• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Angels OF Mike Trout has unanimously won the AL Rookie of the Year Award. He joins Albert Pujols (2001) and Craig Kimbrel (2011) as just the third unanimous winner in the last 15 seasons.

Trout is the first unanimous AL winner since Nomar Garciaparra in 1997.

zpyas.png

UWD6f.png

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Astros need a DH, Hamilton baby!

Too much money and they aren't going to be competitive for years to come.

It'd be nice, but highly unlikely. They'll probably bring in Napoli as a DH, there were talks of them looking at Hideki Matsui as well, because he'll be cheap.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giants have re-signed Jeremy Affeldt to a 3-year, $18 million deal.

He needs to have another kid within those 3 years.

Officially, the Giants clinched their World Series berth Monday evening when they defeated the Cardinals to win the National League pennant.

Unofficially, the Giants’ trip to the World Series was assured Aug. 28, when relief pitcher Jeremy Affeldt’s wife Larisa gave birth to the couple’s third son, Colt.

Every time the Affeldts have a son, Jeremy’s team goes to the World Series. Twice might be a coincidence but three times? Come on.

First came Walker, Aug. 28 of 2007, and Jeremy’s Colorado Rockies made the World Series. Then Logan, Sept. 13 of 2010, and you remember that World Series, don’t you?

“When Larisa was pregnant with Colt, we were kind of in the playoff hunt,” Affeldt said Wednesday. “When she gave birth to him she said, ‘If we go to the World Series, it will be awesome.’ When we got there I said, ‘Honey, we gotta put you on the payroll.’ I’m actually starting to believe this baby thing is key” to a World Series trip.

JABEE

IT'S LIKE MAGIC/BIRD, BUT FOR MLB!

/playersneverfaceeachotherintheworldseries

Also, who is Bryce Harper supposed to be in this rivalry? Trout had an MVP like year with historical numbers that matched some baseball legends best seasons in the majors. What did Bryce Harper do to put him in the same level as Magic Johnson and Larry Bird?

newjeruse

Also, who is Bryce Harper supposed to be in this rivalry? Trout had an MVP like year with historical numbers that matched some baseball legends best seasons in the majors. What did Bryce Harper do to put him in the same level as Magic Johnson and Larry Bird?
Well, he had the best teenage season in the history of the sport. That's pretty good.

Opiate

He needs to have another kid within those 3 years.

I love the logic.

A coincidence happened three times in a row? Surely this must be magic! Normally I'd attribute this to good natured jest, but the extent to which baseball players attribute a normal, random statistical distribution to behaviors which clearly have no causal connection seems to know no bounds.

JABEE

Well, he had the best teenage season in the history of the sport. That's pretty good.
Pretty good doesn't describe Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. He had a really good season though, and will probably continue to get better. I just don't see the comparison.

Hey JABEE Anthoy Gargano said yesterday that it is a 100% lock the Phils sign Tori Hunter. I was hoping for them to add some power to the outfield but hopefully this will work out if it happens.

newjeruse

Pretty good doesn't describe Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. He had a really good season though, and will probably continue to get better. I just don't see the comparison.
Don't be obtuse. "Pretty good" was just a modest description of what I prefaced it with: Harper had the best teenage season of all-time. That doesn't need superlatives, it speaks for itself.

Don't be obtuse. "Pretty good" was just a modest description of what I prefaced it with: Harper had the best teenage season of all-time. That doesn't need superlatives, it speaks for itself.

How many teenagers have there been? It is impressive, dont get me wrong, but I cant imagine there was a huge field to compete against for that title.

McNei1y

And how many Major League players hit .270/.340/.477 with 22 homers, 59 rbis, and 98 runs in a season? And how many have done that in their rookie year, let alone being a teenager?

And how many Major League players hit .270/.340/.477 with 22 homers, 59 rbis, and 98 runs in a season? And how many have done that in their rookie year, let alone being a teenager?

In a season I would think tons. Those are slightly better then average numbers, but for a rookie they are impressive. I definitely think Harper is going to improve and become a great player, I am not trying to downplay that at all.

McNei1y

In a season I would think tons. Those are slightly better then average numbers, but for a rookie they are impressive. I definitely think Harper is going to improve and become a great player, I am not trying to downplay that at all.

The fact that he's a rookie is why he's being put into such conversations of Bird and Magic. You can't raise the bar of that comparison because Trout had a freak season. I doubt anyone will have such a season like Trout's as a rookie anytime soon. It was incredible.

I wouldn't consider those numbers 'slightly better than average', though, because of how many players there are per team to compare him to. It may seem like familiar numbers, but that's only because we're used to hearing about the guys putting up these numbers, and not the other guys who don't.

Sanjuro

...and he did it with HIV. Magic! - tweeted by Buster Olney.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Scott Baker signed with the Cubs for one year, $5.5 million with $1.5 million in potential incentives. What the fuck, Terry Ryan?

JABEE

The fact that he's a rookie is why he's being put into such conversations of Bird and Magic. You can't raise the bar of that comparison because Trout had a freak season. I doubt anyone will have such a season like Trout's as a rookie anytime soon. It was incredible.

I wouldn't consider those numbers 'slightly better than average', though, because of how many players there are per team to compare him to. It may seem like familiar numbers, but that's only because we're used to hearing about the guys putting up these numbers, and not the other guys who don't.
Trout I could see being brought up, because he is probably the AL MVP as a rookie. Harper had a good rookie season. It is even more impressive that he did it at 19. I'm not ready to compare him to Hall of Fame players in their sport. I think Buster Olney likes to toss a lot of crap out, because he gets caught up in the moment and works for ESPN.

newjeruse

How many teenagers have there been? It is impressive, dont get me wrong, but I cant imagine there was a huge field to compete against for that title.

Not a lot, and that's for a reason. It's extremely difficult to ascend that quickly. Harper getting to the big leagues in time to have a full season as a teenager is a testament in itself to his prodigious talent.

Reports coming out that the Rangers offered Mike Olt to the Braves in the proposed three-team trade that would have sent Andrelton Simmons to the Diamondbacks and Justin Upton to the Rangers. The Braves declined Olt and demanded either Elvis Andrus or Jurickson Profar in return. The Rangers declined and it ended there.

jman2050

I wouldn't use Trout as a benchmark for Harper because Trout very likely just had the best season of his career already, which is atypical and not to be expected from anybody.

I still think Harper will end up having the better career, but that's probably splitting hairs in this particular comparison.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Olt could have been the next chipper.

Your loss bravos!

So we get a third baseman, but then we lose a short stop. It's a lot easier for us to fill 3B (or LF alternatively) than SS, so it makes no sense.

Enigma said:
They don't have anyone ready for SS if they traded Simmons. Edward Salcedo is still a ways away. They already have Prado ready for 3B (although they REALLY need to get that extension done soon...)

Salcedo has been permanently moved to 3B.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Braves really need SS over 3B?
Yes. Especially one like simmons who can be an average hitter at the minimum and the best in the league defensively (or best in the majors). That is extremely valuable to any team. (in a vacuum i would still choose simmons over olt. Simmons is going to be very good.) And the Braves have players to play 3rd. There is no depth in the system at SS.

Yes. Especially one like simmons who can be an average hitter at the minimum and the best in the league defensively (or best in the majors). That is extremely valuable to any team. (in a vacuum i would still choose simmons over olt. Simmons is going to be very good.) And the Braves have players to play 3rd. There is no depth in the system at SS.

Salcedo seems like nice prospect for you guys at third.

Top Bottom