• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

eznark

Banned
Griffey was far too lazy to take steroids. That required planning, cycling and just generally being awake for long stretches at a time.

To the shock of absolutely no one, Grady Sizemore re-injured his knee during his rehab and had to have microfracture surgery in September. He won't be recovered until mid-2013.

Fox318

I don't want any roiders in the hall of fame.

They don't deserve to be next to Jackie Robinson, Lou Gehrig, or Roberto Clemente. Talk about Gaylord Perry all you like but I don't want the cheats in the Hall.

Sounds like Jason Bay found a job.

New Mest GM?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

They don't deserve to be next to Jackie Robinson, Lou Gehrig, or Roberto Clemente. Talk about Gaylord Perry all you like but I don't want the cheats in the Hall.

New Mest GM?

I wonder what the HoF would look like if you removed all the cheaters

Speaking strictly as a Braves fan, I hope the Mets keep Dickey. The Braves have something on him because they always kick his ass and knock him out early.

New Mest GM?

There's already a ton of cheaters in the hall, yes even steroid users, unless you are one of those people that believe steroids were invented in the 90s by Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa. Then don't even get started on greenies, which beloved players like Hank Aaron and Roger Maris probably used.

eznark

Banned
There's already a ton of cheaters in the hall, yes even steroid users, unless you are one of those people that believe steroids were invented in the 90s by Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa. Then don't even get started on greenies, which beloved players like Hank Aaron and Roger Maris probably used.

Steroids weren't officially cheating in baseball until 1991, so yeah, steroid cheating was invented in the 1990's. "Greenies" weren't made illegal until a couple years ago.

May as well claim Bob Gibson was a cheater because he pitched from a higher mound.

Blackace

How about sign stealing?

Or guys who did coke? Or smoke pot?

Because those substances were Actually banned by the MLB

Blackace

Steroids weren't officially cheating in baseball until 1991, so yeah, steroid cheating was invented in the 1990's. "Greenies" weren't made illegal until a couple years ago.

May as well claim Bob Gibson was a cheater because he pitched from a higher mound.
Guys used to ship roids directly to the ballpark

Fox318

Anyone can cut their fingers off.
I almost cut my fingers off with a hedge trimmer.
Couple times. SO RAD! Next visit planned for when Sheffield gets in. I am going to be there early so I can sit up front and heckle the ever loving shit out of him.
You should try and think of a reason to talk with the research department there. My aunt played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League so I had a chance to meet and talk with the director of operations. I still talk with him from time to time. He sends me X-Mas cards.

JABEE

If you look at football, you would have to remove half of the 1970s Steelers from the Hall.

While I agree with what you're saying, if we use WAR, he actually helped the team even if he sucked at 3B. If he had the same offensive season in 1B or DH he would've had like 1 less win. And given his past seasons at 1B I think it's safe to assume that his UZR would've been as bad as 1B. I'm actually surprised he wasn't Adam Dunn bad at 3B.
It's very possible his true talent defense @ 3B is worse than his 2012 UZR shows since single season UZR fluctuates so much. But his career UZR/150 numbers are certainly better at 1B than 3B though (especially if we consider a good part of his 3B numbers were from earlier in his career when he was less chunky). The Tigers could conceivably go after a good 3B and move Miggy back to 1B with Prince DHing if they can't find a good DH. However, good 3B don't grow on trees as the Yankees are probably finding out :lol.

Still, if Miggy can play passable defense at 3B (bad defense but not enough to kill your team) while maintaining his elite bat, that kind of roster flexibility is always a plus. The first player that came to mind as a complete butcher @ 3B was pre-LF Ryan Braun and he was nearly 3 times as bad defensively as 2012 Miggy.

Yeah, he's like the opposite of that in my opinion. Sort of like this Edgar Martinez's numbers suggest at a quick glance...seven years straight .990 or greater OPS. That seems worthy of a lot of praise to me. Can't believe I don't recognize the name at all, actually, since every kid my age was watching the HR hitters avidly back then.

are you saying you didn't see Edgar play?

New Mest GM?

but how exactly is Roids cheating? they are taking pils/medicine/whatever to be stronger and healthier so they can go out and play hard/train harder and well for their team and fans. sounds like a dedicated person to me.

