• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
1. Player is hurt
2. Cards front office says that they need to "evaluate"
3. Player is given rest for the issue
4. Player returns
5. Player is hurt even worse than before, with the same injury
6. Cards do nothing, but deflect the blame

This is the exact scenario that is happening with Furcal.
Sounds like the Twins' medical staff is pulling double duty in St. Louis.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Rivera's last game will be blowing the last game of the season to miss out on the playoffs.

Mo is no Krimbel.

iGMWxFirpZy2o.gif

zulux21

Rivera's last game will be blowing the last game of the season to miss out on the playoffs.

are you expecting Rivera to be traded to the Braves? I really don't see the yankees being in the playoff race at the end of the year (given their gimped team and the strength of the AL east this year), now the braves missing the playoffs by one game... that I could easily see happening for the third year in a row lol (likely with the cards squeaking past them again)

Here's the thing. I can't believe for one second what the Cards brass is telling the press. The Cardinals have gone through this same song and dance with:

Mulder
Rolen
Carpenter twice
Wainwright
Freese
Furcal
Edmonds

And the synopsis is always:

1. Player is hurt
2. Cards front office says that they need to "evaluate"
3. Player is given rest for the issue
4. Player returns
5. Player is hurt even worse than before, with the same injury
6. Cards do nothing, but deflect the blame

This is the exact scenario that is happening with Furcal.
I think Wainwright is the only one where this kind of thing didn't drag on with false hopes/promises. He elected for surgery early on so unless they hid his symptoms for a while, they didn't go months on end with the rest schtick. It definitely is a familiar scenario though so maybe the Cards medical staff should learn to be more stern or convincing about the surgery option.

Friggz

are you expecting Rivera to be traded to the Braves? I really don't see the yankees being in the playoff race at the end of the year (given their gimped team and the strength of the AL east this year), now the braves missing the playoffs by one game... that I could easily see happening for the third year in a row lol (likely with the cards squeaking past them again)

strength of the AL east? lol. its the weakest its been in a while.

Sanjuro

Carl Crawful still complaining about the Boston media.

Carl Crawford continues to struggle to get on the field with the Dodgers, while continuing to complain about his experience with his former team. On Thursday, he took some shots at the Boston media.

“That smile turned upside down quick,” Crawford told Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com of his time in Boston. “I think they want to see that in Boston. They love it when you’re miserable.

“Burying people in the media, they think that makes a person play better. That media was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced in my life.”

Crawford, traded to Los Angeles last August, said he’s still hoping to play Opening Day, but he’s still limited as he recovers from Tommy John surgery last season.

Meanwhile, talking about his time in Boston, he said that he realizes signing with the Red Sox was a mistake.

“It just wasn’t the right place for me at the end of my day,” he said. “I didn’t do my homework. Maybe they didn’t, either.

“At the end of the day, it just wasn’t the place for me.”

Crawford’s numbers took a dramatic decline during his injury-plagued 1½ seasons in Boston, but he’s convinced he can bounce back now that he has “that free-spirit feel” he used to have when he played for the Rays.

“I feel like I’ve got a lot of baseball left,” he said. “But over there [in Boston] I felt like my career was almost over.”

Crawford acknowledged that his performance was worthy of criticism in Boston.

“I get it, I didn’t perform,” he said. “I got the money. I didn’t perform. I gave them every reason.”

That said, he complained that the criticism was too much.

“I took so much of a beating in Boston, I don’t think anything could bother me anymore,” he said. “They can say what they want — that I’m the worst free agent ever — and it won’t get to me. But it bothered me the whole time there.

“Look how they treat [John] Lackey. Adrian [Gonzalez] hit 30 home runs [actually 27], and they talked about him not hitting home runs.”

I know our media sucks, but it's called being a professional baseball player. Something you don't learn playing for blue seats in Florida. I like how he absorbs all the guilt, only for him to turn around and cry even more.

Enjoy the cancer, Magic!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

[/B]
I know our media sucks, but it's called being a professional baseball player. Something you don't learn playing for blue seats in Florida.

Enjoy the cancer, Magic!
HIV + Cancer? Magic should be an extra in the walking dead.

zulux21

strength of the AL east? lol. its the weakest its been in a while.

that's quite debatable, yes there isn't two super powerhouse teams (boston, yankees) as in the past (talking before the rays became contenders obviously), but there isn't really a bad team anymore as the Os should still be pretty good, they didn't lose anyone that important that i can recall, the jays should be much improved (on paper more improved than the yankees have fallen), the red sox should be a little better than last year, tampa might be a bit weaker, and the yankees are weaker but overall it should be stronger than last year.

I know our media sucks, but it's called being a professional baseball player. Something you don't learn playing for blue seats in Florida. I like how he absorbs all the guilt, only for him to turn around and cry even more.

Enjoy the cancer, Magic!
I'm surprised he isn't over it by now. Seems like the rest of the guys brought over in the trade don't seem to care about what happened back in Boston anymore.

zulux21

ah cool the white sox extended Chris Sale
Sale's deal covers his remaining pre-arbitration season, his three arbitration seasons, and at least one free agent year. The contract also includes club options for the 2018 and 2019 seasons. The 23-year-old will earn $850K in 2013, $3.5MM in 2014, $6MM in 2015, $9.15MM in 2016 and $12MM in 2017. The White Sox have options for $2018 ($12.5MM) and 2019 ($13.5MM) with $1MM buyouts.

As long as he doesn't get hurt this should be a solid contract for the white sox.

Sanjuro

I'm surprised he isn't over it by now. Seems like the rest of the guys brought over in the trade don't seem to care about what happened back in Boston anymore.

Think of it as a chip in his back pocket, so he can reference his emotional trauma once he starts playing terrible.

So if it is purely based on being in nice happy warmer weather ... why hasn't the Yankees or Mets hit just as many?

I mean 26 HR's vs. 8 and 12 respectively.

Romero just hit another HR. Make it 29 HR's.

Mets haven't brought back Bobby V yet.

Also franchise has been cursed since Ollie left, you can't cure voodoo

Syrinx

My dad called me last night and said he and his boss met Paul O'Neill at a restaurant in Greenville, SC. Didn't have much in the way of specifics. He said he was a really nice guy, though.

/random anecdote.

My dad called me last night and said he and his boss met Paul O'Neill at a restaurant in Greenville, SC. Didn't have much in the way of specifics. He said he was a really nice guy, though.

/random anecdote.
Paul sounds like he's a cool dude, laid back.

aFIGurANT

Romo vs. rizzo with 1 out, runners at 1st and 3rd in the top 9th.

Edit: And Italy is posed to win with at least a 6-5 lead. This helps the US and CA for sure if they take this.

Top Bottom