• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Marleyman

Banned
Pirates fan here. Long suffering one at that, but optimistic about their chances this year. I once met Mike Schmidt after a game at Three Rivers and he wouldn't even sign my glove...he did tap me on the head which led to a storied Little League career.

The Tex thing and that fake tweet just put me on a roller coaster of emotions.

I just can't, bros. I'm starting Expos-Age this season, because - hey - you know the Yankees aren't winning crap this year.

Who's with me?
WHO'S WITH ME?

I'm in.

youppi_i.jpg

McNei1y

Let's just add two entire conferences. One conference has 10 people who bat - one is the pitcher and the other is a DH. The other has 8 people who bat, neither the pitcher or a DH spot bat.

BFIB

Let's just add two entire conferences. One conference has 10 people who bat - one is the pitcher and the other is a DH. The other has 8 people who bat, neither the pitcher or a DH spot bat.

That's too confusing for my traditional baseball mind.

Just do away wit the DH all together.

alstein

I used to be heavily against the DH, now not so much.

I do think benches need to be expanded to compensate for the larger pens now. I'd have a 28-man roster

Tobor

Nats fan checking in. It took a while, but I'm finally over the rough playoff loss and ready for what looks like a great year, knock on wood. I like the Denard Span and Dan Haren pickups. I'm bummed about losing Michael Morse, but it needed to be done.

Booties

Banned
I used to be heavily against the DH, now not so much.

I do think benches need to be expanded to compensate for the larger pens now. I'd have a 28-man roster

I totally agree with you. Pitching seems to be evolving faster than batting.

Nats fan checking in. It took a while, but I'm finally over the rough playoff loss and ready for what looks like a great year, knock on wood. I like the Denard Span and Dan Haren pickups. I'm bummed about losing Michael Morse, but it needed to be done.

I'm glad Dan Haren is in the NL, but not in my division. Can't wait to see him and Hamels go head to head.

I just can't, bros. I'm starting Expos-Age this season, because - hey - you know the Yankees aren't winning crap this year.

Who's with me?
WHO'S WITH ME?
Lets be clear about something brah, you did not start Expos age.

But what would poor Travis Hafner do?

Speaking of the Yanks, my autodraft for my ESPN fantasy team got me Teixiera with one of my top picks. Yay me.

Also, Ubaldo's starting today for the Indians. Wonder how many runs he coughs up today and if he can even get three innings. At this point I'd take any of the 4th/5th starter candidates (McAllister, Kazmir, Dice-K, Carrasco, etc.) over him.

BFIB

But what would poor Travis Hafner do?

Speaking of the Yanks, my autodraft for my ESPN fantasy team got me Texiera with one of my top picks. Yay me.

Also, Ubaldo's starting today for the Indians. Wonder how many runs he coughs up today and if he can even get three innings. At this point I'd take any of the 4th/5th starter candidates (McAllister, Kazmir, Dice-K, Carrasco, etc.) over him.

Its astounding how fast he's fallen off.

In other awesome news, me and the wife are planning a trip to Norfolk over July 4th week to visit some friends. She just called to let me know we're making a stop in Baltimore. She ordered tix for the June 30th game against the Yankees.

I finally get to see Camden. I'm fucking pumped!

Never seen Camden Yards? Beautiful place, especially the complex (Convention Center/stores surrounding). However the ballpark appears like it's below ground level, not used to that all all.

LOL, I thought he was talking about Camden NJ and couldnt figure out why he would be excited to see that.

Booties

Banned
That's what I was about to say as well, yankeehater. That cop chase from camden to philly was excellent.

In other awesome news, me and the wife are planning a trip to Norfolk over July 4th week to visit some friends. She just called to let me know we're making a stop in Baltimore. She ordered tix for the June 30th game against the Yankees.

Might as well do an east coast tour. Check out Philly and DC.

That Ubaldo trade was such a bust. I hope something can be salvaged out of him this year.

Camden is amazing...I try to get there whenever the Indians are in town. You're in for a treat!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Aaron "ROTY" Hicks has me pretty excited to see him play. I'm hoping we get to see an Arcia/Hicks/Benson OF at some point this season. I'd prefer that to watching Pamelee and Willingham look awful in the corners.

I finally get to watch a spring game tomorrow night. Hooray.

turnbuckle

That Ubaldo trade was such a bust. I hope something can be salvaged out of him this year.

Camden is amazing...I try to get there whenever the Indians are in town. You're in for a treat!

The trade looked like a bust even before it happened. I remember the Tigers were in talks of getting Ubaldo around that time and we on the Tigers forum were frightened at such a prospect. So Cleveland got Ubaldo and we got Fister. All is right in the world.

