• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Every once in awhile I read the OP and I just feel better about life.

I can't wait for baseball to start, even with the niners doing well.

caingun.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Woot, 2012 WS Champions Blu-ray has arrived from Amazon.
do the new WS Champion Videos have the full games now? My 1995 Braves VHS just has highlights. (there are like 3 or 4 braves games that you can actually buy, its fucking annoying).

Sanjuro

do the new WS Champion Videos have the full games now? My 1995 Braves VHS just has highlights. (there are like 3 or 4 braves games that you can actually buy, its fucking annoying).

I have the individual games from the 2004 ALCS and WS. It's only in 4:3 though, so might as well forget it even happened. If you haven't won a championship in 16:9, you never won.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Those are always separate boxsets, that one should come in sometime in Dec. But yeah. those are full games, I have both the 2010 WS Champion vid and the boxset.

51uTOmNGyJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51u63Co70PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so jealous

i think these are the only braves games (that i would want to watch) that are available:

game 6 95 ws
game 1 95 ds
game 7 92 cs

the others i think are

91 ws game 7
probably 96 ws game 4 or 6
2003 Kerry wood ds
the 18 inning Astros suckfest

Broxton and Reds have agreed to a 3-year deal. Aroldis Chapman moving to the rotation.

Pirates are said to be close on a 3-year deal with Russell Martin.

That article is totally off with its description of the Blue Jays. They have four RSNs with a territory that covers 35 million people. How is that a small or mid-sized market? Heck, even if you just define it down to Toronto/southern Ontario, you're still looking at a population base/TV area of 12 million people.

And yeah, Braves are screwed, especially as long as Liberty Media owns them.

That article is totally off with its description of the Blue Jays. They have four RSNs with a territory that covers 35 million people. How is that a small or mid-sized market? Heck, even if you just define it down to Toronto/southern Ontario, you're still looking at a population base/TV area of 12 million people.

Holy shit at the Brewers only getting 12m per year.

sangreal

$90 million per year seems small compared to the $250 million the Dodgers are getting, its insane how much they're getting.

To be fair, I believe that is just the money going directly to the team for media rights. Yankee Global Enterprises still has an ownership stake in YES, so they should be getting a cut of the network's profits on top of those fees. Even after News Corp takes over 80% in 3 years the Yankees will have a stake.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The complete '91 World Series is available now. I'm not sure exactly how fast they're re-releasing them, but I know they've been slowly but surely putting out sets for older WS. I've got both the '87 & '91 sets.

Malo

Banned
To be fair, I believe that is just the money going directly to the team for media rights. Yankee Global Enterprises still has an ownership stake in YES, so they should be getting a cut of the network's profits on top of those fees. Even after News Corp takes over 80% in 3 years the Yankees will have a stake.
Ah I see. That makes senses. Makes you wonder though if the Yankees didn't have YES and were in the market for a new TV deal, how much they could get.

JABEE

Nice. He had a really good year last year and we only gave up a prospect for him. Hopefully this gets things going and we see some big moves out of the Phils now.
He's supposed to be a good, affordable 8th inning solution. He is in his first season of arbitration.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!

Blue Jays averaged around 600,000 viewers last year so yeah 36 million per year is obviously a very cheap deal for such ratings. The Leafs before they were bought by Rogers and Bell were asking for $1.5 million per game and I believe they get averaged around 800,000 viewers per game last year.

Drek

Because we need a first baseman and historically he delivered at that position?

Napoli's prior season suggests he has nothing to bring to the table for a guy who wants multiple years. Youkilis really has no leverge, only the desire is questionable to come back here.

Swisher is a cancer who can't field. All set.

And the year before last Napoli was one of the best hitters in all of baseball, putting up a 173 OPS+. His three year trend is 115, 173, 110. So even last year when plagued by injuries he still kept himself above water on OPS.

Meanwhile Youks over the last three years has put up OPS+ numbers of 157, 123, and 99. The drop last season wasn't a total shock coming after 2011. His bat speed has all but disappeared. What Youks did historically is irrelevant, he's a broken down player at this point.

If he would take a role player position as the backup 1B/3B/DH he would have a valid role. As an every day player the Red Sox can find someone who isn't aging so precipitously.

Top Bottom