• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Baseball needs personality and marketing SO badly. Look at the NBA and the NFL (even with the No Fun League shit). You still have players talking and having fun, but in MLB they still have the "old guard" mentality. Naw can't have fun or express happiness... Chapman does four monkey flips and OHMYGAWD HE'S SHOWING UP THE OPPOSITION! PUT A FASTBALL IN HIS EAR!!!!

People are so afraid of showing up the opposition, even when they're not doing it. It's so stupid.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is there going to be an official GAF fantasy league?

Other than this one?

Yahoo Baseball is active, so the NEOGAF Baseball League has been renewed and invites sent to the teams who didn't abandon last year. For now there is only 4 positions open for new GAF members. This is a deep league and not for the faint of heart. If you abandon you will not get an invite back next year. If you're up to the challenge, you can join this league.
League ID#: 19118
Password: GAF

14 team, Head to Head, Live Draft Wed Mar 27, 8:00 PM EST
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Quality Starts (QS)

"Fuck you Cano, you sucK, dont you know!"
Jeter can't hit for shit, suck my stick,
Best rookie in the league, hitters don't want to meet me,
The American League is my personal jungle, they can't beat me,

Cause with a mic in my hand I'm a bad man,
Sixty foot six inches away I'm a bad man,
When it's time to go play I'm a bad man,
I'm a bad man,
I'm a bad man,

Baseball needs personality and marketing SO badly. Look at the NBA and the NFL (even with the No Fun League shit). You still have players talking and having fun, but in MLB they still have the "old guard" mentality. Naw can't have fun or express happiness... Chapman does four monkey flips and OHMYGAWD HE'S SHOWING UP THE OPPOSITION! PUT A FASTBALL IN HIS EAR!!!!

People are so afraid of showing up the opposition, even when they're not doing it. It's so stupid.

Baseball has too many uptight old fucks in its fanbase and media. I remember people freaking out because Mike Cameron would tilt his hat to the side.

Baseball has too many uptight old fucks in its fanbase and media. I remember people freaking out because Mike Cameron would tilt his hat to the side.
Oh well that was totally justifiable. By doing that Mike Cameron was identifying himself as "uppity", "a headcase", and "one of the bad ones". Also his type would be highly likely to take white women, can't have that.

Blearth

Banned
An emerging star pitcher makes a rap song calling out his haters while dropping Batman references.

The 21st century is awesome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It's why the Japanese league is miles ahead of us in the bat flip category.

twGdQtB.gif

bgJn4dC.gif

ifxgqM6XFc4dQ.gif

RBH

Hank Aaron is excited about the Braves’ revamped roster and the addition of two African-American outfielders, brothers Justin and B.J. Upton.

“Not so much just any players, but I think the two that they got are two All-Star players,” said Aaron, the legendary Braves slugger said during a visit to the team’s spring-training camp Thursday.

He was outspoken in the past about the declining number of African-American players in major league baseball. The Braves seldom had more than one black player in their lineup in recent years, particularly noticeable in a city with one of the largest black populations in the United States.

Now they’ll have the first all-black outfield in the majors in more than a decade as the Uptons team with right fielder Jason Heyward.

“I’m pleased, and I hear people from my area talking about how pleased that they are,” said Aaron, a Braves senior vice president. “So I’m hoping that they show their appreciation by coming to the ballpark.”

The last big-league team to have three black outfielders in its regular lineup was the 2001 Minnesota Twins with Jacque Jones, Matt Lawton and Torii Hunter.

“I don’t know anybody that had the combination of speed and power and all of the things these three kids can do,” Aaron said of the Braves outfield. “Here again, they’ve got to go out there and prove it.”

Aaron knows about brothers as teammates, after having brother Tommie Aaron on Braves teams for parts of seven seasons.

“Sometimes playing with your brother has its ups and downs, but I understand that these two kids are very close to one another,” Aaron said of the Uptons. “I think that at this level, both of them have been successful in the big leagues, I see no reason at all that they can’t have a lot of fun playing with one another…

“The only time I played with (Tommie) I was a little despondent because I didn’t think my brother played as much as he should have. I looked at it after my career and (realized) there was a lot of pressure on him to continue doing what I was doing, and it wasn’t like that, it wasn’t that easy…. Both (Uptons) have had success in the big leagues. That helps quite a bit.”

While pleased the Braves were able to trade for Justin Upton in January, two months after signing older brother B.J. to five-year free-agent contract, Aaron wasn’t thrilled to lose versatile veteran Martin Prado in the trade.

“You hate to lose Prado," he said. "He was one of my (favorites). I think you’ve got to go a long ways in order to beat him, to find somebody who can play all the positions as well as he plays them. To bring what he brings to the clubhouse, and the way he plays the game.

“We needed a ballplayer and we went out and got one, and it cost us dearly. Because this kid [Prado] can truly play ball. He’s going to be missed and I wish him the best of luck. I hope he goes there and hits .400.”

Aaron flew to Orlando Thursday along with other Braves executives aboard team CEO Terry McGuirk’s private plane. Aaron shook some hands and filmed a commercial with Heyward.

After struggling in 2011 during his injury-slowed second season, Heyward bounced back in 2012 with career-highs in doubles (30), triples (six), home runs (27), RBIs (82), stolen bases (21) and slugging percentage (.479).

“I was tickled to death,” Aaron said. “I always felt like he was going to be the kind of ballplayer that he should be. It was just a matter of him getting some at-bats and having some good success. Jason can be probably one of the greatest ballplayers in the league.”

