• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

cashman

Banned
Did I say throw stats completely out the window? Nope I didn't... All I said is relying certain saber stats isnt the only way.

There are the stats of the game such as how many steals, RBIs and what not a player has and then there are stats that attempt to take all the stats and make a magically number that explains a player's worth.. And while very, very useful and at times accurate, it doesn't beat watching the players perform or the raw stats of the game IMO..

I like a balance of both, not only one way or the other
If you're not willing to recognize the usefulness of WAR, you should at least know that RBIs are an absolutely useless stat and should not be considered when determining a players value.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
good stuff
50% off MLB Hoodies with code MLB50

http://m.slickdeals.net/?sdpid=5493...0-000,default,sc.html?srule=price-low-to-high

Most of them look pretty standard and slick. Usually these deals have the terrible designs nobody wants to buy.

Old school Brewers and Twinkees look the best.
no braves. chipperheadshake.gif

Commissioner H. Allan "Bud" Selig said:
After a thorough examination of this information, it is my conclusion that this transaction, involving established Major Leaguers and highly regarded young players and prospects, represents the exercise of plausible baseball judgment on the part of both clubs, does not violate any express rule of Major League Baseball and does not otherwise warrant the exercise of any of my powers to prevent its completion.

I am sensitive to the concerns of the fans of Miami regarding this trade, and I understand the reactions I have heard since Tuesday. Baseball is a social institution with important social responsibilities and I fully understand that the Miami community has done its part to put the Marlins into a position to succeed with beautiful new Marlins Park. Going forward, I will continue to monitor this situation with the expectation that the Marlins will take into account the sentiments of their fans, who deserve the best efforts and considered judgment of their Club. I have received assurances from the ownership of the Marlins that they share these beliefs and are fully committed to build a long-term winning team that their fans can be proud of.

Deal is official.

BLUE JAYS GET:
-- $8 million in cash considerations
-- IF/OF Emilio Bonafacio
-- C John Buck
-- LHP Mark Buehrle
-- RHP Josh Johnson
-- SS Jose Reyes

MARLINS GET:
-- RHP Henderson Alvarez
-- RHP Anthony DeSclafani
-- SS Yunel Escobar
-- IF Adeiny Hechavarria
-- OF Jake Marisnick
-- C Jeff Mathis
-- LHP Justin Nicolino

Full statement from Selig on the trade:

After a thorough examination of this information, it is my conclusion that this transaction, involving established Major Leaguers and highly regarded young players and prospects, represents the exercise of plausible baseball judgment on the part of both clubs, does not violate any express rule of Major League Baseball and does not otherwise warrant the exercise of any of my powers to prevent its completion.

I am sensitive to the concerns of the fans of Miami regarding this trade, and I understand the reactions I have heard since Tuesday. Baseball is a social institution with important social responsibilities and I fully understand that the Miami community has done its part to put the Marlins into a position to succeed with beautiful new Marlins Park. Going forward, I will continue to monitor this situation with the expectation that the Marlins will take into account the sentiments of their fans, who deserve the best efforts and considered judgment of their Club. I have received assurances from the ownership of the Marlins that they share these beliefs and are fully committed to build a long-term winning team that their fans can be proud of.

turnbuckle

Thanks for link, Sanj. Just purchased a Tigers pullover. Thought the zippered one looked nice, but read a review that it was kinda chintzy.

Blearth

Banned
50% off MLB Hoodies with code MLB50

http://m.slickdeals.net/?sdpid=5493...0-000,default,sc.html?srule=price-low-to-high

Most of them look pretty standard and slick. Usually these deals have the terrible designs nobody wants to buy.

Old school Brewers and Twinkees look the best.

zoom94065sfgchr.jpg

Bought! :D

Thanks for the heads up, Sanjuro!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Same here. Should go well with Mets knit cap i bought from mlb.com yesterday.
You know, I'm looking at the charcoal colored zip-up now, and I'm leaning toward buying that one too.

Though being in South Florida, I'm not going to have many opportunities to wear these.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
If you're not willing to recognize the usefulness of WAR, you should at least know that RBIs are an absolutely useless stat and should not be considered when determining a players value.

lol I completely disagree

Cabrera willed those brahs on base and protected them in the lineup.

Now I'm just picturing him in the dugout squinting REALLY hard at a ball headed towards the gap. "YES! I am fully responsible for this runner and any before him!"

RBI-Gate started here over two years ago and is still going strong. Supporters of the GOAT Ryan Howard, thank you for the endless entertainment.

Brazil wins!! the field is set for the WBC 2013!! nice job by Larkin, had his team playing the right way, upsetting Colombia and Panama.

clemenx

Banned
Reading baseball tweets in portuguese feels like a bizarro world, love this! Awesome upset.

Barry Larkin is a wizard.

"World Baseball Classic" Trending in Brazil. They're huge twitter users over there. Awesome :)

Top Bottom