• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

jmd494

So...why does the ball's shadow get larger as the ball goes up during a pop-up during day games. Is the ball getting close enough to the sun to have a noticeable effect on the size of the ball's shadow? :lol (not a complaint...just a little funny)

Mrbob said:
Trying to be the new Yankees with all those signings? :lol

You better start jacking up some prices at the stadium!

I did a bit.... just compensate. I have a few really good prospects in my farm system, I just need a little time for them to mature... and I want a World Series win in Cleveland dammit!

Let's just say that hot dogs and popcorn just got a little more expensive at Progressive Field.

bluemax

Banned
I fucking hate how idiotic fielders are in RTTS mode as a pitcher. I've seen some unbelievably stupid shit.

Honestly for the "most realistic baseball game EVAR" this game has some really annoying bouts.

Also fuck whoever did the rosters, Jon Lester is not as good as you think he is. I've simmed 2009 5 times just to see what kind of crazy shit the game thinks will happen, and it thinks Jon Lester is going to turn into Johan Santana at his peak.

CzarTim

Outcast2004 said:
I did a bit.... just compensate. I have a few really good prospects in my farm system, I just need a little time for them to mature... and I want a World Series win in Cleveland dammit!

Let's just say that hot dogs and popcorn just got a little more expensive at Progressive Field.
I'm playing also playing as the Indians... damn they suck.

bluemax said:
I fucking hate how idiotic fielders are in RTTS mode as a pitcher. I've seen some unbelievably stupid shit.

Honestly for the "most realistic baseball game EVAR" this game has some really annoying bouts.

Also fuck whoever did the rosters, Jon Lester is not as good as you think he is. I've simmed 2009 5 times just to see what kind of crazy shit the game thinks will happen, and it thinks Jon Lester is going to turn into Johan Santana at his peak.

I was going to post about the fielders in RTTS as a pitcher. They really fucking suck. I don't know if you played through RTTS as a hitter but the opposing teams fielders are capable of making some fantastic plays to rob you of hits. My fielders in pitching never do that. :(

czartim said:
I'm playing also playing as the Indians... damn they suck.
...and they really shouldn't be. They have a real solid team.

But they do base it off last year's stats and they had a bad year.

If it weren't for free agency, I'd be down there with the Royals.

Did you sign Dunn? If not, do so and put him after Hafner in the lineup. They'll pitch around Hafner and give Dunn the good pitches. Big mistake since he's got stupid power.

Dragon

Banned
bluemax said:

Well Lester isn't close to Santana, but he's certainly turning into a very good pitcher.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DoctorWho said:
I was going to post about the fielders in RTTS as a pitcher. They really fucking suck. I don't know if you played through RTTS as a hitter but the opposing teams fielders are capable of making some fantastic plays to rob you of hits. My fielders in pitching never do that. :(

It's been give and take on my end. They can make great plays and they can make shitty plays. I've seen the same from my teammates playing in the field. I haven't really seen a reason to complain about that, but I haven't played as a pitcher in RTTS yet. As a guy who watches a lot of AA and AAA ball, it's been a solid ratio of great plays to WTF plays. :lol

eznark

Banned
DoctorWho said:

I'm in the Brewers organization, with a SS (Alcides Escobar) widely regarded as the best defensive player in the minor leagues. He is TERRIBLE in this game. Absolutely terrible.

I'm on my second RTTS season as a pitcher. I thought it was funny that Rickie Weeks got a demotion to AAA in the 2010 season.

CzarTim

Outcast2004 said:
...and they really shouldn't be. They have a real solid team.

But they do base it off last year's stats and they had a bad year.

If it weren't for free agency, I'd be down there with the Royals.

Did you sign Dunn? If not, do so and put him after Hafner in the lineup. They'll pitch around Hafner and give Dunn the good pitches. Big mistake since he's got stupid power.
Thanks for the tips. I find it ridiculous how many players are on the team that cant bat worth a damn despite having crazy stats. *Looks at Sizemore* And it's not me either. I hit better with the bench than I do with these guys. I blame the coaches.

lawblob said:
You can control concession prices during franchise mode? Awesome. :lol

You can control EVERYTHING from the junk food prices down to the parking and how many seats in your stadium

czartim said:
Thanks for the tips. I find it ridiculous how many players are on the team that cant bat worth a damn despite having crazy stats. *Looks at Sizemore* And it's not me either. I hit better with the bench than I do with these guys. I blame the coaches.
Well I can't say anything about Sizemore. I have him on leadoff an he's batting a .430...

