• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

I have to imagine that Bonds will get in eventually. No way he does it this year though.

ibtV2moE02GfvK.gif

bluemax

Banned
You guys laughing at the contract need to remember that the Braves are paying him market value to be a 3 win player per year, which is what he has averaged in his career. He plays solid to above average defense at a premium position, he's an excellent baserunner, he hits for power, and outside of last year, he's been pretty good at drawing walks too. He's in the prime years of an average aging curve, and he oddly still has room to improve. It's a long contract with some risk, but considering the options available, it's a pretty good move.

Like people here understand AAV.

Screw the cheaters. I hope they never get voted in.

How do you feel about noted cheater Jon Wooden?

Marlins are determined to re-unite that 2003 World Series team. First they sign Juan Pierre. Now, they are in heavy talks with Carl Pavano.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nah it's still cheating. And if even one person wasn't doing it, your argument falls apart.

Its not cheating when everybody was compliant in the act. The players, MLB, team ownership and management who put team doctors and trainers in place to give out roids, agents, the media and of course the fans all knew about it. There was no program in place, there was no punishment to deter it, for all intents and purposes it was part of the game.

I honestly don't feel comfortable saying anybody from the 90s was clean. The only players I would discredit are the ones who were actually caught cheating by MLB through the program they have in place now. Ryan Braun can go fuck himself 15 years from now.

But it's seriously a joke that people call Jeff Bagwell a roids user without an iota of proof.

And on top of that, when has cheating not been a part of baseball? As long as they've been playing, players and teams have been looking for loopholes...read any history of the game and you'll see that. And it's not like pharmaceutical enhancement just started in the '90s. Babe Ruth was alleged to have taken sheep testosterone, and I can't imagine that he would've just gotten the idea out of thin air and done it in isolation. Read Ball Four and you'll see how widespread the use of amphetamines was in the '60s by literally everyone -- and that started long before then, and only ended a couple of years ago.

Basically, my view has been: if they cheated in a way that hurt their team (i.e. gambling), then yes, keep them out. Otherwise, if they were doing it to gain a competitive advantage and win more games, I don't see a problem...it's just sports, not life or death.

The hall of fame for good players, not good people. Pete Rose will be inducted into the Hall wearing an Expos cap someday, I guarantee it.

yeah I know that brah never played for them but he stands for what we stand for.

Fenix

The hall of fame for good players, not good people. Pete Rose will be inducted into the Hall wearing an Expos cap someday, I guarantee it.

yeah I know that brah never played for them but he stands for what we stand for.
He did play for the Expos though, 95 games in '84.

Sanjuro

Rocket and Bonds should be in first ballot. No questions asked.

Bagwell is a filthy cheater and should never be allowed in.

BFIB

Now is when the voting gets iffy. McGwire, while an admitted user, I don't think he had the credentials for a first ballot HOF'er.

But Bonds and Clemens certainly do. But there's obvious suspicion of PED use, even though neither ever actually tested positive.

No he got his 4000th hit as an Expo.

Huh. That's what I get for trying to mock someone else's ignorance.

Though now I'm looking at Pete Rose's BRef page...he was a surprisingly passable major leaguer as a 44-year-old. .395 OBP? An OPS+ of 99? No power, of course, but I'm shocked to see he wasn't a complete black hole.

I guess that means the Nationals aren't bringing Adam LaRoche back next year. Acquiring Denard Span means that will move Bryce Harper to LF and Mike Morse to 1B.

And another team for Michael Bourn is off the board.

jakncoke

Banned
Would you rather stick with Barajas and Fort, giving up 90% of attempted steals in the process?

Id just rather not spend that much money on someone who cant hit and i dont know him but in the article i was reading the news, said his defense has gotten worse over the years.

The Yankees are close to an agreement with Mariano Rivera on a 1-year, $10 million deal.

That will be $37 million in 2013 devoted to Kuroda, Pettitte, and Rivera.

Top Bottom