• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Blearth

Banned
Romo's deal with the Giants is a 2-year, $9 million deal. He'll make $3.5 million in 2013 and $5.5 million in 2014.

The Giants now have no more pending cases and currently have $135,775,000 guaranteed for 2013.
Cheap ass ownership. We should be in the $160m range.

Blearth

Banned
Giants sure do like paying money for relievers.
It's worked so far.

AFFELDT.gif
romo-ws-clinch.gif

Dear God do I need baseball back :(

JABEE

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...lling-says-red-sox-encouraged-him-to-use-peds

During an interview with ESPN Radio on Wednesday, long-time big leaguer Curt Schilling said "members of the [Red Sox] organization" encouraged him to use performance-enhancing drugs toward the end of his tenure with the organization.
“At the end of my career, in 2008 when I had gotten hurt, there was a conversation that I was involved in in which it was brought to my attention that this is a potential path I might want to pursue,” Schilling told Colin Cowherd.

Asked for more details, Schilling said the conversation occurred in the clubhouse and involved “former members of the organization -- they're no longer there. It was an incredibly uncomfortable conversation. Because it came up in the midst of a group of people. The other people weren't in the conversation, but they could clearly hear the conversation. And it was suggested to me that, at my age and in my situation, why not? What did I have to lose? Because if I wasn't going to get healthy, it didn't matter. And if I did get healthy, great.

“It caught me off guard, to say the least. That was an awkward situation.”

Red Sox Culture or MLB Culture?

MLB culture. Jose Canseco said back when he played, the Players Union actually sent doctors to clubhouses to show people how to use steroids properly.

CBS Sports said:
Beginning next week, MLB Network will begin airing The Next Knuckler, a reality competition series where Tim Wakefield works with a group of former college or NFL quarterbacks in an attempt to make one the next ageless knuckleballer to hit the majors. The show will be hosted by former Wakefield teammate Kevin Millar.

The field: Doug Flutie, David Greene, Josh Booty, J.D. Booty (thought he went by John David Booty?) and Ryan Perrilloux. Greene played at the University of Georgia. Josh Booty (a former Marlins third baseman) and Ryan Perrilloux played at LSU (with Perrilloux later playing for Jacksonville State), and John David Booty played at USC. All had at least a cup of coffee in the NFL. You may have heard of Flutie.

The Next Knuckler is set to premiere at 9 p.m. ET Feb. 13 (weirdly, it's listed at 10 p.m. ET on my DirecTV program guide, but I'll trust the promo for now). Via press release, here's what the competition is about:

Taped at Vero Beach Sports Village, the former Spring Training home of the Los Angeles Dodgers, each episode will feature the contestants learning from Wakefield how to throw this baffling pitch before facing challenges to test the effectiveness of their knuckleball. One contestant will be eliminated from the competition in each episode based on his performance and input from Wakefield and Millar. The winner will earn an invitation to the Arizona Diamondbacks' Spring Training camp and the chance to pitch for the D-backs in a Spring Training game.

I love the idea, but I wonder if it would be more compelling if they used failed minor-league baseball players or even guys who had good throwing arms but never made it past the high school level?

No offense to Doug Flutie, but it's not as if he's some hard-luck guy in need of a second chance at life or anything. I think R.A. Dickey's story this past season would have been far less heart-warming had he previously been a Pro Bowl quarterback with a Heisman Trophy (like Flutie).

Then again, it's a long shot any of these contestants ever throw even one pitch in the bigs, let alone win a Cy Young.
Sounds like a good show, but it would have been better with minor leaguers trying to reach the next step. Or guys that retired prematurely.

BFIB

No, just vacate the titles for those years all together. I'd be fine with that.

I like you.

And yeah, this should be a big, big deal regarding Schilling's comments. But its not like we all haven't figured out this puzzle that both the union and the owners were happy to look the other way.

Sanjuro

clemenx

Banned
I wonder if this will end the yearly "Trade Felix to the Yankees" articles.

Also, the Tigers can't be happy about this.

There's always Kershaw. I don't think Verlander will get more due to age.

Will be interesting to see the term and $$$ for Kershaw now, but good for Felix. Can't say I have seen a lot of him outside of games against the Jays as its pretty awful watching the M's, but he definitely deserves it in this market.

Paches

Oh yeah. But we need to build a winning team around Felix. I feel so bad at the total lack of run support that the offense gives him.

I am not as down as the other signings as some people are, but we need more. What I am (or was?) afraid of was signing Bourne for massive bucks in some desperate attempt to get another bat.

Top Bottom