• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's pretty obvious they are going with a Prado/Johnson/Francisco rotation for LF & 3B, unless they somehow acquire Justin Upton.

When a righty starts, Prado will play LF and Francisco will play 3B. When a lefty starts, Prado will play 3B and Johnson will play LF.
Well aware of that. I'm also aware of the Gattis factor. Upton would be great, but obviously expensive. They could go after Domonic Brown, or Mike Olt. Fowler wouldn't be awful. There's a lot of options left. A platoon is just the saddest one.

Berkman's deal with the Rangers is 1-year, $11 million. Damn.

He also got a 2014 vesting option worth $10 million if he has 550 plate appearances in 2013.

$10 million salary in 2013 and a $1 million option buyout.

RBH

The Padres and Diamondbacks have had on-and-off discussions about a deal involving Justin Upton and Chase Headley since July, according to major league sources. However, those talks have yet to result in a deal.

Even though that deal hasn't worked out, the Diamondbacks continue to discuss Upton with other clubs, including the Rangers and Mariners while also considering offers for Jason Kubel. The Rangers want to build a package around third baseman Mike Olt rather than shortstop Elvis Andrus or infielder Jurickson Profar and they're willing to add a top pitching prospect and a third quality piece to the package, sources say.

However, sources tell Rosenthal that the D'Backs believe they could make an even better deal for Upton with another club like the Mariners, who are aggressively trying to add a power hitter. However, as we've heard before, Seattle is on Upton's four-team no-trade list and he's not inclined to approve a deal to the M's. The Mariners might be able to change Upton's mind with a lucrative contract extension.

Earlier this week we learned that the Braves have also inquired on Upton.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/padres-dbacks-discussed-deal-with-upton-and-headley.html

Malo

Banned
Berkman's deal with the Rangers is 1-year, $11 million. Damn.

He also got a 2014 vesting option worth $10 million if he has 550 plate appearances in 2013.

$10 million salary in 2013 and a $1 million option buyout.
That's a lot more than I expected he was going to get.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
if anyone is using windows 8, it looks like the ESPN application has free access to insider for a limited time.
2f6eV.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So, Jason Heyward's younger brother is draft eligible this year. He's a right handed hitter with some pop, apparently. Jacob Heyward seems to be considered among the top 50-100 draft prospects, so not exactly top of the class, but still a good one. Assuming he's still available, the odds have to be pretty good that the Braves draft him with their first pick.

Windu

So, Jason Heyward's younger brother is draft eligible this year. He's a right handed hitter with some pop, apparently. Jacob Heyward seems to be considered among the top 50-100 draft prospects, so not exactly top of the class, but still a good one. Assuming he's still available, the odds have to be pretty good that the Braves draft him with their first pick.
What position is he projected to play?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I used to think I cared about the "charm" of differently sized MLB ball parks, but I decided I don't really care at all and have never actually derived any comfort and/or enjoyment out of other ballparks being different than mine. Is there a minimum size allowed for ballparks these days and/or a maximum?

Apparently they passed a rule in 1958 saying that the LF and RF fences had to be at least 325 feet, and CF had to be at least 400 feet. However (as that Wikipedia article notes), starting with Camden Yards, teams have generally ignored that rule, which means maybe we'll get to see someone try and imitate the Polo Grounds -- 250 feet to left and right, 500 feet to centre.

RBH

NEW YORK (AP) -The 2013 salaries for the 21 players on the Los Angeles Dodgers with agreements. Figures were obtained by The Associated Press from management and player sources and include salaries and pro-rated shares of signing bonuses and other guaranteed income. For some players, parts of deferred signing bonuses and salaries are discounted to reflect present-day values. Does not include unsigned players on 40-man roster who are not eligible for salary arbitration:

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Adrian Gonzalez $21,857,143

Zack Greinke 21,000,000

Carl Crawford 20,857,143

Matt Kemp 20,250,000

Josh Beckett 17,000,000

Hanley Ramirez 15,500,000

Andre Ethier 13,500,000

Ted Lilly 13,166,667

Clayton Kershaw 11,750,000

Chad Billingsley 11,000,000

Juan Uribe 7,295,910

Chris Capuano 6,375,000

Aaron Harang 6,000,000

Brandon League 5,500,000

Mark Ellis 5,250,000

Matt Guerrier 4,711,499

Jerry Hairston Jr. 3,750,000

Yasiel Puig 3,714,286

Hyun-Jin Ryu 3,333,333

Nick Punto 1,500,000

Skip Schumaker 1,500,000

Ronald Belisario arbitration

A.J. Ellis arbitration

Total 214,810,981

Adjustment for Boston trade 6,864,286

Adjusted total 207,946,695

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/21380836/dodgers-projected-2013-payroll

