• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
RUe883s.png
iGeEmX4p5OI8P.gif

Friggz

Both r coming off surgeries. Pettitte is pretty old.

sabathia has had surgery the last two offseasons, all routine procedures. Im not worried about him. Pettitte, while he is old, missed time last year becuase of a fluke injury. Im never really concerend about his arm or the numbers he will put up. He will be one of the better number 3 starters in baseball.

sabathia has had surgery the last two offseasons, all routine procedures. Im not worried about him. Pettitte, while he is old, missed time last year becuase of a fluke injury. Im never really concerend about his arm or the numbers he will put up. He will be one of the better number 3 starters in baseball.
So let me get this straight:

Kuroda is 38; ok pitcher, moves to a notorious bandbox park and will after playing a year there will become "one of the better number 3 starters in baseball".

R.A. Dickey is 38; just won a Cy Young, will move into a smaller park and will become "a question mark".

BFIB

Kuroda is 38; ok pitcher, moves to a notorious bandbox park and will after playing a year there will become "one of the better number 3 starters in baseball".

R.A. Dickey is 38; just won a Cy Young, will move into a smaller park and will become "a question mark".

AL East Logic!

Friggz

Where did i mention kuroda becoming one of the better number 3s?

And comparing Kuroda to Dickey is ridiculous. Kuroda is the better pitcher.

Macattk15

So youre saying Dickey career > kuroda career?

I don't give a shit what Kuroda did in Japan.

If you compare the last 5 years of Dickey to Kuroda ... they come out pretty even statwise ... except in the last 3 years Dickey is >>>> Kuroda. I'm a fan of neither of them.

Just look at their ERA+, FIP, whatever numbers. Dickey today isn't the same Dickey from 5 years ago.

Both 37 years of age .... I'd go with a knuckleballer over a standard pitcher at that age. I do think Dickey will be hit around harder in the AL though.

crpav

So youre saying Dickey career > kuroda career?

Both are flash in the pan old pitchers. Dickey only gets so much love because of the season he had last year. Give me 4 more similar seasons and we will reopen the talks...this is to those arguing that one is better than the other. Both are old and have had below average short careers. Too may players have been similar seasons through out the years so why even argue who's better? In 5 years you won't remember them anyway. Jack McDowell who?

Darobga

----------------------------- W L ERA G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO WP BK WHIP H9 HR9
R.A. Dickey-- 2010-2012 39 28 2.95 94 91 8 4 1 0 617 559 225 202 55 150 468 24 2 1.15 8.15 0.80
Hiroki Kuroda 2010-2012 40 40 3.26 96 96 3 2 0 0 618 581 250 224 64 148 487 37 1 1.18 8.46 0.93

Stats the last three years for reference.

I'm catching up on the Baseball Tonight podcast and wow. Mariano Rivera's victory lap is just going to be a season long ongoing blowjob from the journalists, huh? Good God.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm catching up on the Baseball Tonight podcast and wow. Mariano Rivera's victory lap is just going to be a season long ongoing blowjob from the journalists, huh? Good God.
HE MIGHT BE THE GREATEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY BASEBALL. Just wait until Jeter announces his retirement. I'll probably skip watching baseball for a year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Pretty similar k/bb the last 3 years.

Kuroda k/bb 3.29
Dickey k/bb 3.12
I listened to the first few episodes and it was awful. I quickly unsubscribed. Keith Law apparently is having a podcast coming out tomorrow though.

HE MIGHT BE THE GREATEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY BASEBALL. Just wait until Jeter announces his retirement. I'll probably skip watching baseball for a year.

They literally came pretty close to saying it. Buster Olney did call him the "greatest post season pitcher of all time" and the "greatest player at his position" of all time, saying closer was the only position where there's zero debate about who's the best.

And yeah, when Jeter retires. Fuuuuk.

I listened to the first few episodes and it was awful. I quickly unsubscribed. Keith Law apparently is having a podcast coming out tomorrow though.

I really dug Eric Karabel and Klaw/Mark Simon rotating.

Zep

Banned
I just remembered the Braves are supposed to be good this year. That means 3x more "huddy" dicksucking coming from Karros and Joe Buck during Fox games.

Friggz

I don't give a shit what Kuroda did in Japan.

If you compare the last 5 years of Dickey to Kuroda ... they come out pretty even statwise ... except in the last 3 years Dickey is >>>> Kuroda. I'm a fan of neither of them.

Just look at their ERA+, FIP, whatever numbers. Dickey today isn't the same Dickey from 5 years ago.

Both 37 years of age .... I'd go with a knuckleballer over a standard pitcher at that age. I do think Dickey will be hit around harder in the AL though.

DIckey has a 129 to 120 advantage in ERA+, and he can thank a 140 ERA + lat year for that. 129 is too close to 120 to give him a >>>>>>> advantage.

Looking at the numbers the last 3 years they are even more than anything.

Kuroda has the advantage in k%, bb% and xfip over the last 3 seasons. as well as inning advantage (2IP)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So im starting to give in to the idea of Chapman being a starter. Just dont think he will go more than about four innings.

Enron

Banned
Both are flash in the pan old pitchers. Dickey only gets so much love because of the season he had last year. Give me 4 more similar seasons and we will reopen the talks...this is to those arguing that one is better than the other. Both are old and have had below average short careers. Too may players have been similar seasons through out the years so why even argue who's better? In 5 years you won't remember them anyway. Jack McDowell who?

Im not a fan of RA Dickey, but clearly you haven't looked at any, oh, I don't know, NUMBERS or anything. 3 years worth of good production is NOT a "flash in the pan"

RA Dickey has been a pretty good pitcher the last 3 years, with one of those years being FANTASTIC. The two before that were damn good as well. If he were on a team that wasn't scraping the bottom of its division you wouldn't hesitate for a second to say Dickey > Kuroda.

In other news, Zack Grienke shut down/sent back to LA to the team docs to look at his elbow soreness. Uh oh.

Fatalah

I didn't know whether to post this in Android-GAF or here, but I figured the baseball diehards would know.

What's a good simple Android baseball game? I'd love to play something along the lines of Tommy Lasorda baseball. My phone is a bit old now, it can't handle crazy graphics.

BFIB

"When was the last time in 15 years the Yankees picked up someone not good enough to make the Indians?"

Did he forget they also signed the corpse of Travis Hafner?

Top Bottom