• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

So rule out Upton and Kubel for the Mets. I think Adam Rubin reported that the Mets really want to add a known pitcher rather than a known OF. A guy like Marcum, Young or Pavano. Hoping its Marcum.
mlbtraderumors.com said:
The Mets talked to the Diamondbacks about potential trades involving outfielders Justin Upton and Jason Kubel, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). However, Arizona’s asking price is too high on Upton and Kubel isn’t a perfect fit for New York, according to Heyman. This suggests the Diamondbacks won’t be sending one of their surplus outfielders to the Mets, who continue seeking outfield depth.

The Padres, Braves, Mariners and Rangers have expressed some interest in trading for Upton this offseason. The right fielder can block trades to certain teams, including the Blue Jays and Mariners. Meanwhile, Kubel has also drawn trade interest from teams such as the Orioles.

In a recent poll of more than 13,000 MLBTR readers, voters were split on whether Upton or Kubel would be dealt. There’s an expectation that GM Kevin Towers will make a trade since Arizona has numerous internal options including Cody Ross, Gerardo Parra and prospects Adam Eaton and A.J. Pollock.

The Mets have been eyeing outfielders all offseason, but Andrew Brown and Collin Cowgill have been their highest profile additions to date. If the season opened today, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Lucas Duda and Mike Baxter would be among the leading candidates for regular playing time in New York.

Upton, 25, will earn $38.5MM through 2015, including a $9.75MM salary in 2013. Kubel, 30, has one more guaranteed year on his contract, which includes a 2014 team option. He'll earn $7.5MM this coming season.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/...erfeed&utm_medium=twitter#U0KIMSsx2XED5J0h.99

The Kansas City Royals Announce 2013 Slogan

The Kansas City Royals today announced their slogan for the 2013 season: This Year, We're Trying to Win.

"This Year, We're Trying to Win is an appropriate slogan for where we are in The Process," said Royals General Manager Dayton Moore. "The first 6 years are spent building the team with young prospects. Year 7 is all about trying to win, and year 8 is where we anticipate actually winning. So, this year's slogan represents a critically important step for the future of our team."

Royals manager Ned Yost expressed support and excitement for the new slogan. "This new slogan is great. This represents a shift in our philosophy. This also lets the fans know things will be different. I'll never forget sitting next to Dayton Moore in the All-Star game last summer. We were both impressed with the passion shown by the fans. I mean, almost selling out the Futures game? And the emotion shown in the Home Run Derby? It hit both Dayton and me at the same time, that Kansas City really just might be a baseball town after all. I didn't think I would say this, but Kansas City could actually get pumped up for a late summer pennant race. Who would have thought it?"

So far this off season the Royals have taken a different approach than previous years, taking on pitcher Ervin Santana and his hefty contract and acquiring pitcher James Shields for a couple of highly regarded prospects. "You hate to give up young prospects," Moore continued, "but at some point in time you just have to go for it. When I am in the clubhouse looking at the guys, I want to know I did everything for them, and this is the year we decided we were going to try to win. This is a big step, and everybody seems to be very enthusiastic now."

Yost expressed support for the direction the team is going, "I can't wait to manage guys like Santana and Shields. Front line pitchers like that make a manager's job easier. It is great working for a guy like Moore who will give you the tools you need. With the new pitchers, the signing of Chris Getz, the bringing back of Jeff Francoeur, Luke Hochevar putting it all together, the improvement of the other players on the roster, I expect big things."

eznark

Banned
I have no idea. I don't even own a PS3... but I am buying a PS3 in the next month or two so I can play this damn game.

God damn it McNeily now I'm going to have to buy it again. You're a real jerk.

I wish they'd add 9 players on the same team. I wonder if Smokey knows what a foul ball is?

McNei1y

God damn it McNeily now I'm going to have to buy it again. You're a real jerk.

I wish they'd add 9 players on the same team. I wonder if Smokey knows what a foul ball is?

Excellent. The more bros the better.

He'll probably quit in the first inning because he didn't know you swing a bat.

I hope someone gets a legit league running. My vote is that Sanjuro runs one.

I'm not a Royals fan, but between that article and this one about them signing Miguel Tejada, I'm starting to think I should be reading Royals Review.

Yeah, I recommend it. They've always been pretty funny/ridiculous, but since merging with their "rivals" at the former Royals Authority last year, they've just become godly. It's SO sarcastically acidic. Even if you're not specifically a Royals fan, it really is kind of a baseball Onion:

Police Raid Home of Local "Crazy Utility Player" Guy

The Kansas City police department, acting on a tip from concerned neighbors, raided a local home today and found countless numbers of utility baseball players. The home belongs to a Dayton Moore, age 45, who is employed in the front office of the Kansas City Royals. Officials describe a very chaotic scene.

Detective John Aikens was the first to go into the house, "I came in the front door and it was a mess. Right in the entryway were 10 - 15 utility players just milling around. When we went into the kitchen we found some in the cupboards, some more under the kitchen table, and even one just sitting on the table. Each time we entered a room another 15 would come scampering out. We found others under beds, in closets, and behind the couches. They were everywhere."

Neighbors were not surprised by what was found. "Dayton has always been a little odd," said next door neighbor Cindy Wilson. "Some neighborhoods have the crazy cat lady, but I guess we have the crazy utility player guy. We knew he liked to collect utility players. We didn't know he had quite so many, but I'm not surprised by this."

Kansas City psychologist Dave Leonard describes Moore's behavior as showing the classic symptoms of Low Value Hoarding Syndrome, or LVHS. "Some people would look at Moore's behavior and be puzzled by it. After all, why hoard something of so little value when you can easily get another one? But, LVHS sufferers don't see it that way. People like Dayton believe that this utility player might someday turn into something of value, kind of like that old painting in the grandma's attic that is actually an original Rembrandt. He also sees himself as a utility whisperer; that he is the one that can give meaning and dignity back to the lives of these utility players."

Moore appears to not have cared if the player was a utility infielder or a utility outfielder, just as long as they didn't hit for much power and didn't have an easily definable position. "That fits the mold," explains Leonard. "Typical LVHS people don't specialize. They are seeking for anything with that low value that they can reclaim. So it would make no difference to Dayton if the player was a utility infielder or outfielder. If it is somebody that is perceived to have a low value, he wants to be the one to step in and help."

They did but no one has come out and said they're creating a game. My guess is that we'll see one on the next gen.

Yeah, no one's going to make a new game now with new consoles coming out this year. I expect EA or somebody to have a new MLB franchise in 2014.

McNei1y

Na man, Xbox owners are screwed. No baseball gm.

It really is a shame that 2k had to purchase the rights to baseball for seven years. MVP was a pretty damn good game. I hope someone jumps on it next year. I feel like they'd make at least a small profit.

Anyway, I am hyped for The Show. Someone make a league that lasts!

Blearth

Banned
miguel-cabrera-mug-shot.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I did my part to help increase the cost to extend harper. Maybe we can get a new Video Game Sports Cover curse too.

Top Bottom