• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Link

The Autumn Wind
Best case is something happens to Selig and a new commish comes in and decides to move a struggling team to Montreal since they supported the Epos so well before things fell apart at the end.
They should force Loria to sell the Marlins and then move them to Montreal. Poetic justice.

As a Marlins fan I am happy they are getting out of some awful contracts. I had no problem with the firesale after 97' because they got good prospects in return, but this deal does leave a bad taste.

kingocfs

That's the home alt jersey. They also introduced a road alternate:

Screen-shot-2012-11-14-at-10.25.38-.png

Love this one.

I'd be pissed if I were Jose Reyes too. I was just signed to play for what looked like a competitive team. I would also be guaranteed to live in a party city where the weather is amazing year round.

Now I've just been shipped to a team out of the country and the weather is low. I may not have wanted to go here at all. At least the team looks better than the Marlins.
Yeah Toronto, right? Poor guy might as well be living in Iceland.

As a Marlins fan I am happy they are getting out of some awful contracts. I had no problem with the firesale after 97' because they got good prospects in return, but this deal does leave a bad taste.
What bad contract exacty? Last 2 years of Reyes, Buerhle don't look great but these are hardly contracts that will hurt the Jays. You know AA traded Vernon Wells' entire contract

This is a crazy world we live in when the prospects of the Red Sox are shot down for the prospects of the Blue Jays.
Before this trade, Jays had top 3 system in baseball.

BFIB

Even in quotes, the guy sounds like a certifiable asshole:

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that the trade was justified. "We finished in last place. Figure it out," he said. Loria said he's "absolutely not" selling the Marlins.

Malo

Banned
The jays have been 3rd or 4th place for forever, but now the Rays right now look like their only real competition for the AL east. If your AA, I think you've gotta go all in and take your shot this year since you can't count out the two big money teams for long.
It's almost as if the yankees don't exist.

Even in quotes, the guy sounds like a certifiable asshole:

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that the trade was justified. "We finished in last place. Figure it out," he said. Loria said he's "absolutely not" selling the Marlins.

Lol I love this guy.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bunch of people, including the Braves beat writer, wondering if the Marlins would take Julio Teheran for Giancarlo Stanton.

This is so stupid.

Teheran has shown nothing to make people think hes anything special. Stanton is a 5+ WAR player at the age of 23.

There isn't a single prospect in baseball the Marlins should trade Stanton for. Teheran is god damn laughable.

turnbuckle

This x 1000. How can you expect to lure any talent to your team? Not every team can be as fortunate as the Rays and homegrow a contender, with extremely friendly contracts.

I don't agree with this. If the Marlins give the biggest contract, a free agent can sign on knowing that he'll be traded to a real contender that'll be made even better by himself for some of that team's shovelware and prospects within a year or two and still get paid.

This is so stupid.

Teheran has shown nothing to make people think hes anything special. Stanton is a 5+ WAR player at the age of 23.

There isn't a single prospect in baseball the Marlins should trade Stanton for. Teheran is god damn laughable.

I seriously would trade most of the Phillies farm system for him. No way is any one prospect close to enough.

turnbuckle

Hunter deal is 2/$26 mill. Illich is old and doesn't give a FUCK anymore.

I was afraid of them signing Hunter until I saw the deal. 2/$26 might be a bit of an overpay per year, but the contract is only for 2 seasons and is a substantial upgrade over what we had out there. Even if he provides half the value he gave the Angels over the past 3 seasons it's big upgrade. If Vmart can return with some resemblance to his old self I'll be pretty happy with our lineup. Not threatening 1-9, but no big holes and a bit more speed and contact than what we had a year ago.

I'd be pissed if I were Jose Reyes too. I was just signed to play for what looked like a competitive team. I would also be guaranteed to live in a party city where the weather is amazing year round.

Now I've just been shipped to a team out of the country and the weather is low. I may not have wanted to go here at all. At least the team looks better than the Marlins.

Miami is extremely hot and humid. Cali's weather is just perfect. I'm sure he'll be working out and living in Miami in the off season.

McNei1y

Hey Miami, stop holding Stanton hostage. You've gone this far, just get rid of him. He's your only chance at getting enough farm pieces to possibly fix some of your mess.

Baseball has too many teams. This firesale is a disrespect to the game, imo.

How can these fanbases just sit through ownership flipping the switch at such random moments.

Top Bottom