• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

The funniest story to come of this is that Mark Buehrle's pet pitbull is also illegal in the Ontario province (they are also banned in Miami-Dade County).

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm not gonna feel sorry for them because it's their own damn fault for trusting the Marlins. Pujols had the right idea. "No no-trade clause? Fuck you guys!"

The funniest story to come of this is that Mark Buehrle's pet pitbull is also illegal in the Ontario province (they are also banned in Miami-Dade County).

Ontario is stupid when it comes to pit bull laws. I think you are allowed to own one if you muzzle it? I had a half pit bull and one time they told us we had to muzzle it, but i never did. She never harmed a human.

EDIT. Just read the star article on Buehrle's dog and it appears pit bulls are allowed in ontario if they were here before 2005. So my story now is moot :(

rekameohs

Banned
lol, I love reading the Marlins twitter and seeing pissed off followers replying to every single post, even random posts about a soccer match at Marlins Park.

@Marlins said:
In observance of the Veterans Day holiday, we thank each & every veteran who served this great country! #MilitaryMonday #ThankYou #USA

@G_Austin said:
@Marlins why not thank us by selling the team please!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think you've got it somewhat backwards. Park effects aren't trying to say "what are the results when you subtract the stadium," they're trying to say "what effects, if any, did the park have on batters." Slight semantic difference, but it's important. A stadium's dimensions will have real demonstrable effects on different types of batters. It's useful information to have simply by its nature of being more information.

Admittedly the science isn't perfect, but our goals should be to improve the data we have to work with rather than to ignore data due to potential imperfections.

I don't mind looking at the data and it is important for teams to have when scouting free agents but to determine if someone had a good offensive season? not so much

Sharp

I don't mind looking at the data and it is important for teams to have when scouting free agents but to determine if someone had a good offensive season? not so much
Let's be honest, Blackace, if Cabrera hit a couple fewer home runs Trout would have won MVP. People were just waiting to see if he'd get the Triple Crown. If he hadn't, voters would definitely have taken Trout's superior defense and baserunning into account (which they do all the time--catchers, CFs, etc. have a history of getting MVPs while hitting worse, sometimes a lot worse, than corner infielders). Voters usually don't take into account how well you actually play your position, just what it is and your "defensive reputation" but by both those nebulous non-stats Trout handily owns Cabrera.

eznark

Banned

So...then what are teams looking at data to determine when signing free agents if not performance?

Also, without data how can you claim the right guy won. If we don't look at stats there is no such thing as the triple crown.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Ontario is stupid when it comes to pit bull laws. I think you are allowed to own one if you muzzle it? I had a half pit bull and one time they told us we had to muzzle it, but i never did. She never harmed a human.

EDIT. Just read the star article on Buehrle's dog and it appears pit bulls are allowed in ontario if they were here before 2005. So my story now is moot :(

All Pitbull laws are stupid. The breed of dog is not inherently evil or violent, it's just what the trainers decide to do with the dog. Even then still, it's a very peaceful dog. Unless the ban on Pitbull is actually for....

vWukX.jpg

Then yeah, muzzle it.

rinse82

Reyes and Buerhle should've known better.

"We're not going to trade you, BUT, we're not going to give you a no-trade clause either"

So its New Zealand vs. Chinese Taipei for a place in WBC 2013 tomorrow. Also Barry Larkin managed Brazil over a win over Qualifier host Panama. Brazil's only major leaguer is Yan Gomes. Panama had Carlos Lee, Carlos Ruiz, Ruben Tejada and Ramiro Mendoza. Edgar Renteria led Colombia over Nicargua. Two games today on worldbaseballclassic.com. Bra vs. Col. Pan vs. Nic

Felix isn't getting traded unless he ever makes it absolutely clear to the M's organization that he is not willing to re-sign with them. People need to get this through their head already.

Do you honestly think hes not going to test Free Agency in 2 years though? He may have every intention of reupping, but hes an idiot to not go to free agency as there is no way he doesn't sign the highest contract for a starter in history.

All I am saying is it would smart to entertain a trade now when your return would be higher, then to turn around and do the same thing in the final year of his contract and you still have your shot to sign him in free agency. Buerhle gives you 200 plus innings and is a good clubhouse mentor, JPA is a +batter -catcher like montero but gives you a DH/C platoon as good as anyone, and if you can swing to get a guy like Gose you have your potential franchise CF. The Jays may not have what it takes to get him, but to take him off the market entirely because he "may" want to resign is ridiculous.

Pitching is the M's strong point, I don't see why you keep a guy like Felix around so he can dominate to the tune of 13-9 record again. The Halladay trade is the exact model of how 1 guy can nearly turn the entire fortunes of a franchise around. He may sell tickets, but no more then if they start to actually win ball games.

turnbuckle

Touche. I just went with the first ridiculous baseball award that popped in my head. Still, no shortages of hilariously bad MVP winners before this season.

