• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

jakncoke

Banned
WEEK IN REVIEW

Retirements
  • Hideki Matsui decided this week to call it a career after 20 professional seasons; 10 in Japan's Pacific League and 10 in Major League Baseball with the Yankees (2003-2009), Angels (2010), Athletics (2011), and Rays (2012). The two-time All-Star and 2009 World Series MVP finished with a combined 507 career home runs (332 in Japan and 175 in MLB).
Trades
  • The Pirates and Red Sox completed a six-player trade. The Pirates acquired Ivan De Jesus, Mark Melancon, Stolmy Pimentel, and Jerry Sands. The Red Sox acquired Brock Holt and Joel Hanrahan.
Free Agent Signings
  • The Indians agreed with Nick Swisher on a 4-year, $56 million contract. The deal contains a 2017 vesting option worth $14 million if Swisher has 550 plate appearances in 2016 and passes a physical at the end of the season.
  • The Mariners officially signed Raul Ibanez to a 1-year, $2.75 million contract. The deal contains $1.25 million worth of incentives.
  • The Brewers agreed with Mike Gonzalez on a 1-year, $2.25 million contract. The deal contains incentives worth a currently-unknown amount.
  • After a seven-season career in Major League Baseball with the Dodgers (2006-2008), Red Sox (2009), Braves (2010), Brewers (2011), and Diamondbacks (2012), Takashi Saito is returning to Japan's Pacific League, signing a 1-year, $0.35 million contract with the Rakuten Golden Eagles.
Minor League Deals/Spring Training Invites
  • The Yankees signed Matt Diaz. Diaz will make a $1.2 million bonus if he makes the 25-man roster.
  • The Marlins signed John Maine.
  • The Mets signed Aaron Laffey.

fucking hell we gave up brock holt as well

harSon

Banned
I really should visit there this year. Seeing im 1 of like 3 Pirates fans on the forums. 1 of 3 lives in cali

I went to PNC Park in the 2010 season when I went to Pittsburgh to visit family! You've never been there? I've been to 4 Pirates home games since PNC park opened, and I live on the opposite side of the country! Get it together, fool!

Blearth

Banned
The Dodgers at the minimum better be Nationals good and at best 98' Yankees great.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

88 wins for LA. Book it!

RBH

Tampa Bay's current TV deal is set to expire in 2016 (just prior to when Longoria's new deal kicks in), and with their local TV ratings actually being pretty good, they should get a boost in revenue even if their attendance remains flat.

Meanwhile, Atlanta has 25 years to go with their current shitty TV deal!

Madtown_

How much does a full regular season MLB.TV subscription usually go for? Currently can only get the 2012 season for $25, but nothing about 2013.

I'll be out of market next season so I may as well go for it!

Link

The Autumn Wind
How much does a full regular season MLB.TV subscription usually go for? Currently can only get the 2012 season for $25, but nothing about 2013.

I'll be out of market next season so I may as well go for it!
$100 for standard, $120 for premium. Sometimes deals pop up.

RBH

I had MLB.TV for a few months this past season and loved it.

Worth the money just to follow Oakland's awesome run in the second half of the season.

Madtown_

I had MLB.TV for a few months this past season and loved it.

Worth the money just to follow Oakland's awesome run in the second half of the season.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to being able to follow out of market teams as well as (I think a feature) being able to re-watch all games for the entire season. Should be pretty good.

Hopefully Mike Gonzalez is the icing on top for the Brewers so it can be during a playoff season as well.

Sanjuro

My buddy ended up sending me more unseen footage of my Champion Dog digestion. The expressions of people watching are priceless.

yhFKu.jpg

I couldn't imagine comfortably trying to consume that while sitting in a cramped seat. Also, no ketchup.

Roger's Centre does have something similar.

Askani

Royals Review is usually good for a laugh. The "Happy 2007!" article is great as well. More at the link: http://www.royalsreview.com/2013/1/2/3823398/police-raid-home-of-local-crazy-utility-player-guy

The Kansas City police department, acting on a tip from concerned neighbors, raided a local home today and found countless numbers of utility baseball players. The home belongs to a Dayton Moore, age 45, who is employed in the front office of the Kansas City Royals. Officials describe a very chaotic scene.

Detective John Aikens was the first to go into the house, "I came in the front door and it was a mess. Right in the entryway were 10 - 15 utility players just milling around. When we went into the kitchen we found some in the cupboards, some more under the kitchen table, and even one just sitting on the table. Each time we entered a room another 15 would come scampering out. We found others under beds, in closets, and behind the couches. They were everywhere."

Neighbors were not surprised by what was found. "Dayton has always been a little odd," said next door neighbor Cindy Wilson. "Some neighborhoods have the crazy cat lady, but I guess we have the crazy utility player guy. We knew he liked to collect utility players. We didn't know he had quite so many, but I'm not surprised by this."

So I'm trying to find out why jman got banned, thinking it was a Gaming thread thing. His last posts lead to the anime thread, so I go take a look.

and now I remember why I stopped going there years ago to troll.

Still can't believe that the Cards have one of the best (if not the best) minor league systems right now. Luhnow really turned things around during his tenure. Even more surprising is that of the 15 first round/supplemental picks in the Luhnow era, we only got one major league regular, one major league reliever, and two potential major league starting pitchers. Though maybe that's par for the course since even first rounders are far from sure bets?

Perhaps even more impressive is that we didn't sacrifice much major league success while Luhnow rebuilt the farm.

Still can't believe that the Cards have one of the best (if not the best) minor league systems right now. Luhnow really turned things around during his tenure. Even more surprising is that of the 15 first round/supplemental picks in the Luhnow era, we only got one major league regular, one major league reliever, and two potential major league starting pitchers. Though maybe that's par for the course since even first rounders are far from sure bets?

Perhaps even more impressive is that we didn't sacrifice much major league success while Luhnow rebuilt the farm.

Oscar Taveras is a total stud. He's killing it in DR right now. Won ROY and everything. Kid looks ready to contribute in majors today.

BFIB

Oscar Taveras is a total stud. He's killing it in DR right now. Won ROY and everything. Kid looks ready to contribute in majors today.

I was thinking the Cards would maybe package Jay/Lynn in a deal to get a solid SS prospect. I think Tavaras is going to make a strong enough case to make the majors this year.

Enron

Banned
So I'm trying to find out why jman got banned, thinking it was a Gaming thread thing. His last posts lead to the anime thread, so I go take a look.

and now I remember why I stopped going there years ago to troll.

It was on gaming side. A comment he made about indie games....several days ago. Someone snitched!

Great deal for Texas. Jason Frasor for 1.5 million.

Frasor is a quality guy. I'll miss him in that Toronto bullpen. Don't think he was as solid in 2012 but I always felt comfortable seeing him come out over most of our pen.

Edit: Just noticed Villenueva is still on the market.

Syrinx

I see the Mets signed Aaron Laffey. Is there a reason for this other than to get even more mediocre relievers on the team? The dude gave up 17 homers in 100 innings last year and had a whip over 1.30.

Top Bottom