The trade looked like a bust even before it happened. I remember the Tigers were in talks of getting Ubaldo around that time and we on the Tigers forum were frightened at such a prospect. So Cleveland got Ubaldo and we got Fister. All is right in the world.

I don't think anyone in Cleveland besides Shapiro and Antonetti wanted him either. Oh how I would love to have Fister right now. Hopefully Tito has the good sense to pull Ubaldo out of the rotation once he really starts to stink it up (which should take all of 2 or 3 innings in his April 3rd start in Toronto).

What the hell even happened to Ubaldo? He figured out how to dominate in Coors fucking Field of all places for two seasons, then just fell apart.

What the hell even happened to Ubaldo? He figured out how to dominate in Coors fucking Field of all places for two seasons, then just fell apart.

Drop in velocity and crappy mechanics that I don't think anyone can fix. Of course I'd love to be wrong on him for this year but at this point I have 0 faith.

Syrinx

Yeah that Ubaldo trade was questionable to say the least even when it happened. How are the prospects that Cleveland sent doing, other than Pomeranz who I think had TJ surgery?

Yeah that Ubaldo trade was questionable to say the least even when it happened. How are the prospects that Cleveland sent doing, other than Pomeranz who I think had TJ surgery?

Alex White's with the Astros now. He and Pomeranz haven't done anything yet either, though both are healthy. So I guess for now the trade is a wash.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Velocity is down. FB was around 96 on average now its around 92. And his slider along with being slower (was around 86, now around 83) has a lot less movement. The percentage of balls batters swing outside the zone is down from around 29% to 23% as well. Seems like its mainly just his stuff isn't as good as it used to be, I assume due to getting older more than anything.

Who's with me?
WHO'S WITH ME?

Expos Council?
Montreal Council?
not sure I like your feels brah....

BREAKING: Mariano Rivera to announce he will retire after the 2013 season at press conference Saturday morning at 10 AM ET

I figured. the dynasty is over.

Opiate

It will be interesting to see if Jeter or Pettite holds out longer. Who will be the last rusty, broken down cog in the Yankees machine of the late 1990s? Does Pettite even count given that he played for the Astros for some time, and then took a break?

Sanjuro

It will be interesting to see if Jeter or Pettite holds out longer. Who will be the last rusty, broken down cog in the Yankees machine of the late 1990s? Does Pettite even count given that he played for the Astros for some time, and then took a break?

Pettite is over forty now, needs PEDs to stay healthy. Still is getting paid well though.

Jeter still is hitting fairly well, hasn't made a transition to third or designated hitter yet. If he recovered from the ankle injury properly, should still keep going for a few more seasons.

Furcal out for TJ surgery.

Revolving door at SS commence!
If he had the surgery last year instead of waiting until ST...

I'm rooting hard for Kozma to give us average production at SS but I'm not holding my breath. He or Jackson will probably be our best bets internally. Don't want to see Descalso or Cedeno starting at SS.

If he had the surgery last year instead of waiting until ST...

I'm rooting hard for Kozma to give us average production at SS but I'm not holding my breath. He or Jackson will probably be our best bets internally. Don't want to see Descalso or Cedeno starting at SS.

Yeah, I'd imagine there are a lot of people in the STL organization not very happy with him. If he had gotten the TJ surgery in September when he got injured, he'd be ready to go.

He counts as part of the core. Jeter will outlast him though, unless the ankle surgery seriously fucked him up somehow.

crpav

Hey, my franchise are the Expos. Back off.

I miss the days of Vlad hitting bombs into empty seats or what could have been the year of the strike :( I am a White Sox fan but I don't like change and am very nostalgic so when the Expos moved and got renamed I cried a little.

Friggz

Its amazing to see a player announce his retirenment while still in his prime. Im glad I will have my first child in time to see (but not remember) mariano pitch.

I cant wait to be at the stadium opening night, the place will rock if enter sandman starts to blast.

Friggz

Pettite is over forty now, needs PEDs to stay healthy. Still is getting paid well though.

Jeter still is hitting fairly well, hasn't made a transition to third or designated hitter yet. If he recovered from the ankle injury properly, should still keep going for a few more seasons.

he isnt moving off shortstop lol.

BFIB

Yeah, I'd imagine there are a lot of people in the STL organization not very happy with him. If he had gotten the TJ surgery in September when he got injured, he'd be ready to go.

Here's the thing. I can't believe for one second what the Cards brass is telling the press. The Cardinals have gone through this same song and dance with:

Mulder
Rolen
Carpenter twice
Wainwright
Freese
Furcal
Edmonds

And the synopsis is always:

1. Player is hurt
2. Cards front office says that they need to "evaluate"
3. Player is given rest for the issue
4. Player returns
5. Player is hurt even worse than before, with the same injury
6. Cards do nothing, but deflect the blame

This is the exact scenario that is happening with Furcal.

Top Bottom