• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Puddles

Banned
Just wanted to state that I agree with Cabrera's award. WAR is a nice metric, but the MVP isn't the WAR award. I've made the same argument about the NBA: their MVP isn't the PER award. Sabermetrics tell a good story, but it's not the only story.

Just wanted to state that I agree with Cabrera's award. WAR is a nice metric, but the MVP isn't the WAR award. I've made the same argument about the NBA: their MVP isn't the PER award. Sabermetrics tell a good story, but it's not the only story.

Thing is, Trout did every single thing a baseball player is asked to do well. The vote not even being close is crazy, and not making playoffs is a dumb excuse.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Mike Trout is the best defensive player at a premium position. He went 49 for 54 in stolen bases this year. His "traditional" offensive numbers in general are basically equal with Cabrera.

The notion that Mike Trout was a "sabermetrics" pick is honestly just ridiculous. The WAR on sabermetrics is the worst thing going in baseball. It's just utterly mind boggling.

Talon

The notion that Mike Trout was a "sabermetrics" pick is honestly just ridiculous. The WAR on sabermetrics is the worst thing going in baseball. It's just utterly mind boggling.
It's truly stupid as fuck.

"These kids with their fancy numbers jerking off in their mothers' basements!"

Miggy had way more homeruns, hit better, and was a huge part of a team making a great come back to make the playoffs. Trout had a great year as well but Miggy definitely had the better year. Nobody puts any weight into defense or stolen bases, unless you are a Lou Brock or Rickey Henderson type player. You cant even argue that Trouts team had a better record since it was only 1 game. I definitely think Miggy was the more valuable player last year and it doesnt surprise me at all that the vote wasnt close.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Miggy had way more homeruns, hit better, and was a huge part of a team making a great come back to make the playoffs. Trout had a great year as well but Miggy definitely had the better year. Nobody puts any weight into defense or stolen bases, unless you are a Lou Brock or Rickey Henderson type player. You cant even argue that Trouts team had a better record since it was only 1 game. I definitely think Miggy was the more valuable player last year and it doesnt surprise me at all that the vote wasnt close.

Oh this is such a good troll post. Nice. You had me going there for a second.

Lou Brock didn't have a single season in his career as good as Mike Trout when it came to stolen bases.

It shouldnt be about just WAR, I agree with you, but again, make a logical, rational argument that Cabrera was more valuable than Trout. He literally wasn't, Trout was better in nearly every conceivable way and we now have the ability to show this with statistics that matter.

For me it comes down to this, who do I want on my team, Trout or Cabrera? A guy who is athletic, plays defense, and is young, or a fat third baseman who didn't do much in the WS and can't play much defense. This is an easy answer and Trout had one of the best years of a player EVER.

Oh this is such a good troll post. Nice. You had me going there for a second.

Lou Brock didn't have a single season in his career as good as Mike Trout when it came to stolen bases.

LOL you really have no idea what you are talking about. Brock stole 118 bases in 1974, one of many season in which he had more steals then Trout had this year. If you are trying to argue SB%, and no one would actually try to do that, Miggy had a 75% success rate this year.

Puddles

Banned
Mike Trout is the best defensive player at a premium position. He went 49 for 54 in stolen bases this year. His "traditional" offensive numbers in general are basically equal with Cabrera.

Not really. Cabrera slugged 42 points higher and put up an OPS 36 points higher. Not a huge gap in hitting, but Cabrera put up better offensive numbers.

It shouldnt be about just WAR, I agree with you, but again, make a logical, rational argument that Cabrera was more valuable than Trout. He literally wasn't, Trout was better in nearly every conceivable way and we now have the ability to show this with statistics that matter.

Cabrera put up better hitting numbers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
LOL you really have no idea what you are talking about. Brock stole 118 bases in 1974, one of many season in which he had more steals then Trout had this year. If you are trying to argue SB%, and no one would actually try to do that, Miggy had a 75% success rate this year.

Mike Trout was at a 90% clip stealing nearly 50 bases, that is really just incredible shit. Lou Brock never had a season like that. In fact he never played a single full season in his career without getting caught stealing more than a dozen times.

But this isn't about him, to say that what Mike Trout does on defense or what he does on the base paths is irrelevant is so ridiculous. You don't have to be a nerdy stathead to realize those things matter and that Trout is one of the best in the game at those things. Cabrera is not.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
One last note because yeah this is getting tiresome, speed doesn't just play into stolen bases. Miguel Cabrera grounded into 28 double plays this season (which was the most in all of baseball). Trout in only 7.

Taking that into account, ignoring stolen bases and runs created on the base paths (because that is much more than just stolen bases), ignoring defense and runs saved in the field - even though those are things you should obviously not be ignoring in the context of this debate and looking solely at what the guys do strictly inside the batters box you can make the argument that Mike Trout had a better year than Cabrera.

Not really. Cabrera slugged 42 points higher and put up an OPS 36 points higher. Not a huge gap in hitting, but Cabrera put up better offensive numbers.

Cabrera put up better hitting numbers.

Is the gap in their hitting numbers anywhere near the gap by which Trout destroys him in every other way? There is no way you can argue that Trout wasn't the most valuable player in baseball. The only reason Miguel won is because of the triple crown and RBI and playoff narrative. Three things that are completely unimportant. That's the truth.

Puddles

Banned
The double play argument is compelling. I hadn't really considered it before, mainly because I wasn't aware of just how many double plays Cabrera hit into.

The double play argument is compelling. I hadn't really considered it before, mainly because I wasn't aware of just how many double plays Cabrera hit into.

It kind seems like moving the goal posts. No ever brought up stolen base % or # of double plays before. MVP almost always goes to the guy with the best offensive numbers.

Sanjuro

The term you are searching for is "miserly." You have unlimited money, choose to spend none of it because of institutional bankruptcy.

I'm not sure about the "unlimited" part. We're still not the Yankees. I just have no idea how they are going to get back into the top three payroll-tier without making some terrible decisions.

I'm scared.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm not sure about the "unlimited" part. We're still not the Yankees. I just have no idea how they are going to get back into the top three payroll-tier without making some terrible decisions.

I'm scared.
josh hamiltion 10/400

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wow. Fuck the Blue Jays.

That is highway robbery. Ryan Braun was enough proof that steroids don't do jack shit
as long as you keep doing them and don't get caught again

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Performance enhancing drug users are seriously the biggest market inefficiency in baseball. Can't believe the steal the Jays are getting here.

calder

How many roiders does that make on the Jays? Encarnacion, Bautista, Melky...who am i missing?

Don't forget the Man in White, who is almost certainly jacked out of his mind on speed and PCP in order to relay tipped pitches as soon as humanly possible to the Jays batters. It's a goddamn travesty is what it is. :(

Top Bottom