• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

jakncoke

Banned
Van Benschoten hit and pitched in short-season ball in 2001, but when spring training came the next year, the Pirates had made their minds up. "A coach came and grabbed the bat out of my hand," Van Benschoten says. "He said, 'You don't do that anymore.'"

lol

Van Benschoten currently holds the highest ERA in MLB history with at least 75 innings pitched. He has a career 9.20 ERA in 90 career MLB innings.

In 26 MLB appearances (19 starts), Van Benschoten gave up at least one earned run in 24 of those appearances.

He gave up at least 4 earned runs in 13 of those appearances.

Yes, Pirates, much better potential as a pitcher.

jakncoke

Banned
You're just saying that because you know he's white. Like, I mean literally he's the color white.

Meanwhile, I've actually been banned for racist slurs before. Ask Jakncoke, he saw it all.

yeah saying fuck those honkeys is frowned upon even if vas is uber white weeaboo

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
r4EfkYd.png

Ghost runners essentially, huh? It's elementary school streetball all over again!

yeah saying fuck those honkeys is frowned upon even if vas is uber white weeaboo

You know, in the 90's we used 'honkey' to refer to rural rednecks. I didn't know it was a slur until I was like 12 or 13. Of course, a 'honky' was someone who went to 'honky-tonk' bars or liked 'honky-tonk' music. *shrugs*

jakncoke

Banned
lol thats dumb as shit.

You know, in the 90's we used 'honkey' to refer to rural rednecks. I didn't know it was a slur until I was like 12 or 13. Of course, a 'honky' was someone who went to 'honky-tonk' bars or liked 'honky-tonk' music. *shrugs*

452432.jpg

Either way you should of gotten a pass seeing you're white. Then again blame got banned for saying fuck whites or something and he's white as well.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well the best option is to pick random people out of the audience. The fatter the better. Fat people running is always funny.

But sadly mlb never chooses the best option.

cashman

Banned
Shane Robinson is OPSing 1.544 this spring. :p

Price is going to be a little steep for those kinds of stats. There's this Taveras guy that you have and he's only like OPSing .800. I'm pretty desperate for some outfielders so I'd be willing to give up Mike Olt for him. You might need to throw in a sweetner though.

Well the best option is to pick random people out of the audience. The fatter the better. Fat people running is always funny.

But sadly mlb never chooses the best option.

Let kids from the Make-A-Wish Foundation run. You speed up the game, and you make a kid's dream come true.

Unless you hate sick kids...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You're just saying that because you know he's white. Like, I mean literally he's the color white.

Meanwhile, I've actually been banned for racist slurs before. Ask Jakncoke, he saw it all.

IT'S WINTER IN OHIO...

I knew I should have used some of Boehner's orange lotion.. Plus flash and stuff.. :lol

This summer in the middle of the baseball season I'm going to post a pic of my tan self in my pool. Mark your calendars.

Price is going to be a little steep for those kinds of stats. There's this Taveras guy that you have and he's only like OPSing .800. I'm pretty desperate for some outfielders so I'd be willing to give up Mike Olt for him. You might need to throw in a sweetner though.
Why would you want a minor league guy instead of one with major league experience? And I'm not sure we need to trade for a guy who would ride the bench on our team. He might not even be our best option as an utility man.

cashman

Banned
Why would you want a minor league guy instead of one with major league experience? And I'm not sure we need to trade for a guy who would ride the bench on our team. He might not even be our best option as an utility man.

okay you got me, I was just trying to unload Olt because he's blocked. I'll give you what you want: A teenage shortstop phenom. I'll give you Luis Sardinas.

cashman

Banned
Why was I thinking Ryan was apart of the ownership group and had rank over Daniels..?!

Technically he's part of the group, but he's more of a front man. He used to also be the President of baseball operations and buisness operations, but now Daniels is Pres of baseball operations and this Rick George guy is in charge of Business operations. Ryan is basically a figurehead now, and there are questions of whether he wants that or not.

also, this isn't the first time that they've pushed out the frontman. Chuck Greenberg was the "owner" after the group got the team in 2009, but he didn't make it past spring training in 2010.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I would honestly be surprised if Gattis ever sticks as a starter for the Braves. I still believe Bethancourt is the future at catcher.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Where do I sign up to be a ghost runner? ITT I am already a ghastly white ghost. It would be perfect right guys?

Maxim726X

When will I be able to buy AS tickets on Stub Hub?

And if I were interested in buying two, hypothetically, how much am I looking at?

turnbuckle

Now that the Tigers are rumored to be considering dealing Rick Porcello he's been dealing. Fastball and sinker velocity are up and he's been showing a curve that's looked pretty good. Would love to see him finally put it together, but would hate to see it only after he's been dealt.

I remember reading scouting reports where his fastballs were upper 90s and thought he was gonna be another power arm.

4T0pBfU.png

I can't remember what point in his career they wanted Porcello to be more of a contact, sinker pitcher but I think it's a case of over-managing and stunting his development. The second half of 2010 and first half of 2011 showed him pitching with a noticeable dip in velocity. His issue has consistently been getting that third strike, and that's probably due to not throwing an overpowering fastball or sinker while also not having good enough offspeed pitches to get hitters off balance.

If his velocity can sit at or above where it was last year and he's finally found a reliable breaking ball I'll be quite happy with him as our 5th starter. Having Smyly waiting in the wings is nice insurance in the 5 spot, but I'd love to see Porcello finally blossom.

Can the season hurry up and get here? Opening day is still nearly 4 weeks away. Longest spring training ever.

Top Bottom