RBH

Braves GM Frank Wren told us that they've never closed the door on Michael Bourn
https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/287953625932767232

Frank Wren told us that if they were to sign Bourn they would consider it a "toss up" on who would play CF and who would play LF
https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/287954191723417601

Frank Wren told us that he wished Kevin Towers a very Merry Christmas in December and hasn't spoken to him since (the Justin Upton question)
https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/287954876430966784

Windu

"toss up". As in heads upton plays LF, tails upton plays LF. would be awesome to bring back bourn though, still a perfect fit.

sangreal

I used to think I cared about the "charm" of differently sized MLB ball parks, but I decided I don't really care at all and have never actually derived any comfort and/or enjoyment out of other ballparks being different than mine. Is there a minimum size allowed for ballparks these days and/or a maximum?

not sure about maximum but there is a minimum. everyone just ignores it by saying the park is "retro" style or something

Link

The Autumn Wind
The black tarp wall is just for construction purposes. The new wall is the concrete one behind it. Not too big a change.

ecnal

Wow that's a lot more than I expected. Looks like I'll be drafting Headley in every fantasy league I'm in this year.

the black fence is not the new OF wall ;)

When renovations are complete, the deepest part of the park in the right-field power alley will be reduced from 402 feet to 390, which is the most significant distance change. If you can believe it, that spot was actually 411 feet when the ballpark opened in 2004. Also, the out-of-town scoreboard which was featured prominently on the right-field wall will be relocated as a part of the project. It's unknown where exactly that will fit in when the dust settles

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...ook-petco-park-dimensions-012749592--mlb.html

Apparently they passed a rule in 1958 saying that the LF and RF fences had to be at least 325 feet, and CF had to be at least 400 feet. However (as that Wikipedia article notes), starting with Camden Yards, teams have generally ignored that rule, which means maybe we'll get to see someone try and imitate the Polo Grounds -- 250 feet to left and right, 500 feet to centre.
The rule doesn't apply to what is deemed "retro-classic" parks. So all a park has to do is use that designation and they skirt it. BTW PETCO is a retro-modern park, so it skirts the rule.

NEW YORK (AP) -The 2013 salaries for the 21 players on the Los Angeles Dodgers with agreements. Figures were obtained by The Associated Press from management and player sources and include salaries and pro-rated shares of signing bonuses and other guaranteed income. For some players, parts of deferred signing bonuses and salaries are discounted to reflect present-day values. Does not include unsigned players on 40-man roster who are not eligible for salary arbitration:

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Adrian Gonzalez $21,857,143

Zack Greinke 21,000,000

Carl Crawford 20,857,143

Matt Kemp 20,250,000

Josh Beckett 17,000,000

Hanley Ramirez 15,500,000

Andre Ethier 13,500,000

Ted Lilly 13,166,667

Clayton Kershaw 11,750,000

Chad Billingsley 11,000,000

Juan Uribe 7,295,910

Chris Capuano 6,375,000

Aaron Harang 6,000,000

Brandon League 5,500,000

Mark Ellis 5,250,000

Matt Guerrier 4,711,499

Jerry Hairston Jr. 3,750,000

Yasiel Puig 3,714,286

Hyun-Jin Ryu 3,333,333

Nick Punto 1,500,000

Skip Schumaker 1,500,000

Ronald Belisario arbitration

A.J. Ellis arbitration

Total 214,810,981

Adjustment for Boston trade 6,864,286

Adjusted total 207,946,695

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/21380836/dodgers-projected-2013-payroll

yawn......

Big Money, Big Prizes.. I love it!!!

The Braves talks with Bourn have advanced to the point where Bourn has agreed to move to LF if they bring him back.
Do free agents get nervous around this period when they haven't signed? I mean who is going to throw years and money at Soriano and Lohse? And Dallas Braden hasn't signed yet....

Do free agents get nervous around this period when they haven't signed? I mean who is going to throw years and money at Soriano and Lohse? And Dallas Braden hasn't signed yet....

Fielder almost fell into February without signing and still got $214 million. I think the ones who don't have Boras as an agent are worried around now, though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Someone like Soriano will get a decent deal, it's just how it shakes out...

Top Bottom