• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Curt Schilling should get in for sure. If we going guys that have been on the ballot for multiple years, it is a crime that Lee Smith isnt in yet.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2013 HoF Ballot Candidates

Who you think gonna get in?
based on the numbers these are probably the deserving candidates that are on the ballot.
  1. Bonds
  2. Clemens
  3. Schilling
  4. Bagwell
  5. Walker
  6. Piazza
  7. Edgar
  8. Lofton
  9. Biggio
  10. Raines
  11. Palmeiro
  12. Sosa
  13. McGwire
Out of all of those i'd say Biggio has the best shot and then Schilling but I don't think he will get voted in on first ballot.

edit: Piazza I guess will get in on the first ballot.
If we going guys that have been on the ballot for multiple years, it is a crime that Lee Smith isnt in yet.
i think you mean it would be a crime if he were to be voted in.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I'm hoping Biggio and Bagwell go in together, as was meant to be.

Nice. He had a really good year last year and we only gave up a prospect for him. Hopefully this gets things going and we see some big moves out of the Phils now.

I'm hearing two. This is all of course, pending a physical

.http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121128&content_id=40440368&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

He's supposed to be a good, affordable 8th inning solution. He is in his first season of arbitration.

He is good, his stuff can be quite nasty.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
You guys laughing at the contract need to remember that the Braves are paying him market value to be a 3 win player per year, which is what he has averaged in his career. He plays solid to above average defense at a premium position, he's an excellent baserunner, he hits for power, and outside of last year, he's been pretty good at drawing walks too. He's in the prime years of an average aging curve, and he oddly still has room to improve. It's a long contract with some risk, but considering the options available, it's a pretty good move.

If you didn't have a voting body made up primarily of egotistical, judgmental dinosaurs, you'd have the potential for the best induction class ever. If the writers were basing it entirely on baseball performance, you'd have:

- a couple of no-brainer, all-time great inductees (Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mike Piazza)
- several more players who aren't in the running for best ever, but who should easily pass any test for induction (Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Mark McGwire, Tim Raines, Sammy Sosa, Alan Trammell)
- a couple who have very strong arguments for induction, who'd be far from the worst players in the Hall (Kenny Lofton, Edgar Martinez, Larry Walker)
- several more players who would be iffy, but not indefensible, selections (Fred McGriff, Rafael Palmeiro, Curt Schilling, Dale Murphy)
- a couple who don't deserve to be in, but will get support anyway (Lee Smith, Jack Morris, David Wells, Bernie Williams)

By my count, that's about 20 guys who could go in -- including 13 who absolutely deserve it.

Who will go in, though? I'm guessing it'll just be Morris. Biggio might squeak in, but I think he'll have to wait until next year, at least. I'd like to think that Bonds was such a transcendent talent that he'll manage to get in even with the obvious objections, but I very much doubt that'll happen.

And then 2014 will just be a giant mess, since you'll have about a dozen deserving players already on the ballot joined by Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, Mike Mussina and Jeff Kent.

Sanjuro

lgXA1.png

Fuck MLB if he doesn't get into the Hall of Fame.

Nice to see the Braves spend some money, although I think 15 mil/year is pretty steep for someone like Upton.

It's not offensively high or anything though. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Top Bottom