• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

eznark

Banned
So it looks like Amazon has The Show 13 PSN+Vita for $80. Not crossbuy, but the same $20 off as last year if you buy both. I can't decide whether to get the Vita version, though. Last year was fun, but it really needs a serious graphics upgrade this year.

Vita is definitely wait and see at this point.

Todd Helton (aka Mr. I Love Jesus) was arrested for DUI in a Denver suburb earlier this morning.

d7xvkrd.jpg

Helton's statement:

Last evening I exercised poor judgment and was charged with drinking and driving after driving to a gas station near my house. I am very sorry and embarrassed by my actions. I hold myself to a high standard and take my responsibility as a public figure very seriously.

My entire career I have worked to set a positive example for my family and in our community and I fell far short of this standard.

I sincerely ask my family, the Colorado Rockies Organization, Major League Baseball and the community to accept my apology. I make no excuses and accept full responsibility for my actions. I humbly ask your forgiveness.

Blearth

Banned
Helton's pre-humidor numbers were fucking redonkulous.

I wonder how many dingers Bonds would have hit if he played for Colorado in 2001.

I wonder how many dingers Bonds would have hit if he played for Colorado in 2001.

Actually, if you go to Baseball Reference and click on More Stats, they give you the option of converting a player's stats to either 1968 Dodgers or 2000 Rockies (it's under Neutralized Stats, near the bottom). They have Bonds in Colorado in 2001 (playing under 2000's conditions), hitting 93 homers. Bonds playing his whole career in those conditions just misses 1,000 homers.

Friggz

93 homers
197 rbi
184 runs
227 walks
576 obp
1.015 slg

if he played his entire career in colorado he would have hit 989 homers with 3304 walks.

opps: looks like matthew sits on b-ref as much as i do ^^

rando14

93 homers
197 rbi
184 runs
227 walks
576 obp
1.015 slg

if he played his entire career in colorado he would have hit 989 homers with 3304 walks.

opps: looks like matthew sits on b-ref as much as i do ^^

in 2002 he would have had a .437 BA anda .650 obp :O

The Giants have avoided arbitration with Sergio Romo, signing him to a 2-year contract that buys out his final arbitration year in 2014. No word on the money terms yet.

In the shocker of the century, something came up in Jair Jurrjens' physical which is causing a delay in the competion of his Orioles deal.

Fenix

This has once again popped up on my Twitter feed and I want to share. I give you, a Tweet from Jul 21, 2010:

@JonHeymanCBS said:
#sfgiants interested in jose bautista. toronto could look at middle infielders, including emmanuel burress or ehire adrianza

Seemed just dumb then, absolutely hilarious now.

Whats special about the 1968 DOdgers?

1968 in general was probably the worst year ever for offense in baseball -- Bob Gibson had his 1.12 ERA, Denny McClain won 30 games (first time that had happened in over 30 years), Carl Yastrzemski led the AL in batting with an .301 average (the AL as a whole batted .231 -- that's what led them to eventually institute the DH). The league-wide era in the NL was under 3 -- the only time that's happened since the deadball era. I can't seem to find what specifically was so special about the Dodgers, since they actually ranked 4th in the MLB in ERA. I know that after the season, the MLB required all teams to lower their pitching mounds 5 inches, from 15 inches to 10; if I had to guess, I'd say that Dodger Stadium probably had an even higher pitching mound than most teams (but that's totally a guess on my part).

EDIT: This Neutralized tool on B-Ref is so much fun. Ty Cobb playing his career in Denver in 2000 hits .429 for his career, and gets over 5,700 hits. Hank Aaron hits 1,003 homers. Nolan Ryan loses about 800 Ks. By contrast, Babe Ruth playing in 1968 LA loses 130 homers, and his career batting average plummets 50 points.

if I had to guess, I'd say that Dodger Stadium probably had an even higher pitching mound than most teams (but that's totally a guess on my part).

perhaps, from SI:

Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles was always known as a high-mound ball park because the Dodgers had plenty of fastball pitchers and a team that seemed capable of mustering only one or two runs. Roger Nelson, the first choice of the Kansas City Royals in the American League's expansion draft, recalls pitching once in Dodger Stadium. "That mound must have been 36 inches high," he nostalgically claims, "and it was great, like stepping off a mountain.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1082211/index.htm

Romo's deal with the Giants is a 2-year, $9 million deal. He'll make $3.5 million in 2013 and $5.5 million in 2014.

The Giants now have no more pending cases and currently have $135,775,000 guaranteed for 2013.

Top Bottom