Trout clearly deserved the MVP, but the gold glove awards are on another level of awful. With Cabrera winning the MVP you could come up with some terrible narrative to try justifying it, but it's goddamned criminal that Trout was outvoted for gold glove.

rinse82

[KoRp]Jazzman;44445015 said:
Do you honestly think hes not going to test Free Agency in 2 years though? He may have every intention of reupping, but hes an idiot to not go to free agency as there is no way he doesn't sign the highest contract for a starter in history.

All I am saying is it would smart to entertain a trade now when your return would be higher, then to turn around and do the same thing in the final year of his contract and you still have your shot to sign him in free agency. Buerhle gives you 200 plus innings and is a good clubhouse mentor, JPA is a +batter -catcher like montero but gives you a DH/C platoon as good as anyone, and if you can swing to get a guy like Gose you have your potential franchise CF. The Jays may not have what it takes to get him, but to take him off the market entirely because he "may" want to resign is ridiculous.

Pitching is the M's strong point, I don't see why you keep a guy like Felix around so he can dominate to the tune of 13-9 record again. The Halladay trade is the exact model of how 1 guy can nearly turn the entire fortunes of a franchise around. He may sell tickets, but no more then if they start to actually win ball games.

I dont think there's any way Jays could get Felix without giving up one of Sanchez or Syndegaard at the minimum

clemenx

Banned
The Brazilian team is full of Japanese last names!

The Spanish team is the worst in this regard. Like half the team is actually Venezuelan, lol.

Edgar Renteria and Colombia will play Panama led by Ruben Tejada, Carlos Ruiz and Carlos Lee for a spot in the Qualifying Finals vs. Brazil. game live at worldbaseballclassic.com

Blackace

Let's be honest, Blackace, if Cabrera hit a couple fewer home runs Trout would have won MVP. People were just waiting to see if he'd get the Triple Crown. If he hadn't, voters would definitely have taken Trout's superior defense and baserunning into account (which they do all the time--catchers, CFs, etc. have a history of getting MVPs while hitting worse, sometimes a lot worse, than corner infielders). Voters usually don't take into account how well you actually play your position, just what it is and your "defensive reputation" but by both those nebulous non-stats Trout handily owns Cabrera.

Let's be honest.. So what? If he didn't lead the league in average or RBIs he wouldn't have won also. Be he did.

Trying to discredit his acclompishments by claiming the parks he played in is silly...

Blackace

So...then what are teams looking at data to determine when signing free agents if not performance?

Also, without data how can you claim the right guy won. If we don't look at stats there is no such thing as the triple crown.

Did I say throw stats completely out the window? Nope I didn't... All I said is relying certain saber stats isnt the only way.

There are the stats of the game such as how many steals, RBIs and what not a player has and then there are stats that attempt to take all the stats and make a magically number that explains a player's worth.. And while very, very useful and at times accurate, it doesn't beat watching the players perform or the raw stats of the game IMO..

I like a balance of both, not only one way or the other

eznark

Banned
I'd like to be kind and say ignoring important factors such as parks and opponents is silly, but in reality it's simply lazy and stubborn ignorance.

turnbuckle

Did I say throw stats completely out the window? Nope I didn't... All I said is relying certain saber stats isnt the only way.

I don't think anyone here is saying that Sabermetrics tell the complete and only story. I don't think anyone is saying we should rename the award to WARrior of the year, either. If the difference in value between Trout and Cabrera was closer (say, within 1.5 WAR) then a better argument could be made for giving Cabrera a nod. An argument such as "Although WAR is based on real numbers, it's still theoretical and its tabulation may lean too heavy towards defense". But in the case of Trout and Cabrera, the only thing that strongly favors Cabrera is the extra base power and strikeout/walk ratio. Trout's offensive numbers alone are worth MVP consideration, but his incredible speed and superlative defense tilts the scales in his favor. Cabrera is slower than a welfare Republican and his defense more unstable than Dick Cheney's heart.

There are the stats of the game such as how many steals, RBIs and what not a player has and then there are stats that attempt to take all the stats and make a magically number that explains a player's worth.. And while very, very useful and at times accurate, it doesn't beat watching the players perform or the raw stats of the game IMO..

I like a balance of both, not only one way or the other

Not magical. I agree that WAR can't be everything and players need to pass the "eye test", but there's nothing magical about WAR. There's certainly a subjective component to it, but then that's always the case for every stat when put under the microscope for determining an MVP and overall player's value. It really isn't all that different in theory than the models Nate Silver uses to predict election results.

And if I were to judge a player's value by "watching him", Mike Trout would have made an even better case than he did. I watched 2 Angels games (in Detroit) this season and 4 Tigers games overall in person. On TV, I probably watched 3-4 more Angels games and another 30ish Tigers games. This doesn't make me any more right or wrong than others on the subject, but I had to mention that because it seemed like you were implying that Trout wasn't as worthy as Cabrera to the naked eye.

At the end of the day - as a fan of the Tigers I'm happy Cabrera won. Especially after Verlander was robbed of the Cy the day before.

As a baseball fan and fan of out-of-this-world talent like Trout, I'm disappointed he was snubbed.

Top Bottom