• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
They got bars in every city that has an MLB team, and if a guy has hundreds of millions of dollars he can get booze and heroin even if he's living in Bumfuck, North Dakota.
As someone who has been in Bumfuck, ND on many occasions, I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier to get the sauce there. There is often literally nothing else to do.

MLB owners sharing Hyatt Regency in Chicago with something called the Midwest Furfest, which bills itself as fete of anthropomorphic animals

Loria has the perfect means to dodge the media today.

Didn't this happen a few years ago, too? I vaguely remember there being some stories about it.

FAKE EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong. The Brewers stayed at a hotel hosting the convention, which resulted in this picture:

euckerfurry.jpg

Yep, Bob Uecker with a furry.

He's taking the Marlin fans' "feelings" into consideration. Fuck that.

It'd be amazing if he actually did veto the deal because at this point it's completely pointless. The damage is done already; fans will not return in significant numbers unless Loria sells the team and is never heard from again.

RBH

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig says he is examining the pending blockbuster trade between the Miami Marlins and Toronto Blue Jays and is aware of the fan anger in South Florida.

Speaking at the conclusion of the owners' meetings, Selig said Thursday the trade hasn't officially been presented to him. But he said the matter is under review and he talked to two independent baseball people who feel the Marlins did well in the proposed swap.

Miami has agreed to send All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes and pitchers Mark Buehrle and Josh Johnson to Toronto for a group of the Blue Jays' top prospects. The trade is pending physicals, but many Marlins fans are upset with the deal since the team just moved into a new publicly financed ballpark.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...-pending-miami-marlins-toronto-blue-jays-deal

ZeroRay

The other owners are probably pressuring the fuck out of Selig, as they should.

What's to stop Loria from just dismantling this team piece by piece if the trade doesn't go through? Plus things aren't gonna be the same after this in regards to player and fan morale.

Only solution really is to block the trade and strip Loria of ownership by buying the team from him, which just might be his long-game.

McNei1y

The other owners are probably pressuring the fuck out of Selig, as they should.

What's to stop Loria from just dismantling this team piece by piece if the trade doesn't go through? Plus things aren't gonna be the same after this in regards to player and fan morale.

Only solution really is to block the trade and strip Loria of ownership by buying the team from him, which just might be his long-game.

What a crazy twist that would be.

Bob Nightengale is reporting Selig will not veto the trade.

Also, the Marlins clarified earlier comments and said they are moving Yunel Escobar to third base.

BFIB

Sounds like the normal Selig way of doing things. He'll tell the press "I'm disappointed, and am looking into it.", then he does nothing.

WTF is Michael Kay talking about that Mike Trout didn't take his team to the playoffs. Are people forgetting that The Angels finished with a better record than The Tigers? Are they forgetting that The Tigers played in the worst division in baseball this year?

cashman

Banned
WTF is Michael Kay talking about that Mike Trout didn't take his team to the playoffs. Are people forgetting that The Angels finished with a better record than The Tigers? Are they forgetting that The Tigers played in the worst division in baseball this year?

Who had more RBI's and won more playoff games? Get a brain moran

Are The Blue Jays really replacing the turf with grass?

Probably not. Right now, they share the stadium with a CFL football team, the Argonauts, and apparently switching it back and forth between grass and turf would be unfeasible. (Plus I'm not sure how well grass would grow inside a dome that's closed for a significant portion of the year.) It might be more realistic when/if the Argos leave, but right now, switching over is just something management says may happen at some point in the distant future, possibly.

Trout needs to win this. As for the NL MVP race, I'm resigned to the fact that Posey will probably take it. But if the Braun investigation was never leaked, then at least we'd have some suspense. Dude had another killer year underneath the microscope.

Fenix

Probably not. Right now, they share the stadium with a CFL football team, the Argonauts, and apparently switching it back and forth between grass and turf would be unfeasible. (Plus I'm not sure how well grass would grow inside a dome that's closed for a significant portion of the year.) It might be more realistic when/if the Argos leave, but right now, switching over is just something management says may happen at some point in the distant future, possibly.
Important to note that the Argos' lease is up after the Grey Cup. It's still all talk, but if anything will happen, we'll know in a couple of weeks.

Selig gonna Selig brahs. It's been years since he commissioned the A's ballpark report and still no response. He will not veto this trade, Selig, Loria and John Henry conspired to kill the Expos. He's killed before and he will kill again.

BFIB

Can't say Posey was undeserving, but I really wanted Yadi to win.

Got some votes though, so that counts for something.

Top Bottom