every other play until they catch up.

I can't tell you the number of times I've scored only to have the computer score the very next inning. They don't swing at balls, and every pitch they hit they nail with insane amounts of power. This is with the computer assistance OFF.

The problem is, there is computer assistance either way, with the setting turned ON or OFF.

And for the life of me I have no idea why SCEA decided to do this. MLB 08 had none of this. If it did, it was very little and hardly game changing.

After playing for over two weeks and seeing this in every single game I've played, I've decided to return this game. It's not worth the frustration. Everything else is so perfect, but when the A.I. (and online) are this shitty, there's zero point to playing.

CartridgeBlower said:

It seems like the computer always scores in the first inning of a game with computer assistance OFF. With it ON, the computer will play more naturally for the first 6 innings, but then come the 7th, the game breaks and you start making errors every other play until they catch up.

I can't tell you the number of times I've scored only to have the computer score the very next inning. They don't swing at balls, and every pitch they hit they nail with insane amounts of power. This is with the computer assistance OFF.

The problem is, there is computer assistance either way, with the setting turned ON or OFF.

And for the life of me I have no idea why SCEA decided to do this. MLB 08 had none of this. If it did, it was very little and hardly game changing.

After playing for over two weeks and seeing this in every single game I've played, I've decided to return this game. It's not worth the frustration. Everything else is so perfect, but when the A.I. (and online) are this shitty, there's zero point to playing.

I could show you dozens of box scores against the CPU that completely shut down this nonsense. So can many others. But as Chris Rock put it, "don't let that fuck ya up".

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
CartridgeBlower said:

I don't have this problem.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
CartridgeBlower said:

I am 35 games into my franchise and don't see this at all.

Btw my Manny (in my drafted franchise) is killing 18 dingers in 35 games and batting about 320..

Sanjuro

I have no problems with online at all. The netcode in the game is poor but it is still miles ahead of any online baseball game I have ever played.

tim1138

Picked this up yesterday and its my first time playing any version of the Show. The presentation and animation are just amazing, and as a Reds fan I LOVE that when Jay Bruce comes up to bat the crowd goes "BRUUUUUUCE!". So cool.

Does anyone have any hints for hitting? I seem to be doing alright on the mound and in the field but can't hit to save my life. In my only full game I lost 3-0, gave up 2 solo HR's and an unearned run off an error. I only gave up 4 hits but only managed 4 of my own.

Mrbob

CartridgeBlower said:

Chalk up another person who hasn't had this issue.

I do agree though the CPU has a keen eye in the game. It is too good the way it can hold off on a pitch barely outside the zone. But you can get them out and have them swing at bad pitches every once in awhile.

Does anyone have any hints for hitting? I seem to be doing alright on the mound and in the field but can't hit to save my life. In my only full game I lost 3-0, gave up 2 solo HR's and an unearned run off an error. I only gave up 4 hits but only managed 4 of my own.

Practice hitting in batting mode.

Wishing I had the game as the season is here but seeing these Mario Kart stuff is lame.

And seeing some sim stats makes me feel better that I am not missing a game that has unquestionably surpassed High Heat. It had very good sim stats.

shpankey

not an idiot
Well, I think the game does cheat to be honest. But what can you do.

Also, turning the UMP to OFF, which is supposed to call "perfect" balls and strikes, certainly does not work. Not sure why they even included it since they still call their own strike zones.

Shurs

Why doesn't this game automatically load the updated roster I have downloaded and saved to my HDD? Am I doing something wrong?

Sanjuro

Shurs said:
Why doesn't this game automatically load the updated roster I have downloaded and saved to my HDD? Am I doing something wrong?
It will if you are using it in a mode. If you just boot the game go to roster and load.

Mets fans didn't get Shef yet.

They fucking keep taking from us. They took away Smoltz now and didn't give us back Lugo. Ugh.

HBP

DevelopmentArrested said:
its opening day
where the fuck are the rosters

I think they come out Tuesday? Anyway I will be checking tonight, I always wait til opening day for the new rosters so I can start my franchise!

Meier

Blackace said:
I am 35 games into my franchise and don't see this at all.

Btw my Manny (in my drafted franchise) is killing 18 dingers in 35 games and batting about 320..
I started a franchise in Draft mode (btw, what the FUCK were they thinking in not allowing you to simulate to the end in a 75 round draft?!) and got Manny and Ichiro. Both retired after the 2nd season, argh! Talk about gutting an outfield..

JB1981 said:
Just got this game from Amazon today. How is the online scene?

Great.

Although I'm extremely pissed I was up 5-1 today playing online and this jackass pauses the game for the whole five, comes back, I throw one pitch and connection gets fucked. It tells me there's a problem and takes me to the main screen and I didn't get the win or any stats from the game, that's a load of BS.

Meier

Stupid fucking bug STRIKES AGAIN. Dumbass game saved a 1 second replay and then when I tried to get it to record the video like I wanted it gives the error about not being able to record and then no combination of buttons gets you out of the replay. I swear, this thing is such a buggy piece of shit sometimes...

Meier

Just had the replay crash bug ruin another game. Most obnoxious bug in the history of sports video games. What a waste of a fucking night I swear.

DevelopmentArrested said:
next week i guess?

I thought Rosters came out this week. Still, not everyone has played a game in the majors yet so it is best to wait for next week or wait for Knights rosters over at operation sports to be finished. Those are the ones I will be using. Full major and minor league edits.

Barrett2

Just had a nice 12th inning victory over the Marlins. Ryan Church hit a sac-fly for the RBI.

