• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MLB using WBC to study replay

Several Major League Baseball officials will travel to World Baseball Classic games in Miami this month to explore potential options for an extensive expansion of instant replay, baseball people familiar with the trip told ESPN.com.

The officials plan to observe which camera angles are used, determine how long it takes to see a definitive replay of close plays and estimate the amount of time it would take to review controversial calls using various systems under consideration. MLB has all but abandoned plans to limit reviews to only fair/foul and trap/catch calls, as ESPN.com reported several weeks ago. Those calls are part of baseball's new collective bargaining agreement. Instead, as the Miami trip indicates, the sport is now considering scenarios for reviewing a much wider spectrum of calls, including calls at home plate and calls on the bases.

MLB is still in the early stages of exploring which calls to review and the format under which to review them. And commissioner Bud Selig conceded recently that the sport has run out of time to implement any changes before Opening Day.

However, a vast expansion of replay is now widely viewed within baseball circles as being likely for next season. And some officials haven't given up hope on implementing some changes as early as midseason this year, though that is viewed as a long shot.

What baseball still needs to determine is:

• Whether to use a manager-challenge system similar to that in the NFL, or empower a designated replay umpire to decide which calls to review.

• Whether a replay umpire would be stationed in each park, or whether an umpiring crew would review calls in all games from a central location, almost certainly in New York (which is similar to the NHL, which reviews goal-line calls at a hub in Toronto).

• Which calls would be reviewed, and which wouldn't. While it's obvious that balls and strikes wouldn't be reviewable, it still hasn't been determined where baseball would draw the line on what else wouldn't be feasible to review. Officials now believe they need a system that enables them to look at many calls on the bases and at home plate, but it hasn't been determined whether certain calls would be excluded.

The Miami trip will be baseball's first opportunity to begin answering these questions.
However, officials plan to do similar studies during the season so that, before MLB settles on answers to these questions, it has real data that will paint a truer picture of the potential options and how much time, if any, such options are likely to add to the average game.

Eventually, whatever plan they favor has to be negotiated with two unions -- the players' union and the umpires' union. Since the current Basic Agreement only permits the use of replay on fair/foul and trap/catch calls, any expansion beyond that means both unions have to sign off on any changes.

However, ESPN.com was told this winter that members of both unions favor expanded replay, if it's a system that works for everyone. Baseball's challenge now is to determine exactly what that system might be.

RBH

The Braves’ revenue increased by $17 million last year, an 8-percent jump, according to a new financial filing by team owner Liberty Media.

The Braves had revenue of $225 million and adjusted operating income before depreciation and amortization of $22 million for 2012, Liberty disclosed.

For 2011, Liberty previously reported that the Braves had revenue of $208 million and adjusted operating income before depreciation and amortization of a negative $6 million.

Part of the reason for the big change in income stemmed from financial reporting associated with the October 2011 trade of pitcher Derek Lowe to Cleveland.

The Braves agreed to pay $10 million toward Lowe’s guaranteed 2012 salary as part of that trade. Liberty reported the amount as a fourth-quarter 2011 expense, dropping the Braves to the $6 million loss from what otherwise would have been a $4 million profit for that year. For accounting purposes, that took the $10 million Lowe expense off the Braves’ 2012 ledger.

But even after taking that shift into consideration, the Braves’ adjusted operating income improved by another $18 million for 2012 as the revenue increase flowed to the bottom line.

In its financial report, Liberty attributed the revenue increase to “slightly greater fan attendance and with a slightly higher average price per ticket.” Citing the Lowe trade, the company said income also “was positively impacted by slightly lower player salaries.”

The increase in revenue was much larger than the $5 million, or 2.5 percent, jump from 2010 to 2011.

Colorado-based Liberty Media has owned the Braves since 2007. The Braves are one of the few U.S. sports franchises owned by a publicly traded company and thus one of the few that discloses its financial results.

The Braves have taken on two major long-term contracts since the end of last season by acquiring brothers B.J. and Justin Upton for the outfield. The Braves signed B.J. Upton to a five-year, $75.25 million free-agent contract and assumed the remaining three years and $38.5 million on Justin Upton’s contract in a trade.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/liberty-media-braves-revenue-17-million-last-year/nWgfk/

Thinking of "borrowing" my little bro's PS3 to play The Show. He has no use for it since my mom took it away after he got expelled from school. Other than Diamond Dynasty, is there anything else worthwhile that isn't included in the Vita version?

So he's a (bandwagon) Dodgers fan and you're a Brewers fan? Sounds like you failed as the older sibling.

Oh, I definitely admit to having been a colossal failure as a brother. I was never around and hardly ever did anything with him. Too busy working, going to school and keeping up a social life. One of my bigger regrets in life.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Do you have a younger brother? They usually buck the trends you set. Its how they separate themselves.

Nope, only child.

Oh, I definitely admit to having been a colossal failure as a brother. I was never around and hardly ever did anything with him. Too busy working, going to school and keeping up a social life. One of my bigger regrets in life.

...and now I feel shitty. Sorry dude.

Nope, only child.

...and now I feel shitty. Sorry dude.

No, don't worry. I own my failures. It's not like I ever didn't have opportunities, I just never capitalized on it. He was one of those babies parents have a decade after their initial kids, so I always felt a sort of disconnect with him. Nevertheless, I can talk to him about girls now and being more respectful to them, so at least I can impart some knowledge.

Groping a girl in full view of a security camera. Idiot was wearing his new Grienke Dodgers shirt which gave him away.

that gets you expelled? what grade is he in?

you shouldn't even beat yourself up over it. your older brother not playing with you is no excuse for bad behavior. (and a Greinke shirt) you have NOTHING to do with this.

Maxim726X

Harvey, Flores, and Montero for Stanton.

A) Is this a fair trade?
B) Is this one you would make if you're Sandy Alderson?

Discuss.

CygnusXS

Really.

I would think an offer of Wheeler/Harvey + Flores + Fulmer/Montero is fair.

I mean, is there someone who is willing to offer more than that?
A top 5 MLB position player with 4 years of team control is worth more than a young pitcher, a positionless hitting prospect, and a pitching prospect.

And no there probably isn't a better deal out there right now, but that's why they shouldn't be trading him right now.

Maxim726X

A top 5 MLB position player with 4 years of team control is worth more than a young pitcher, a positionless hitting prospect, and a pitching prospect.

And no there probably isn't a better deal out there right now, but that's why they shouldn't be trading him right now.

Not positionless. Plays third, but obviously he's going to be blocked long-term now.

They're going to trade him eventually, they have to.

CygnusXS

Not positionless. Plays third, but obviously he's going to be blocked long-term now.

They're going to trade him eventually, they have to.
Does he play it well though?

Marlins shouldn't even think about trading Stanton for at least a year or two.

Top Bottom