• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Malo

Banned
So is yours.

I wouldn't be surprised if Morse was moved in a trade but he'll probably move to 1b with this.
image.php

Is Morse as bad as uzr is making him out to be? He'd be an interesting option for right field.

The Yankees are close to an agreement with Mariano Rivera on a 1-year, $10 million deal.

That will be $37 million in 2013 devoted to Kuroda, Pettitte, and Rivera.
It is a lot, but they're all on one year deals and each of them are still producing at a high level.

McNei1y

image.php

Is Morse as bad as uzr is making him out to be? He'd be an interesting option for right field.

Aw I missed that avatar quote. That was right down the middle!

Morse is just a lumbering big guy who lacks speed and range. He's better than Dunn in the OF if that helps (but so were a lot of others). He doesn't make terrific plays and people run on him because he takes some time to get to the ball. It's not a nightmare watching him though. You just have to expect that he won't do anything terrific and that he will be mediocre in the field. I think his bat is worth his defense out there.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So does that mean Willingham is on the move next?

Would he possibly DH?
I assume Morneau is next, the Twins don't have quite enough OF depth for that after trading Span, unless Hicks or Arcia goes nuts in ST and starts the season with the major league club.

What a fucking terrible trade. Uggggggh. He's an incredibly underrated player.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'd think a 1 to 1 trade is fine, but for someone so far away? Trading your 2nd or 3rd best player for a lottery ticket? Fuck me.
I dont think he is that far away. He is 22 so he could move fast through the system.

still looks like a shitty trade though.

Malo

Banned
Aw I missed that avatar quote. That was right down the middle!

Morse is just a lumbering big guy who lacks speed and range. He's better than Dunn in the OF if that helps (but so were a lot of others). He doesn't make terrific plays and people run on him because he takes some time to get to the ball. It's not a nightmare watching him though. You just have to expect that he won't do anything terrific and that he will be mediocre in the field. I think his bat is worth his defense out there.
If Gardner is moved to center I'd be more fine with Morse in right since Gardner would cover so much ground. At this point I think I rather have Morse than bringing Ichiro back, having just one outfielder who could hit for power is pretty bad.

I'd think a 1 to 1 trade is fine, but for someone so far away? Trading your 2nd or 3rd best player for a lottery ticket? Fuck me.
Willingham for Phelps.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I dont think he is that far away. He is 22 so he could move fast through the system.

still looks like a shitty trade though.
Haha, not the Twins system!

He's going to start at AA and it's not like they have an embarassment of pitching so maybe things will be different. I doubt they'd call him up next year unless he's tearing things up and/or they're playing way better than expected. 2014 should be interesting with Meyer and Gibson in the rotation and Arcia, Hicks, and maybe Rosario and Sano in the bigs. But ugh.

Fenix

I assume Morneau is next, the Twins don't have quite enough OF depth for that after trading Span, unless Hicks or Arcia goes nuts in ST and starts the season with the major league club.

What a fucking terrible trade. Uggggggh. He's an incredibly underrated player.
Willingham for Sierra. He can play the outfield!

Please?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Willingham for Sierra. He can play the outfield!

Please?
The Twins overvalue plodding corner guys, they'll hold on to Willingham. He seems like he wants to be here, despite the team sucking, and his bat is made for Target Field. I'd much rather have trade him and Revere than Span. I'd be sad to see him leave, too.

Fenix

Why would you want Willingham over Morneau? The former puts EE in the field; the latter keeps him off it.
EE is going to be the full time 1B next season, regardless of whoever is acquired.

Morneau is, at this point in his career, a platoon bat (.569 OPS last year vs. LHP). We already have that guy, he's Adam Lind and he sucks. I'd rather have Willingham's superior bat and lower price tag.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Morneau is, at this point in his career, a platoon bat (.569 OPS last year vs. LHP). We already have that guy, he's Adam Lind and he sucks. I'd rather have Willingham's superior bat and lower price tag.
I'm at work and far too lazy to look up the numbers, but Morneau's numbers (in general, but especially) against LHP were ghastly at the beginning of the year, but were much, much better down the stretch. I'm guessing he'll be closer to that later part of the season than the beginning or even the aggregate.

Honestly, I don't know. Morneau's definitely overpaid at $14 million this year. But I'd hate to see the Twins sell low on him this offseason after nursing him back to relative health over the last two and a half years, only to have him break out for someone else. If they're going to trade him, I'd say do it at the deadline. Someone will need a bat, and someone will pay handsomely for him then. Same with Willingham, honestly. That also gives time to find out if Chrissy Chrissy Parm Parm and Hicks/Arcia will be ready to play next year before trading decent players.

EE is going to be the full time 1B next season, regardless of whoever is acquired.

Lind is even worse than that, though. And Morneau at least has the possibility of being better than he was in 2012...I don't think the same could be said for Lind. As thoroughly average as Morneau was last year, he'd still be an upgrade over Lind, and I think the Jays might have improved sufficiently this offseason that one win here and there makes a difference.

Fenix

Lind is even worse than that, though. And Morneau at least has the possibility of being better than he was in 2012...I don't think the same could be said for Lind. As thoroughly average as Morneau was last year, he'd still be an upgrade over Lind, and I think the Jays might have improved sufficiently this offseason that one win here and there makes a difference.
Lind's 2012 OPS against lefties was .553, not much worse at all. They either need someone to platoon with him or who can completely replace him and I don't think Morneau's that guy.

Fenix

Throw in Heyward and a dozen hot dogs with ketchup on it, and you have a deal.
Really? Surprised at it being a two year deal. I take back what I said earlier, Cash should have matched that offer.

Mind trading us JP arencibia?
Sure, it will cost you more than other teams though.

Edit: I totally forgot Pierzynski was a free agent.

rando14

Why? What the fuck is wrong with GMs? You really have NOBODY in your farm system that can replicate Russell Martin's mediocre production at a fraction of that cost?

It's a winter of desperation. The worse Upton gets 75, Martin making 8.5 per year, and Swisher is probably going to get Werth money somehow. Not to mention all the money that Hamilton's going to collect.

Top Bottom