• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Thanks for the hoodie link. I was able to pick a Marlins one. I probably could have waited a few days and pick one up for $10, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB

According to @elliottbaseball the #BlueJays will announce John Gibbons as their new manager in less than nine hours.

WHAT the

I have no problem with the Marlins-Jays trade. Josh Johnson is the only player that I would miss, but he can't stay healthy. The Marlins tried to make a big splash and it backfired. When you spend that kind of money and still lose 93 games, it is time to blow it up and start over. There are not many teams that get the chance to do that or in this case 3 chances.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I have no problem with the Marlins-Jays trade. Josh Johnson is the only player that I would miss, but he can't stay healthy. The Marlins tried to make a big splash and it backfired. When you spend that kind of money and still lose 93 games, it is time to blow it up and start over. There are not many teams that get the chance to do that or in this case 3 chances.
Someone doesn't live in Miami-Dade County.

EDIT - To elaborate further, blowing up the team was bad enough after the stadium fiasco, but what makes it worse is everyone on the planet knows that they won't be reloading on free agents. They'll be perfectly content keeping the payroll under $30 million and pocketing all that extra money. The only difference now from before is they'll collect even more now that they own the stadium.

Quick

Banned
Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB

According to @elliottbaseball the #BlueJays will announce John Gibbons as their new manager in less than nine hours.

WHAT the

i2bNpDf4l4yHb.gif

Someone doesn't live in Miami-Dade County.

EDIT - To elaborate further, blowing up the team was bad enough after the stadium fiasco, but what makes it worse is everyone on the planet knows that they won't be reloading on free agents. They'll be perfectly content keeping the payroll under $30 million and pocketing all that extra money. The only difference now from before is they'll collect even more now that they own the stadium.

I don't live in Miami-Dade County. I am talking strictly about the trade and I think the Marlins will be better off. Miami-Dade County did get hoodwinked into building a new stadium for a horrible owner. I am sure they heard the stories about Loria, and yet they agreed to build a stadium for him.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't live in Miami-Dade County. I am talking strictly about the trade and I think the Marlins will be better off. Miami-Dade County did get hoodwinked into building a new stadium for a horrible owner. I am sure they heard the stories about Loria, and yet they agreed to build a stadium for him.
"Better off" is relative. Finishing with a better record than 69-93 isn't that difficult, but it doesn't mean they'll be a good team either. And management knows that, and are carefully wording their statements around improving on last year's win total.

The Marlins have tried this low payroll, young guns approach for the past few years, with the same results every time. The biggest issue is they never change their front office. The Oakland A's they are not. They missed on pretty much every prospect they brought in after their last fire sale. Look at how the Miguel Cabrera trade worked out for them. They literally ended up with nothing.

It's always been the same. Their farm system has actually produced a lot of amazing talent, but as soon as it comes time for them to actually get paid any real money, the front office ships them out of town and the cycle begins anew.

As for the residents of Miami-Dade, no one wanted to fund that stadium. You can thank a mayor and city commission that have now all been swept out of office and are the focus of an ongoing SEC investigation. They're now all stuck watching Loria and company rake in more money than ever while happily fielding a team that has no shot of accomplishing anything.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
if the marlins had no plans to resign Johnson then they could be better off. Smart to dump those contracts, especially Buehrle. Depends on if the talent they received pans out I guess. (obviously)

As a Baseball move, the trade is fine. The problem with it is that its a huge Fuck You to the fans.

Fox318

if the marlins had no plans to resign Johnson then they could be better off. Smart to dump those contracts, especially Buehrle. Depends on if the talent they received pans out I guess. (obviously)

As a Baseball move, the trade is fine. The problem with it is that its a huge Fuck You to the fans.

Well I sure hope both of the fans show their anger and boycott the games.

"Better off" is relative. Finishing with a better record than 69-93 isn't that difficult, but it doesn't mean they'll be a good team either. And management knows that, and are carefully wording their statements around improving on last year's win total.

The Marlins have tried this low payroll, young guns approach for the past few years, with the same results every time. The biggest issue is they never change their front office. The Oakland A's they are not. They missed on pretty much every prospect they brought in after their last fire sale. Look at how the Miguel Cabrera trade worked out for them. They literally ended up with nothing.

It's always been the same. Their farm system has actually produced a lot of amazing talent, but as soon as it comes time for them to actually get paid any real money, the front office ships them out of town and the cycle begins anew.

