• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

I expect that pic to gain a lot of traction as the Doyers strive to attain that elusive .530 winning percentage.

So that's what it's like to be banned. Probably for the best since finals were happening, but I still felt out of place lurking.

RBH

Honestly wouldn't mind throwing out a ST invite to Grady Sizemore at this point. Better than wasting money on some of the OF options out there.

rando14

Honestly wouldn't mind throwing out a ST invite to Grady Sizemore at this point. Better than wasting money on some of the OF options out there.

seriously? dude hasn't played a full season since 2008. Though he did make $5 million this year while playing exactly 0 games lol

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Personally, I'm starting to come around to the Francisco/Johnson platoon option.

RBH

seriously? dude hasn't played a full season since 2008. Though he did make $5 million this year while playing exactly 0 games lol

Uh, it's a spring training invite, not a guaranteed contract. I don't see the harm. If he comes back to 80% of what he used to be, great. If not, you can just cut him and be done with it.

I just don't have much interest in a platoon featuring fatty Francisco.

He's not even supposed to be able to play until July.
Ah, well forget that then.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Uh, it's a spring training invite, not a guaranteed contract. I don't see the harm. If he comes back to 80% of what he used to be, great. If not, you can just cut him and be done with it.

I just don't have much interest in a platoon featuring fatty Francisco.
He's not even supposed to be able to play until July.

I guess the Nats don't think they need a LOOGY or even left handed relievers. Gorzelanny, Burnett, Gonzalez and Lannan all gone and unreplaced.

JP Howell is an intriguing guy out there. I would like the Mets to give him a chance. always liked him when he pitched for Rays.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Personally, I'm starting to come around to the Francisco/Johnson platoon option.
I wouldn't mind that as long as they use the money to upgrade the roster elsewhere. Wouldn't mind adding another good bullpen arm, can never have too much of those.

Uh-oh, Dodgers:

17757_4181208328841_1329639658_n.jpg

This guy is going to need a Josh Hamilton style babysitter
I guess nobody told him to get it protein style.

RBH

It is a good time to own a big-league ball club. Just ask Paul Dolan of the Cleveland Indians and Nick Swisher.

Dolan, whose family owns the Indians, sold SportsTime Ohio to Fox Sports on Friday for an estimated $230 million. The deal gives Fox the rights to broadcast Indians games for at least the next 10 years. In that time frame, the Indians will receive at least $400 million in rights fees, beginning with $40 million in 2013.

STO paid the Indians about $33 million in rights fees last season.

"We look forward to a long-term partnership with Fox that will continue to bring state-of-the-art broadcasts of Indians games to the fans while strengthening the franchise and enhancing our ability to build competitive teams," said Indians CEO Dolan.

Last week Swisher agreed to terms on the largest free-agent contract in Indians' history. He'll make $56 million over the next four years. If he vests his 2017 option, the deal will be worth $70 million.

There are two reasons why the Indians were able to get Swisher. Ownership received a boatload of cash from the sale of STO and another boatload of cash is sailing their way from MLB's network cable contracts. From 2014 through 2021, each of MLB's 30 teams will receive between $24 million and $25 million annually.

Before reaching an agreement with Swisher, they offered Shane Victorino, another free-agent outfielder, a four-year, $44 million deal. They have also signed first baseman Mark Reynolds to a one-year, $6 million deal.

The question is how much more is available for GM Chris Antonetti to spend to improve a team that lost 94 games last season?

The increase in rights fees isn't going to be a game-changer for the Indians, but it will help, along with next year's cable TV money, revenue sharing and ownership's apparent willingness to put more money into the payroll. It will be interesting to see how the 2013 payroll compares with last season's $65 million.
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2012/12/fox_sports_purchases_sto_for_a.html

CygnusXS

I wouldn't mind that as long as they use the money to upgrade the roster elsewhere. Wouldn't mind adding another good bullpen arm, can never have too much of those.
I just want to see them give extensions to Prado and Heyward.

PNC is a nice park, very homely. Went to Pittsburgh in August and the thing that struck me is the park kinda feels underground... like you can take the highway complex and ride higher than the park.

Sharp

I guess the Nats don't think they need a LOOGY or even left handed relievers. Gorzelanny, Burnett, Gonzalez and Lannan all gone and unreplaced.
Meh... if I were Rizzo I wouldn't have resigned any of them either. Well, maybe Burnett, but not at the salary he was looking for. I'm sure the Nats can just convert some more garbage former starters in the minors. We still have a couple left, right? It's not like anyone else wanted them, even though certain Nats fans (not on GAF) kept trying to put together packages involving like, Martis, Olsen, and Mock in exchange for a player who wasn't totally useless. Then again, I did look up those three names and apparently none of them are with the organization anymore, so maybe not.