Aaron commented on Heyward’s 6-foot-5, 235-pound frame – “He looks like he’s grown a couple of inches; my God…whew” – and said his advice to the 23-year-old McDonough native is basic.

“He’s been through some things most young players go through,” Aaron said. “Getting disgusted with not playing; somebody might pinch-hit for him against a certain pitcher, where when he was coming up as a young kid he never had that happen. But I think his mentality really has improved as far as that’s concerned.

“The only thing I’ve talked to him about is, this is the game of baseball, it’s 160-some games, you’re not going to have good games all the time. People come out here to watch you play and you might hit a grand slam one day, and the next thing that same customer might come out and see you strike out with the bases loaded and everybody starts booing. You’ve got to be prepared for all of that.”
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/aaron-pleased-braves-additions-hated-losing-prado/nWPks/

aFIGurANT

Is there going to be an official GAF fantasy league?
That's my question too...there was the league that had four spots a week ago that's like the mainstream league and then the one the brilliantly named Trust in Realignment won last year. Enron was the commissioner and whatnot? I'd start it if he/someone else didn't want to this year....

rekameohs

Banned
"Because this kid [Prado] can truly play ball. He’s going to be missed and I wish him the best of luck. I hope he goes there and hits .400.”
I hope that as well, Hank. Cody Grit, Gritty Bloomquist, and Grit Grittington only get you so far.

Jangocube

Banned
Bah, poor Trevor Bauer. No one understands him!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Mike Trout has a Bonds-ish size head now..........not saying it's related to anything though.....

Parch

Benny the Jet, #6org, and lastflowers still have not rejoined the Yahoo NEOGAF Baseball League so I'll give them another week before they get dumped. Last chance guys.

Right now there is one opening, so you can join

If you try and it says "league full", somebody beat you to it, but if those 3 don't rejoin there will be 3 more open spots in a week.

RBH

Benny the Jet, #6org, and lastflowers still have not rejoined the Yahoo NEOGAF Baseball League so I'll give them another week before they get dumped. Last chance guys.

Right now there is one opening, so you can join

If you try and it says "league full", somebody beat you to it, but if those 3 don't rejoin there will be 3 more open spots in a week.

Thank you for the reminder.

I'm back to defend my crown, motherfuckers!

aFIGurANT

I just sniped that last spot in the league, sorry folks. But the champion of the Gaf Rejects is officially in the hunt for an official championship: Trust in Redemption for the win! Book it.

Benny the Jet got hot and cruised through the playoffs without much opposition. Not much of a fluke, just insane levels of luck!

My crazy hot streak ran out 1 week to early. I was in last place and then I won like 9 straight matchups before the championship games.

Jeffrey Loria repeatedly told Jose Reyes he would never be traded and encouraged him to buy a house in Miami less than 48 hours before he was traded to the Blue Jays.

Jose Reyes Rips Jeffrey Loria For Trade, Calls Him A Liar

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Shortstop Jose Reyes made one thing clear Friday: He isn't the president of the Jeffrey Loria Fan Club.

Three months after what he called a "shocking" trade that sent him from Loria's team, the Marlins, to the Toronto Blue Jays, Reyes said that just days before he was traded, the club's owner still was encouraging him to buy a house in Miami.

"I was shocked, because Jeffrey Loria, he always told me he's never going to trade me," Reyes said on his first day as a Blue Jay. "He always called my agent and said, 'Tell Jose to get a good place here to live,' and stuff like that."

In fact, Reyes said he and Loria attended a dinner together only a couple of days before the trade, and "he was talking still about 'get a nice house in Miami.'"

"That was kind of crazy," the 29-year-old Reyes said. "I mean, how can you want me to spend some money in Miami, when I have my house in New York, and you're going to trade me in two days?"

In December 2011, Reyes signed a six-year, $106 million contract with the Marlins and thought he would spend those six years in South Beach. Instead, he found himself getting traded north of the border less than a year later. And afterward, he said, it took him a while to get over the shock and anger of the move.

"For a couple of days, a couple of weeks, you know, I still couldn't believe what was going on," he said. "But by now, I'm here in spring training, looking forward to getting on the field with my new team. It is what it is."

Reyes said he still hasn't spoken to Loria or any member of the Marlins organization since the trade -- because he doesn't want to.

"After the trade, I don't talk to those guys," he said. "After the trade, everything's done. So I don't need to talk to them because they traded me. So why do I need to talk to them? If they trade me, that means they don't want me there. So I don't need to approach them and say, 'Why'd you trade me?' and stuff like that. Like I said, I was with [Loria] a couple days before the trade and he no say anything. So that caught everybody by surprise."

Asked if he would like to see Loria and get an explanation for why he wasn't warned about the deal, Reyes said: "I don't need to see him. And he don't want to see me, because he traded me."

Reyes said he understood that trades are "part of the business." But if any future free agents ask him about the Marlins, they shouldn't expect rave reviews.

"I don't need to say anything," he said. "They see what happened. I signed there for like six years. I played there one year. So I don't have to explain anything.

"But I feel sorry for the fan base there in Miami because they had a great fan base there. To let them down like that, I mean, that's going to be tough for them."

Reyes said he also feels sorry for Giancarlo Stanton and the other Marlins players who remain on a team that has cut more than $70 million in payroll since last year.

"Stanton, he's an unbelievable great player. Great guy. Great teammate," Reyes said. "But like I say, it is what it is. I feel sorry for him. But that's the way it is."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/s...lasts-jeffrey-loria-miami-marlins-trading-him

Top Bottom