• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

jakncoke

Banned
lol was reading in the paper today how back when jason bay was with the pirates and cliff lee was with the indians, they nearly traded for him and would of had lee apart of the dead. kinda funny.

JABEE

lol was reading in the paper today how back when jason bay was with the pirates and cliff lee was with the indians, they nearly traded for him and would of had lee apart of the dead. kinda funny.

The Phillies got Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco for Jason Donald, Lou Marson and Knapp. It was a steal. The Phillies then went on to dump Lee for a pile of crap.

RBH

Just read about the Marlins trade.

looooooooooollllllllll

The second I read about it, I instantly imagined Sanjuro somewhere out there with the biggest fucking smile on his face.

Baseball has too many teams. This firesale is a disrespect to the game, imo.

How can these fanbases just sit through ownership flipping the switch at such random moments.

I don't understand what is so wrong with it. If the Marlins made it to the playoffs or the World Series and then were sold off piece by piece, I could get the outrage, but this team was terrible, and probably wasn't going to be any better next year. If the Yankees could unload a ton of bad contracts in one spell nobody would be saying they are disrespecting the game, hell the Red Sox just did it and people were praising them. If this was the Phillies finding a taker for Ryan Howard and Cliff Lee would people be asking for Selig to intervene?

I don't understand what is so wrong with it. If the Marlins made it to the playoffs or the World Series and then were sold off piece by piece, I could get the outrage, but this team was terrible, and probably wasn't going to be any better next year. If the Yankees could unload a ton of bad contracts in one spell nobody would be saying they are disrespecting the game, hell the Red Sox just did it and people were praising them. If this was the Phillies finding a taker for Ryan Howard and Cliff Lee would people be asking for Selig to intervene?

The Marlins have been saying for years that if they got a new, taxpayer-funded stadium, they would be big free agent spenders and would significantly increase payroll. They were obviously liars.

How can you even compare The Redsox and The Yankees to The Marlins? Those two organizations have done what ever it takes to win year in and year out. They actually put money back into their team. And just because The Sox unloaded all those contracts doesn't mean they're just going to just to stop spending money on their team.

The Marlins have been saying for years that if they got a new, taxpayer-funded stadium, they would be big free agent spenders and would significantly increase payroll. They were obviously liars.

They did spend money, and it backfired. I think if the team was successful and then in turn, caused people to buy tons of tickets to games, then they probably would have been more likely to keep the team together (though I'm not denying Lauria is scummy, but he ain't the only sports owner who is), but if the team sucks, and nobody is going to watch them, why not suck with a $30 million and try and replenish your farm instead of sucking with a $100 million payroll. From a business standpoint, I don't think there is anything wrong with what the Marlins did. People in Miami weren't going to turn out anyway unless the team was winning 100 games a year. It's a terrible baseball market.

How can you even compare The Redsox and The Yankees to The Marlins? Those two organizations have done what ever it takes to win year in and year out. They actually put money back into their team. And just because The Sox unloaded all those contracts doesn't mean they're just going to just to stop spending money on their team.

Wanna bet? Can't wait til the Red Sox "Big free agent splash!" is signing Mike Napoli for 2 years/$30 million while John Henry lines his pockets and raises more spending money for his wife.

I would be.

The Blue Jays are actually getting $8 million from the Marlins to cover John Buck's entire salary, not just $4 million.

Also, the Marlins announced Adeiny Hechavarria will be the starting shortstop in 2013, not Yunel Escobar.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
They did spend money, and it backfired. I think if the team was successful and then in turn, caused people to buy tons of tickets to games, then they probably would have been more likely to keep the team together (though I'm not denying Lauria is scummy, but he ain't the only sports owner who is), but if the team sucks, and nobody is going to watch them, why not suck with a $30 million and try and replenish your farm instead of sucking with a $100 million payroll. From a business standpoint, I don't think there is anything wrong with what the Marlins did. People in Miami weren't going to turn out anyway unless the team was winning 100 games a year. It's a terrible baseball market.