Finally getting comfortable with my settings / sliders. I am a glutton for punishment with sports games, I always want to set the difficulty just beyond my ability, because I hate winning every game in a season... then I end up sub-500 and hating the game. Ehh... what are you gonna do?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
PS3 Only

On behalf of the entire MLB The Show development team we would like to take this time to first thank everyone for playing MLB 09 and being so patient with us as we work through some of the issues the community has experienced. We are very aware of these problems and we would like to announce that we are indeed working on a patch to fix the most glaring offline and online bugs and glitches you have encountered in this years game. When the patch is ready for deployment we will give an update with the contents of the patch. In meantime, we have found a work around for one of the most glaring bugs, the Road to the Show crash. If you skip all training sessions (batting and base running) during the month of September you should be fine. We know this is not ideal, however until the patch is ready for public release this will allow you to continue playing your RTTS save files (if the save file is before entering a training session). We take these issues and concerns very seriously and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Once again, thank you for your time and your patience. We will update the community as soon as the patch release date is set.

MLB The Show Development Team
http://www.operationsports.com/foru...ment-mlb-development-team.html#post2039396999

C'mon guys... I know you are playing a lot of baseball here, we have a free spot in the GAF league.

Settings are as follows:

45 games over 10 weeks
3 game series done in 5 day increments
1 series against division opponents
1 series outside of division
All Star Difficulty
Pitching Interface Meter
Guess Pitch off
Strike zones on
Hot Zones on
Fast Play On
Baserunning controls New
Draft Off
Playoff teams 8 (will have to bump down to 4 if we only have 14 total players!)

Please play your games at night. This will give the best chance of having less lag when during the game!

I don't know how the playoff situation exactly works. My guess is it takes the 8 best records, but it could be split up 4 and 4. Your best bet would be to make sure you are in the top 4 in your division for record and the top 8 overall to make sure you get in. Otherwise all bets are off!

Everyone already knows we will try to play this like a sim league. It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate, but please don't throw junk balls outside the strike zone to your opponent all game long. Having said this, there aren't going to be any regulations against pitching in this game. If you are a patient enough hitter you can force your opponent to throw some strikes over the plate to smash. Don't go swinging right away at all the pitches being thrown! If you are swinging at sliders outside the strike zone you only have yourself to blame! And it will happen to all of us this season.

You must use at least four of your starters in a regular rotation. Since the league can't track them we will be using the honor system on it. If you forget what starter you used just count back the days from the first game and go from there! Playoffs will be bumped down to 3 starters.

Remember a TROPHY is on the line for the victor of this league, so play to win, play smart, play hard, and good luck to everyone! Lets get this party started!
One spot open, you have to take the Angels.

Barrett2

Holy crap... 16 inning game, I lost.

I have the CPU assist turned off, but it still feels like I am constantly getting screwed. This last game, I got up by 4 runs in the top of the 1st. Bottom of the first the CPU scores 5 runs. Then no runs til the 8th, when we both score one. They eventually win in the 16th. So frustrating...

Mrbob

Good news about the patch.

Lawblob post in the online thread if you want in.

Except for one small hiccup, week 1 went much better than I ever anticipated. I think this thing can hold up for a whole season (and maybe more), which is awesome. I've learned some tricks I'll apply to season 2 if we make it that far!

Maybe Mushashi won't be scurrrrrrrrdy cat once the season 2 thread goes up in a couple months. :D

Meier

So sick of the game calling foul balls homeruns... pisses me off to no end.

29y3txf.jpg

2qbel9v.jpg

And no, this isn't one that went over the top of the pole and hooked. It was 100% a foul ball.

bluemax

Banned
Meier said:
Dmitri Young is way too good in this game.

I hate, hate, hate it. For some reason, fielding is a BITCH to raise too... it goes so damn slow.

In my RTTS Young is the AL leader in hitting in 2010.

And yeah the hit up the middle to the pitcher is stupid in RTTS.

ViperVisor said:
Wishing I had the game as the season is here but seeing these Mario Kart stuff is lame.

And seeing some sim stats makes me feel better that I am not missing a game that has unquestionably surpassed High Heat. It had very good sim stats.

No. It really doesn't and it really hasn't. This sim engine in this game is only slightly above average for a console video game.

umm lawblob... we kinda need an answer ASAP on if you're joining/taking over the Angels.

EDIT: lawblob can't make it into the league. We got an open spot and we need someone to take over for the Angels!!!

ilikeme

Never played a baseball video game before. Now I have for a few hours and it's great so far, making me actually appreciate the sport more. I live in Sweden so I don't really get to experience it live :s

But one thing bugs me, probably because I'm retarded. I created a player (great fun customizing the guy but it took for ever) and I don't know where he is now. Where do players go after you create them?

I cheched the manual but no luck. Please help, he was such a cool guy! =( I thought I'd play with him in Road to the Show, but I have to create a new player, or so it says =(

The Frankman said:
umm lawblob... we kinda need an answer ASAP on if you're joining/taking over the Angels.

EDIT: lawblob can't make it into the league. We got an open spot and we need someone to take over for the Angels!!!

I'll take em.

I have a question...

I'm using the Indians and I'm a few months into franchise mode.

So I play my away series at Tampa Bay. First two games are in Tropicana Field (what a dump), then it puts us into this small minor league outdoor stadium (yet the attendance is 33k!?).

Is there some time this year when Tampa intends on playing a few outdoor games at another park inthe area or is this is just an odd glitch?

Top Bottom