• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

PR...Domincan...Same thing.

someone's getting shivved.

So youre saying Dickey career > kuroda career?

dude, I appreciate the Herculean task you are attempting but... no. just... no.

I'm catching up on the Baseball Tonight podcast and wow. Mariano Rivera's victory lap is just going to be a season long ongoing blowjob from the journalists, huh? Good God.

I know I said i'd move to KC for Google fiber but lay off Mariano ok? he deserves it.

HE MIGHT BE THE GREATEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY BASEBALL. Just wait until Jeter announces his retirement. I'll probably skip watching baseball for a year.

well with the Twins would you be missing much?

Zep

Banned
MLB Yahoo trolling:

DHrLQM1.png

Booties

Banned
Went down to Virginia for the weekend. My GF's 8 year old cousin is starting baseball and his assistant coach was telling his parents about how they rate their offense and defense on a scale from 1-5 (number of 'tools') and then have a draft to have equally strong teams.

How can I take advantage of this and just moneyball myself to a little league baseball gambling scam?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Went down to Virginia for the weekend. My GF's 8 year old cousin is starting baseball and his assistant coach was telling his parents about how they rate their offense and defense on a scale from 1-5 (number of 'tools') and then have a draft to have equally strong teams.

How can I take advantage of this and just moneyball myself to a little league baseball gambling scam?
Give them PEDs.

PEDs and get Tommy John surgery out of the way for the pitchers.

Syrinx

Yeah elbow inflammation is just Tommy John surgery waiting to happen. Can't believe they're gonna let him resume throwing so soon.

cashman

Banned

Just pick the ones that don't look afraid of catching a baseball.

So, looks like Kazmir is probably going to be the 5th starter for the Indians at this rate. Now all we have to do is kick Ubaldo out of the rotation in favor of Dice-K or Trevor Bauer and I'll be happy (well, happier).

"When was the last time in 15 years the Yankees picked up someone not good enough to make the Indians?"

Did he forget they also signed the corpse of Travis Hafner?

Hey, maybe he'll finally get it together for the first time since 2007 :p

eznark

Banned
Astros would be the favorite- in the Pacific Coast League.

I doubt the Astros could even finish .500 in the Japanese baseball.

Not a chance in hell. They'd have better luck in Japan with the larger outfields. PCL is all about fly ball power. Astros are all about punchin' judy prayers.

eznark

Banned
Great article on the ludicrous notion of the closer:

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-closer-you-get.html

WInning percentages when team leads by one run going into the ninth inning:

1960s: .844
1970s: .850
1980s: .852
1990s: .846
2000s: .848

And … yeah, the stat kind of pops like wet firecrackers. Not a lot to see here. Apparently, the win percentage when teams are up one entering the ninth leading doesn't change much no matter what managers do. It was .850 in the 1970s. It was .848 in the 2000s.

Sure, yes, there are many variables here, and if you wanted to do an in-depth study of comebacks you would, as Tom Tango points out, take into consideration the run scoring environment. You would also consider ballparks and many other things. But I wasn't really interested in that. I was really interested in knowing if closers have made it more likely that teams will win games they lead going into the ninth. And the answer, I believe, is no.

eznark

Banned
"Ludicrous" might be embellishing it a bit but the article definitely raises some interesting points. Good article

If anything it is far too soft. There is no such thing as magical closer powers and it turns out that even if such a thing does exist it has no impact.

We already knew bad pitchers pitch bad and good pitchers pitch good, now we know good pitchers forced into an arbitrary role by idiocy have no significant impact on anything.

Jswanko

If anything it is far too soft. There is no such thing as magical closer powers and it turns out that even if such a thing does exist it has no impact.

We already knew bad pitchers pitch bad and good pitchers pitch good, now we know good pitchers forced into an arbitrary role by idiocy have no significant impact on anything.

Personally I agree with you but I just dont think this article is exhaustive by any means. Feels more like a compelling first step in proving that the closer is as overvalued as we think.

The bullpen is for failed starters anyway.

Agreed.

McNei1y

The bullpen is for failed starters anyway.

It most certainly is.

I hate when the higher ups want to convert relievers into starters. I can't tell you how many times the scouts and Rizzo wanted to make our relievers into starters. Perry, Garcia, Storen, etc. I know they had a background as a starter and stuff but I just think it's dumb to convert someone back into a starter after they've "succeeded" as a reliever.

I'm catching up on the Baseball Tonight podcast and wow. Mariano Rivera's victory lap is just going to be a season long ongoing blowjob from the journalists, huh? Good God.

HE MIGHT BE THE GREATEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY BASEBALL. Just wait until Jeter announces his retirement. I'll probably skip watching baseball for a year.

From what people tell me, both are going to rival/surpass the "slow deepthroating" Ripken got when he retired. I wasn't watching baseball then, was it that bad?

bluemax

Banned
----------------------------- W L ERA G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO WP BK WHIP H9 HR9
R.A. Dickey-- 2010-2012 39 28 2.95 94 91 8 4 1 0 617 559 225 202 55 150 468 24 2 1.15 8.15 0.80
Hiroki Kuroda 2010-2012 40 40 3.26 96 96 3 2 0 0 618 581 250 224 64 148 487 37 1 1.18 8.46 0.93

Stats the last three years for reference.

Not a useful stat among those.

Top Bottom