That's a pretty myopic appreciation of the situation. Look, it's all about perception. When teams like the Red Sox make moves to dump bad contracts, the perception is that it's in an effort to be more competitive. When the Marlins do it, the perception is that it's to skim money out of the franchise and increase the owner's immediate profit margin at the cost of the team's competitiveness.

Sure, what the Marlins are doing sounds like good business practice, if your goal is to make as much money in the short term as possible. The problem is that sports franchises need to work to maintain a perception of wanting to be competitive in order to keep their fanbase engaged over the long term. If you have an ownership group that is only interested in short term profits, then they aren't acting in the best interests of the organization's long term needs. What Miami needs is an ownership group that is willing to invest in creating a positive perception of the franchise, through patience and an appearance of devotion to the idea of a continual winning product, so that they can build long term revenues.

Then again, with the way profit sharing works in baseball, maybe the Marlins don't need a fanbase to maintain long term revenues. So again, it's good business practice. But it's not competitive practice.

Link

The Autumn Wind
And they could have continued doing that while playing in Sun Life Stadium. Instead, Loria decided he needed to fleece the county and taxpayers so he could stuff his pockets even more.

rando14

Damn. Was hoping for a miniscule chance the M's could get torii, but I guess having him out of the division isn't a bad alternative.

The Blue Jays are actually getting $8 million from the Marlins to cover John Buck's entire salary, not just $4 million.

Also, the Marlins announced Adeiny Hechavarria will be the starting shortstop in 2013, not Yunel Escobar.
nSM5Z.gif

I-I-I-I-don-I-I-I don't understan-I-I don-I don't-I-I-I

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Since the creation of the marlins both the redsox and them have won 2 world series

And they could have continued doing that while playing in Sun Life Stadium. Instead, Loria decided he needed to fleece the county and taxpayers so he could stuff his pockets even more.

Then the taxpayers should take their beef up with the politicians who were stupid enough to agree to fund ANY stadium when the team owners have billions sitting in the bank.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Then the taxpayers should take their beef up with the politicians who were stupid enough to agree to fund ANY stadium when the team owners have billions sitting in the bank.
They did. The mayor was recalled and the entire county commission was fired. There's also an ongoing SEC investigation.

Blackace

Is this seriously the only way you know how to judge teams?

Judging teams solely by championships in baseball is something I find to be incredibly silly.

But that's the ultimate goal

That's why you break the bank

That's why are yankees Lakers celtics Steelers are considered some of the greatest franchises ever

Sure there are other measures of success but the marlins have won the world series two times in a fairly short time
Yes that is success

That's why are yankees Lakers celtics Steelers are considered some of the greatest franchises ever

Sure there are other measures of success but the marlins have won the world series two times in a fairly short time
Yes that is success

Imagine how many they would have won if Loria didnt blow the team up after winning before.

cashman

Banned

That's why are yankees Mavericks celtics and Cowboys are considered some of the greatest franchises ever

Yes that is success

Still kind of silly to do it in baseball when the playoffs are such a crapshoot. Those 2 wins by the Marlins are the only two time they've made the playoffs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also the ballots are great.

The LA writers totally shafted Verlander because they know Cabrera is going to steal the MVP from Trout. Hilarious and awesome.

Blackace

Still kind of silly to do it in baseball when the playoffs are such a crapshoot. Those 2 wins by the Marlins are the only two time they've made the playoffs.
Then they 100 percent in closing out the post season

Yo I don't like or really agree with the strategy

But they have had some success with it

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Yes that is success

Yes, but the problem is that the people in charge of the Marlins are directly signalling their priority isn't winning. Their priority is maximizing their profit margin, even at the cost of being competitive. That's how they have operated for years. It's why they are considered among the worst franchises ever.

rekameohs

Banned
It's really too bad that Pujols didn't take the Marlins option last year. I'd love to see what would be happening with that right now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Also, fuck you ESPN. You hype that you'll be showing results live for the past hour, and then you miss it.

Top Bottom