Garko on the other hand is well below the Mendoza line... a whopping .165 avg

Again, check the slider settings I posted from Opeation Sports on the last page. They're been tested by at least 30-40 players simming games vs. CPU and several franchise seasons. They should correct some of the fielding issues and "Cannon Arm" syndrome, not to mention pitchers who shouldn't be accurate turning into Greg Maddux.

Returners

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
One thing that bothers me though, where do they get off with some of these made up minor league pitchers? You have these random Korean dudes throwing 97 heat on the black. And if that wasn't enough, he's also got a 12-6 curve, a circle change, a cutter, a screwball, a splitter, a slider, and an eephus pitch. Im half expecting them to drop side arm in the middle of an at bat followed by a cut scene of the pitcher flipping me the bird and laughing his ass off.

Knuckleballs. They f-up the timing REALLY bad.

Meier

My pitcher started the AA All-Star game but came in as a replacement in my AAA game this season (2010). My one complaint about RTTS is that I'll be cruising, throwing a great game and then out of nowhere my guy will just lose it and can't find the zone at all. Then I'll give up a hit or two and all the sudden my great game is floundering. I know there's some realism in that, but sometimes it's just kind of obnoxious... oh well.

The other issue is it seems nearly impossible to field a groundball up the middle but I guess if I dump a lot of points into my fielding skills this might improve. I'll never meet my goals if I do that though and then get a lashing from the coach... decisions, decisions.

I picked a Sinker as my new pitch (still just using 4) -- sounds like adding a knuckleball might be a good idea.

bluemax said:
Yeah, it can be frustrating. A lot of balls that IMO should be errors are called hits too which pisses me off...

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
ok in RTTS as a pitcher - No matter which button I hit after fielding a bunt or dribbler, (circle or square) my pitcher ALWAYS throws it to 3rd base, one time he even threw it to 2nd base. am i missing something?

oh and there are so many glitches in fielding its not even funny - i still love the game though

also pitchers are far too good as hitters in this game.

Returners

Meier said:
I picked a Sinker as my new pitch (still just using 4) -- sounds like adding a knuckleball might be a good idea.

If you're throwing 85-90 fastballs and then suddenly throw a 68 knuckle (and as long as your control is good, its a really good way to strike out people)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
GashPrex said:
ok in RTTS as a pitcher - No matter which button I hit after fielding a bunt or dribbler, (circle or square) my pitcher ALWAYS throws it to 3rd base, one time he even threw it to 2nd base. am i missing something?

oh and there are so many glitches in fielding its not even funny - i still love the game though

also pitchers are far too good as hitters in this game.

Yea, in RTTS the controls are relative to your player, ie. first is to the left or the square button. I have no idea why they change it. The announcers even mocked me for throwing it to third with a knowing tone about it. It's odd.

HoTHiTTeR

Musashi Wins! said:
Yea, in RTTS the controls are relative to your player, ie. first is to the left or the square button. I have no idea why they change it. The announcers even mocked me for throwing it to third with a knowing tone about it. It's odd.

You can easily change that from "fielder" to "classic" to prevent you from making those mistakes.

Justin Dailey said:
So...why does the ball's shadow get larger as the ball goes up during a pop-up during day games. Is the ball getting close enough to the sun to have a noticeable effect on the size of the ball's shadow? :lol (not a complaint...just a little funny)

I noticed that too but I think it's used for fielding purposes to give you a sense of how high the ball is. It's more for tracking, not realism on that case.

HoTHiTTeR

Musashi Wins! said:
That's right! I don't get it in general though, why that's the default.

I think its a way to get the player more immersed in the game. If you spend all your time in RTTS then it's second nature to you that 1st is square and home is triangle if you're a SS or 2nd baseman. If you split time, or play more exhibition/franchise games then you need to turn classic on.

