• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Fenix

Noticed Frasor spent a lot of time on the DL with "forearm tightness" How long until the Tommy John announcement?
He's already had 2 (both pre-MLB). That was his first stint on the DL ever and he was trying to pitch through that, since he took his no DL time as a point of pride.

I'd worry more about the extreme flyball nature of Frasor before worrying about TJ.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giants sign right-handed reliever Scott Proctor to minor-league deal:

Is there a way to find 13 interesting things about Scott Proctor? We shall see!

1. Scott Proctor isn't very good
2. The good news is that he was quite good in 24 Triple-A innings in 2011
3. Stats for Korean baseball are crazy-hard to find
4. Proctor was picked in the fifth round of the 1998 draft, exactly two picks before Ryan Vogelsong

When I clicked on Proctor's draft year, I was hoping that he was drafted in the same year as Frumsnitch Wunderbar or something. That would make an interesting thing about Scott Proctor.

Instead, he was taken by the Dodgers instead of Ryan Vogelsong. If the Dodgers take Vogelsong with their pick, maybe the Giants don't have the pieces to trade for Jason Schmidt. Maybe the Giants lose an extra game without Schmidt in 2001, and there's a player available in the draft at their new position who interested them more than Matt Cain. And, of course, Vogelsong never comes back to the Giants because he was never here with Dave Righetti in the first place.

So what I'm saying is that every Giants pennant and World Series since 1989 is because the Dodgers liked Scott Proctor more than Ryan Vogelsong. Connect the dots, people.

Vogelsong wasn't the best player drafted in the fifth round that year, though. Aubrey Huff went a few picks after that.

5. In Proctor's best season, he pitched in a league-leading 83 games, which allowed him to accumulate 102 innings

He was never the same after that. Basically, Joe Torre shot him in the arm with a syringe stuffed with Jim Brower.

6. His best similarity score on Baseball Reference is Jerry Spradlin
7. The hitter Proctor has faced the most in his career is Vernon Wells
8. Like Chad Gaudin, his full name is a noun
9. Scott Proctor went to Florida State

Well, say, that reminds me of Buster Posey, which reminds me of this:

posey-latos-grand-slam_medium.gif

Suck it, Mat Latos.

latos-heart_medium.gif

10. Proctor has a subsection of his Wikipedia page titled CONTROVERSIES Included:

On June 30, after a poor performance in a loss to the Oakland Athletics (and after taking the loss in each of the Yankees' last two games), Proctor lit fire to his equipment on the field, just feet from the Yankees dugout.

Gonna nickname him "Monterey Scott Festival" and be done with it.

Controversies!

11. This is also part of that Wikipedia page

Proctor's fastball ranges from 94 mph to almost 100, although he was known to throw beyond 100 as the closer for the Columbus Clippers, the Yankees' former Triple-A affiliate.

From Proctor's FanGraphs page:

12. This is what happened the first time Scott Proctor put a ball in play in the major leagues

proctor.jpg

13. lol

Pretty much. Watch out, Santiago Casilla. There's a guy angling for your spot, and I'm certainly not talking about in the bullpen.

There you have it. Scott Proctor: reliever you might never think about again, unless he appears in every other game this April.

RBH

Facing a surplus of outfielders following their deal with Cody Ross, the Diamondbacks are once again “very much open” to talking about trading Justin Upton, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/diamondbacks-open-to-discussing-upton.html

• At least three teams — the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners and Atlanta Braves — have expressed strong interest in Upton, according to major-league sources.
The Mariners, in particular, are eager — some say desperate — to add a hitter. They have checked in on all of the big bats, from the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Andre Ethier to the Miami Marlins’ Giancarlo Stanton, sources say. They also have had dialogue with Scott Boras, the representative for free-agent center fielder Michael Bourn, but seemingly would prefer to add a slugger.

Upton is perhaps the Mariners' most realistic pursuit, according to one source with knowledge of the team’s thinking. The Mariners have had “on-and-off” discussions with the D-Backs the entire offseason, sources said.

Earlier this winter, the Diamondbacks did not consider the Mariners a match — the M’s are deep in young pitching, and that area also is one of the D-Backs’ strengths. But the D-Backs, who since have traded right-hander Trevor Bauer, might be more receptive to a pitching-heavy return now.

The problem: The Mariners are on Upton’s four-team no-trade list — and Upton, who is building a home in Arizona, is not inclined to approve a deal to Seattle, sources say.

Upton, 25, is under contract for $38.5 million over the next three seasons. The Mariners could offer him an extension as an enticement to waive his no-trade rights, if the teams agreed upon a deal.

Then again, Upton simply might prefer to go to Atlanta, where he could join his brother, center fielder B.J. Upton, or Texas, where he would join a club that has made three straight playoff appearances. Other teams, perhaps the New York Yankees, also could be interested.

The Braves “made strong overtures” for Upton earlier in the offseason, one source said, but came away thinking that the Diamondbacks were not motivated to move him.

The Rangers thought they were close to a trade for Upton at the winter meetings, but remain unwilling to meet the Diamondbacks’ price of either shortstop Elvis Andrus or shortstop Jurickson Profar. The team, sources say, would prefer to structure a deal around third baseman Mike Olt.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...of-trade-talks-mariners-rangers-braves-010313

RBH

The Braves’ April 1 regular-season opener against Philadelphia at Turner Field will start at 7 p.m. and be carried by ESPN2 as part of Opening Night prime-time doubleheader.

