• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

clemenx

Banned
Eh, I may be getting used to the dumb salaries but I see 13M as chump change for someone of Haren's upside. If he's indeed broken then it's just 13M lost for one year, no biggie.

I'll amend my previous statement a touch now that I'm thinking about it a bit more. Other than Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler there isn't a player or combination of players the Mets can assemble that would get them either of Bogaerts or Bradley, let alone both.

Bogaerts at 19 just hit 20 homers in less than 500 ABs between A and AA. His defense is looking more and more capable of playing at SS as he climbs the ranks. He's a top 50 prospect on everyone's list. Jurickson Profar is widely considered the top prospect in all of baseball right now. The differences between him and Bogaerts staying in the DSL instead of playing in low A at 17 like Profar did. Otherwise he's shown a higher peak in AA already, has consistently hit for more power, and consistently puts up a higher BA. He's also statistically a comparable defensive SS with similar range factor and fielding percentage scores.

Jackie Bradley at 22, in only his first season of full time pro ball, crushed high A with over 200 ABs with an OPS over 1.000, then faced AA for another >200 ABs with a 0.809 OPS. He's considered a gold glove caliber defensive CF already. He's also a top 50 guy on everyone's list. Right now the Sox have him all but inked in as the 2014 opening day CF after he rakes AA for ~300 ABs and gets a 100 AB cup of coffee in AAA or MLB late this summer.

The fact that these guys are only top 50 guys right now is due to limited sample size. If they both continue where they left 2012 at for 2013 they'll spend a lot of time in Portland for the Red Sox AA affiliate and likely climb into top 10 status for Bogaerts and top 20 status for Bradley.

Asking for either one in exchange for a rental on Dickey is goofy as hell, asking for both is full blown idiocy.
I think him asking for both was too much and he knows dat. Unless a deal like Wheeler for Beltran comes up, Sandy can say he tried n found no worthy offers. Fans agree n r satisfied either way.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Coolest business card ever. Patrick Bateman would be so jealous.

Front:

ben-1.jpg

Back:

ben-2.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So he's pretty much making $25 million this year?

I should have been a pitcher.

No the Angels didn't pick up his option. But he did get paid 3.5 million to be bought out by the Angels, so he's making 16.5 this year for god knows how many starts.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JackCurryYES
With ARod out, Yanks have spoken with Kevin Youkilis's agent. Word is that Youk would consider 1-year deal if money was at premium amount.

shit aint right

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Rangers need to shop Elvis for Justin Upton.
the diamondbacks are asking for too much. Elvis is just as valuable as Upton and is under contract for two years at about 11.5 million. In those two years (upton under contract for 3) upton makes 24 million. If I were the rangers I would ask for something in return along with Upton if I traded Elvis.

edit: same thing with Andrelton Simmons.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
the diamondbacks are asking for too much. Elvis is just as valuable as Upton and is under contract for two years at about 11.5 million. In those two years (upton under contract for 3) upton makes 24 million. If I were the rangers I would ask for something in return along with Upton if I traded Elvis.

edit: same thing with Andrelton Simmons.
Well the thing is that the diamondbacks don't really have a reason to trade Upton at this point. The only incentive would be for a lopsided deal where they're the winners.

Windu

Well the thing is that the diamondbacks don't really have a reason to trade Upton at this point. The only incentive would be for a lopsided deal where they're the winners.
yep. which is why upton won't be traded this offseason.

eznark

Banned
Bowden has declared the Nationals are now the team most likely to win 100 games in 2013.

Congratulations on a guaranteed 100 losses, Washington.

Windu

You're assuming that the royals are rational actors.
when it comes to their premium home grown players (especially ones under contract for a long time), I think they are very rational. FA and other Trades though....lol.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
when it comes to their premium home grown players (especially ones under contract for a long time), I think they are very rational. FA and other Trades though....lol.
The fact that they're willing to trade Myers suggests to me that they're not.

Top Bottom