As for the residents of Miami-Dade, no one wanted to fund that stadium. You can thank a mayor and city commission that have now all been swept out of office and are the focus of an ongoing SEC investigation. They're now all stuck watching Loria and company rake in more money than ever while happily fielding a team that has no shot of accomplishing anything.

The front office certainly hasn't been the same since Dombrowski left. I do think there will be enough pressure placed on Loria by the fans (not that he cares about what they think) and other owners to spend more money. They obviously won't ever come close to the $100 million+ they spent this year. Sadly, they will now have to overpay for any big name free agent and .

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Gibbons is a weird hire since the Jays had just fired him 4 years ago but honestly not bad. Obviously when the team is losing the manager will take the brunt of the blame for it and at the time I think most Jays fans wanted him fired since the Jays had spent some money and made some trades but couldn't really get past 3rd place and also because of the fights with Hillenbrand and Lilly. But in retrospect he honestly wasn't that bad. He platooned, he didn't bunt, he used his relievers effectively, he defends his players and his players in turn like him even Lilly still likes him, he handles the media well, and for the most part he did not put out stupid lineups like old Cito and Farrell. Honestly that is all you can ask for from a manager.

Fenix

Gibbons is a weird hire since the Jays had just fired him 4 years ago but honestly not bad. Obviously when the team is losing the manager will take the brunt of the blame for it and at the time I think most Jays fans wanted him fired since the Jays had spent some money and made some trades but couldn't really get past 3rd place and also because of the fights with Hillenbrand and Lilly. But in retrospect he honestly wasn't that bad. He platooned, he didn't bunt, he used his relievers effectively, he defends his players and his players in turn like him even Lilly still likes him, he handles the media well, and for the most part he did not put out stupid lineups like old Cito and Farrell. Honestly that is all you can ask for from a manager.

Yup, Gibbons was pretty awesome. Love it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Pretty much how I feel.

My Facebook feed is going wild right now with how angry people are about this.

Brinbe

No doubt, Gibby's a way better manager than Farrell (not that highest bar to clear), and he was definitely unfairly scapegoated, I just wanted a fresh face I guess. Oh well, can't do anything about it now, I just hope his second go-around is a success. =)

And reminder that the presser is starting up @ 9:30, so about 50 mins from now. Should be some viewing links up by then. So excited!

Nobility

Banned
Did not consider Gibbons as manager but I guess a wait and see approach is fine for now, should be interesting come opening day.

News corp just bought 49% of YES network, the part the Yankees didn't own.

More fox news business updates.

Think the old nets owner and Goldman owned the other 49% before

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Royals are so desperate for pitching they just locked up Guthrie to 3 years and people are calling it a good move. Hilarious.

Feel bad for Royals fans. Dayton Moore fucked it all up. Still is.

News corp just bought 49% of YES network, the part the Yankees didn't own.

More fox news business updates.

Think the old nets owner and Goldman owned the other 49% before

Ugh, really?

If News Corp as it is currently constructed/as it currently fits into American/world society ever becomes the full owners of the Yankees, I can't in good conscience continue my fandom of them.

Mariners trade Trayvon Robinson (OF) to Baltimore for Robert Andino (IF). Robinson is a speedy outfielder who can't really hit and has a bad throwing arm but has decent defense and potential. Andino is a utility infielder who has good defense and can't really hit.
It gives the Mariners a new backup infielder, which they didn't have previously.

calder

I'm not really down with Gibson coming back. Didn't like him last time, wasn't exactly missing him when he left. It's not like he was dominating the minors or anything (with the caveat of course that managers aren't in the minors to win games but develop players)... weird pick it seems. :|

Carlbeego

Mariners trade Trayvon Robinson (OF) to Baltimore for Robert Andino (IF). Robinson is a speedy outfielder who can't really hit and has a bad throwing arm but has decent defense and potential. Andino is a utility infielder who has good defense and can't really hit.
It gives the Mariners a new backup infielder, which they didn't have previously.

Boston fans are happy as hell right now.

Smart move for the M's, we've needed a capable backup infielder and Trayvon isn't a high price at all to pay for that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
3/25 is market value for him (aka a slightly below avg. AL starter). The economics of baseball are fucked up though.

Smart move for the M's, we've needed a capable backup infielder and Trayvon isn't a high price at all to pay for that.

Don't talk to the idiots commenting on the Mariners' announcement. They're all frothing at the mouth with "We traded Adam Jones again!!11oij" "Jack Z is a moran!!" and other such nonsense. It's ridiculous. I sometimes wonder how these people can call themselves fans of the team with all the vitriol they spew at it.

Top Bottom