Wonderbif a team is willing to give Manny a shot to come back. He's killing it in DR and he's actually in shape. Also, Valdespin is hitting and isnt looking bad in the OF.

Wonderbif a team is willing to give Manny a shot to come back. He's killing it in DR and he's actually in shape. Also, Valdespin is hitting and isnt looking bad in the OF.

He's also one suspension away from a lifetime MLB ban. I don't think any team wants that potential PR nightmare.

CygnusXS

I wonder if the Rangers would be interested in an Olt-Delgado swap. Braves would probably have to throw in a B-/C+ prospect too.

I'd also be interested in Leonys Martin.

Alright. I can't believe I wasted the last 17 weeks watching our stupid football team.

Royals season begins today. Never though I'd see the day that they looked more promising out of the two. They have a shot at the AL Central. Go Royals.

Sigh. :(

WEEK IN REVIEW

Retirements
  • Hideki Matsui decided this week to call it a career after 20 professional seasons; 10 in Japan's Pacific League and 10 in Major League Baseball with the Yankees (2003-2009), Angels (2010), Athletics (2011), and Rays (2012). The two-time All-Star and 2009 World Series MVP finished with a combined 507 career home runs (332 in Japan and 175 in MLB).
Trades
  • The Pirates and Red Sox completed a six-player trade. The Pirates acquired Ivan De Jesus, Mark Melancon, Stolmy Pimentel, and Jerry Sands. The Red Sox acquired Brock Holt and Joel Hanrahan.
Free Agent Signings
  • The Indians agreed with Nick Swisher on a 4-year, $56 million contract. The deal contains a 2017 vesting option worth $14 million if Swisher has 550 plate appearances in 2016 and passes a physical at the end of the season.
  • The Mariners officially signed Raul Ibanez to a 1-year, $2.75 million contract. The deal contains $1.25 million worth of incentives.
  • The Brewers agreed with Mike Gonzalez on a 1-year, $2.25 million contract. The deal contains incentives worth a currently-unknown amount.
  • After a seven-season career in Major League Baseball with the Dodgers (2006-2008), Red Sox (2009), Braves (2010), Brewers (2011), and Diamondbacks (2012), Takashi Saito is returning to Japan's Pacific League, signing a 1-year, $0.35 million contract with the Rakuten Golden Eagles.
Minor League Deals/Spring Training Invites
  • The Yankees signed Matt Diaz. Diaz will make a $1.2 million bonus if he makes the 25-man roster.
  • The Marlins signed John Maine.
  • The Mets signed Aaron Laffey.

Jon

Halladay + Lee + Hamels + Domonic Brown + Tommy Joseph + Kyle Kendrick + 85% salaries of all the players for Giancarlo Stanton. Believe!

(Seriously though, I can't imagine the package it would take to get him.)

Halladay + Lee + Hamels + Domonic Brown + Tommy Joseph + Kyle Kendrick + 85% salaries of all the players for Giancarlo Stanton. Believe!

I would trade the entire minor league system but I doubt it would be enough.

Link

The Autumn Wind

85% of those salaries wouldn't be enough for the Marlins.

I'm not even kidding.

The way this is going to work is the Marlins are going to wait until Stanton is eligible for arbitration, then trade him for a boatload of top-level prospects. They aren't going to accept any players that need to be paid. That's not how they operate.

carlos

It seems Javier Vazquez is interested in coming back. Third time's the charm, Yankees!

He's looked pretty well here in PR winter ball in preparation for the WBC, I don't know how accurate the radar gun here is but he seems to be topping out around 92 mph

Torii Hunter already backpedaling on the anti-gay stuff, claims he was misquoted.

Torii Hunter said:
I'm very disappointed in Kevin Baxter's article in which my quotes and feelings have been misrepresented. He took two completely separate quotes and made them into one quote that does not express how I feel as a Christian or a human being . I have love and respect for all human beings regardless of race, color or sexual orientation. I am not perfect and try hard to live the best life I can and treat all people with respect. If you know me you know that I am not anti anything and to be portrayed as anti-gay in this article is hurtful and just not true.

jakncoke

Banned
PNC is a nice park, very homely. Went to Pittsburgh in August and the thing that struck me is the park kinda feels underground... like you can take the highway complex and ride higher than the park.

I really should visit there this year. Seeing im 1 of like 3 Pirates fans on the forums. 1 of 3 lives in cali

Top Bottom