It will mark just the second time in nine seasons that the Braves have opened at home. They start the season with a pair of three-game series against the Phillies and Chicago Cubs at Turner Field, before hitting the road for a six-game trip to Miami and Washington.

There’s an open date built into the schedule April 2 in case of an opening-game rainout. The Day 2 open date has become standard around baseball, so that teams don’t potentially have to give out a huge number of rainchecks to sellout or near-sellout crowds on opening day.
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves...s-vs-phillies-in-opening-night-game-on-espn2/

eznark

Banned
Anyone else going to Miami for round two of the WBC? I think I am getting a group of buddies to head down. I just miss baseball so much!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Teen pleads guilty in Cardinals laser case:

ST. LOUIS • If Eric Bogard remains on good behavior through mid-June, the public record of his arrest for aiming a laser pointer at a ballplayer during a Cardinals game will be erased. If he gets into trouble during that time, he could face jail and a permanent record, under terms of his probation.

Bogard, then 17, was identified by team manager Mike Matheny as having pointed a green laser from a Busch Stadium suite at a San Francisco Giants pitcher during the seventh inning of a game Aug. 5. His arrest caused a stir that contrasted with the quiet disposition of the case last month.

He pleaded guilty in municipal court Dec. 14 of disturbing the peace at an athletic event and was sentenced to serve six months on probation, complete 20 hours of community service and pay the Cardinals $500 in reimbursement for costs. Under terms of the suspended imposition of sentence, his record would become accessible only to law enforcement.

As part of an agreement with the city counselor’s office, a separate charge under an ordinance regulating use of lasers was dropped. The peace disturbance charge carried a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500.

Bogard’s attorney, Joel Schwartz, said the situation was resolved “extremely fairly.”

“Mr. Bogard regrets his behavior and he wasn’t the one who actually did most of the harassing nor disturbing the peace with the laser,” Schwartz said, without naming names. “It was the young man who brought the laser and disposed of it, which was not Bogard.”

Schwartz said his client did shine the laser onto the field and realized it was “an extreme error in judgment.”

Michael Garvin, of the city counselor’s office, said the baseball organization was pleased with the terms.

“We cleared it with the Cardinals,” he explained. “It was their event that was disrupted.”

Cardinals spokesman Ron Watermon declined comment Thursday.

The night of the incident, Bogard was one of several teens police encountered in a suite owned by Mercy Health. Officers discovered unauthorized containers of alcohol and said the suite’s contact person, Marie Glancy, then an executive for Mercy Health, was “uncooperative.”

Glancy was never criminally charged, but resigned from her post with Mercy five days later. According to Missouri state documents, Glancy formed a health care consulting firm, Glancy Group LLC, on Aug. 29. A Mercy spokeswoman said it was not among her clients.

I think MLBNetwork is gonna start showing baseball movies. First showing is Cobb. I think its awesome they r showing movies. Wished they would show some older game s like they did before.

Doytch

Sanjuro, I'm booking my flight tickets to Boston for the marathon. If I plan on crossing the finish line at 1PM, is a 3:45PM flight insane or can I make it? If I can't, drinkz?

Talon

What'd you think of the movie?

I enjoyed it alot.
I liked it a lot. I know people knocked it for accuracy (Pena was in the minors when he was traded, DePodesta, Howe - Bean, lack of Huddy/Zito/Mulder), but I was just happy to see no frills baseball action done well in a film. Girlfriend really got into it.

Also, so much Joe Morgan. God, I'm glad that asshat is off SNB.

Doytch

Yeah...been away. I sort of got into triathlon this past year...and there's a girl. But I'll most likely be posting a bit more again as beisbol picks up again. So I can spit on the bandwagon Jays fans.
Are you going to race with all your belongings? If so, yes.
Hmm. Couple of hours later and I'm now leaning towards not wanting to rush and just flying out early morning Tuesday. You gonna be in town and want to hang? MLBGAF meetup!

Doytch

Shit, training must be intense for a marathon!
When I was doing marathon-only stuff, I'd peak at something like 8+6+0+10+7+8+16=55 miles/week. It grooved well as a pick-me-up in the morning before work, and then a nice couple of hours on a Sunday morning. I was super focused on qualifying for Boston so it was never really an issue of motivating myself, just kicking my ass a couple of times to get out the door.

These days I only run 3 days/week since I have to make room for the 3 bikes and 2-3 swims.

BUT ANYWAY, how about Ashby leaving the FAN and Jose Canseco wanting to run for mayor of Toronto??!

-- The Dodgers signed J.P. Howell to a 1-year, $2.75 million deal with $1.25 million worth of incentives.

-- Rangers have made an offer to Lance Berkman.

-- Rockies are considering signing Brandon Webb.

jakncoke

Banned
1 positive thing will happen for the Pirates this year despite the fact that this will be our 20th straight season under .500, our good times were good enough that we are a mere 39 wins from being the 7th club with 10k wins and we're still 104 games over .500 as a franchise lol. Its funny that the Steelers went from garbage and joke of the league to one the most wins since the 70's and the Pirates did the polar opposite going from good to terrible.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
48 days until the Braves play their first spring training game. And we still don't have a left fielder. This offseason is so boring.

48 days until the Braves play their first spring training game. And we still don't have a left fielder. This offseason is so boring.

It's pretty obvious they are going with a Prado/Johnson/Francisco rotation for LF & 3B, unless they somehow acquire Justin Upton.

When a righty starts, Prado will play LF and Francisco will play 3B. When a lefty starts, Prado will play 3B and Johnson will play LF.

Top Bottom