Barrett2

Musashi Wins! said:
He's hilarious in the field. Makes crazy catches, misses some weird flies, announcers notice, etc.

This is why I signed him to a ridiculous two year deal. Basically for the laughs. :D

Returners said:
Knuckleballs. They f-up the timing REALLY bad.
Fuck Tim Wakefield.

Every time he comes up the mound I cringe...because I KNOW I'm going to start piling up strikeouts because of that GOD DAMNED KNUCKLEBALL.

Core407

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
Fuck Tim Wakefield.

Every time he comes up the mound I cringe...because I KNOW I'm going to start piling up strikeouts because of that GOD DAMNED KNUCKLEBALL.

The knuckle ball is such a slow pitch. Just watch a couple of them being thrown to get the whole movement down. From there, just don't swing.

Meier

Returners said:
If you're throwing 85-90 fastballs and then suddenly throw a 68 knuckle (and as long as your control is good, its a really good way to strike out people)
I have upped my velocity quite a bit so I throw a 96 mph heater. I use a curve, sinker and changeup. Either my sinker or curve is in the low 70s.

Musashi Wins! said:
You can modify this setting to the classic mode where O (I think, whatever the button is that would correspond to 1st) throws to 1st.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Meier said:
You can modify this setting to the classic mode where O (I think, whatever the button is that would correspond to 1st) throws to 1st.

Yea, I'm not sure why I didn't change that immediately. I bounce back between this mode and the other a lot, so it's occasionally jarring. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but one time I threw to third and the announcer said something like, "It's almost like he's playing the game using a mirror!"

Anyone having trouble connecting to the game server? I was going to play someone

*ah, it's finally giving me a "applying live roster update" and "servers are down for maintenance" message. I think the rosters get updated today.

anddo0

Alex Anderson said:
Anyone having trouble connecting to the game server? I was going to play someone

*ah, it's finally giving me a "applying live roster update" and "servers are down for maintenance" message. I think the rosters get updated today.

I was able to download the roster update around 3pm est. The severs seem to be down now.

NL
MrBob - Da Cubs
Corran Horn - Giants
TeethMummy - Nationals
Core407 - Braves
jrman2050 - White Sox
The Frankman - Mets
LJ11 - Marlins
GQman - Dodgers
Tedesco! - Reds

AL
DCX - Yankees
Dez - Blue Jays
DM - Mariners
Sanjuro - Red Sox
czartim - Indians
ChrisGoldstein - Angels
sext0n - Twins
Jazzy Network - Rangers
Um, we need 1 more guy for the league. Should start this weekend, post in the MLB 09 Online thread.

Core407 said:
The knuckle ball is such a slow pitch. Just watch a couple of them being thrown to get the whole movement down. From there, just don't swing.
I try to tell myself that and think I can time it, but its always a weakness.

I have a hard time sitting on that damn pitch.

Mrbob

Oh yeah smacked a walk off homer in the bottom of the 13th to win online. Got my walk off trophy too. :D

Ramirez is god.

A RAM SLAM.

Returners

DoctorWho said:
Can you change how the running works in RTTS? I've never bothered to check. Drives me nuts!

Don't think so. I've tried looking into options and stuff. Seems we're stuck with what we have. I've gotten pretty good at baserunning now, the set of controls really makes you pay attention to the pitcher (esp. at first base)

CzarTim

Returners said:
Don't think so. I've tried looking into options and stuff. Seems we're stuck with what we have. I've gotten pretty good at baserunning now, the set of controls really makes you pay attention to the pitcher (esp. at first base)
You can change it to the buttons, or you can just change it so you don't do any baserunning.

For the default controls, you point the stick toward the base you want to go to based on the camera location. If the camera moves, you have a second or so to change the direction of the stick before it fucks up.

Returners

czartim said:
You can change it to the buttons, or you can just change it so you don't do any baserunning.

For the default controls, you point the stick toward the base you want to go to based on the camera location. If the camera moves, you have a second or so to change the direction of the stick before it fucks up.

actually no.

For example. Running on a double. You can hold the stick right when the guy's running to 1st and continue to hold it (this is when the camera changes and the controls, supposedly changes direction) when he's running from 1st to 2nd.

If you don't think you can make it to 2nd. Release stick, and then press it in the same direction. (cause the direction is now reversed) This is the part that f-s my logic up. But I got used to it soon enough.

Stealing bases though. Waaaaay more challenging in 09. Is the Lean button actually useful?

I actually think one of the most underrated aspects of this game is the audio. And I don't think the announcers are particularly amazing, but the depth of commentary is so substantial, it just boggles the mind how they thought of all of this stuff.

Also, I work for a site called SoxProspects.com and we put out our first ever podcast yesterday. I know this site is podcast crazy, so if you want to give it a listen I'll post the link below. We would appreciate any comments. Run time is 1:08.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/templeusox/SP_PodcastFinal.mp3

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
templeusox said:
I actually think one of the most underrated aspects of this game is the audio. And I don't think the announcers are particularly amazing, but the depth of commentary is so substantial, it just boggles the mind how they thought of all of this stuff.

Also, I work for a site called SoxProspects.com and we put out our first ever podcast yesterday. I know this site is podcast crazy, so if you want to give it a listen I'll post the link below. We would appreciate any comments. Run time is 1:08.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/templeusox/SP_PodcastFinal.mp3
probably better to post that in the MLB thread.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Does anyone know how I can create a roster/team using the golden/silver era stars?

Yes, I want to take a super team of old time favorites through season. Don't judge me.

So far, I don't see any way to mess with them outside of exhibition.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Got this game yesterday, let me start off by saying I'm not a huge baseball fan, but am trying to get back into it.

The game is definitely very impressive... I haven't played a baseball game since All-Star Baseball 2001, so it's obviously a huge step. The immensity of the game is very impressive... every little thing can be changed. (I love having Vernon Wells walk out to Jay-Z).

In terms of gameplay the fielding is really fun... and the pitching provides a good challenge. As with many others though I'm having a lot of difficulty batting. I find I'm swinging at 90% of the pitches.. even the really outside ones. Maybe that's just my hand eye acting up, I dunno, but it's really frustrating. If anyone has any tips let me know!

Other than that though the game is great.. it probably won't overtake NHL 09 or NBA 2k9 in terms of playtime.. but it's getting me excited about baseball season!

CzarTim

I played my first 2 online games today.

The first was pretty laggy, I only had 2 hits the whole game.

I don't know what happened in the second, I was down by 7 in the bottom of the 6th. A wild pitch was thrown and all of the sudden my ps3 reset. The web site doesn't even acknowledge that a game was played. Lag was more bearable up until then, but still not acceptable.

It amazes me how i can play a 64 player match of cod4 on the computer without any lag, but the second I play a 2 player game on what's suppose to be a "super computer" it lags like no tomorrow.

czartim said:
It amazes me how i can play a 64 player match of cod4 on the computer without any lag, but the second I play a 2 player game on what's suppose to be a "super computer" it lags like no tomorrow.

Not to apologize for MLB's shitty online experience (because its pretty damn shitty)... but in my limited understanding of how netcode works, I know FPS' are fantastically suited to hiding latency. You're not really pointing and shooting someone in real time, the netcode is essentially making a "prediction" for each shot and compensating after the fact. Since this brand of action has a relatively wide buffer to work with, its very conducive to network play (smoke and mirrors).

Conversely, something like a baseball sim requires very explicit timing. The buffer they have to work with is significantly narrower, which makes any code approximating the users intent that much more difficult. I think they could probably do a better job, but comparing it to a genre thats basically built for online play isn't helpful.

My fear with MLB:TS is the underlying engine may need an entire rewrite if its going to ever play well online. There's a lot of legacy code thats been iterated and refined over the years, without online in mind. It may require dumbing down the hitting model (at least in the timing department), which I'd rather not see.

jman2050

Being the masochist I am I started an RTTS as a second baseman with guess pitch off on Legend on default sliders.

I think my .113 spring training batting average speaks for itself.

Still, I did much better in the second half of spring training so maybe it's just a matter of relearning the hit timing and getting used to how god damn evil pitchers are on Legend.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Oh, the Hall of Fame (Golden and Silver Eras) players are in the Free Agent Pool in Roster Control so if you want to add Ty Cobb to your roster to see if he will challenge for the batting title, you can :)

Top Bottom