Macattk15

Hope the M's don't trade the world for J Up .... since they keep talking to the Diamondbacks.

I don't have much faith in him outside of Arizona.

Though signing Hamilton and trading for Upton would be intriguing ....

That reminds me, Ricky Nolasco's agent has publicly stated that he wants to be traded. If both Escobar and Nolasco end up being shipped out, the highest paid player on the Marlins' current roster? Adeiny Hechavarria at $1.75 million.

There's also a rumor going around that Stanton demanded to be traded too. Stanton's agent wouldn't confirm or deny.

Link

The Autumn Wind
There's also a rumor going around that Stanton demanded to be traded too. Stanton's agent wouldn't confirm or deny.
I wouldn't doubt it. I can only imagine the haul the marlins could get for him, considering he hasn't even hit arbitration yet.

Drek

Heard the Mets want Jackie Bradley and Xander Boagerts.

Which is just about the most hilarious thing ever for the Mets to suggest. The Sox wouldn't send either one on their own for Dickey and any other player under Mets control other than Zack Wheeler, let alone both.

I thumbed through the Mets farm system a bit before making that statement by the way and GOOD GOD what a pathetic fucking mess. How can they suck so frequently yet have so few good prospects?

Which is just about the most hilarious thing ever for the Mets to suggest. The Sox wouldn't send either one on their own for Dickey and any other player under Mets control other than Zack Wheeler, let alone both.

I thumbed through the Mets farm system a bit before making that statement by the way and GOOD GOD what a pathetic fucking mess. How can they suck so frequently yet have so few good prospects?

position players yeah, we suck. but pitching prospects?? we had Matt Harvey join the big club, Zack Wheeler top 5 pitching prospect. Jeurys Familia Top 100 prospect, Michael Fullmer has shot up prospect list and will be featured on top 100 list. Jennry Mejia was up there but fell off due to surgery but he's looking good in Winter ball. guys like McHugh, Gorski, Ramirez. Hitters, Wilmer Flores is still young but is showing improvement, only thing is he plays 3B. Nimmo and Cechinni also look good but are way too young. We just dont have many position player prospects close to majors.

McNei1y

Notnats should come to the Nationals. We have pieces that could put Miami back into shape for the future!!!!!!1121!! I swear!!

Drek

position players yeah, we suck. but pitching prospects?? we had Matt Harvey join the big club, Zack Wheeler top 5 pitching prospect. Jeurys Familia Top 100 prospect, Michael Fullmer has shot up prospect list and will be featured on top 100 list. Jennry Mejia was up there but fell off due to surgery but he's looking good in Winter ball. guys like McHugh, Gorski, Ramirez. Hitters, Wilmer Flores is still young but is showing improvement, only thing is he plays 3B. Nimmo and Cechinni also look good but are way too young. We just dont have many position player prospects close to majors.

I'll amend my previous statement a touch now that I'm thinking about it a bit more. Other than Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler there isn't a player or combination of players the Mets can assemble that would get them either of Bogaerts or Bradley, let alone both.

Bogaerts at 19 just hit 20 homers in less than 500 ABs between A and AA. His defense is looking more and more capable of playing at SS as he climbs the ranks. He's a top 50 prospect on everyone's list. Jurickson Profar is widely considered the top prospect in all of baseball right now. The differences between him and Bogaerts staying in the DSL instead of playing in low A at 17 like Profar did. Otherwise he's shown a higher peak in AA already, has consistently hit for more power, and consistently puts up a higher BA. He's also statistically a comparable defensive SS with similar range factor and fielding percentage scores.

Jackie Bradley at 22, in only his first season of full time pro ball, crushed high A with over 200 ABs with an OPS over 1.000, then faced AA for another >200 ABs with a 0.809 OPS. He's considered a gold glove caliber defensive CF already. He's also a top 50 guy on everyone's list. Right now the Sox have him all but inked in as the 2014 opening day CF after he rakes AA for ~300 ABs and gets a 100 AB cup of coffee in AAA or MLB late this summer.

The fact that these guys are only top 50 guys right now is due to limited sample size. If they both continue where they left 2012 at for 2013 they'll spend a lot of time in Portland for the Red Sox AA affiliate and likely climb into top 10 status for Bogaerts and top 20 status for Bradley.

Asking for either one in exchange for a rental on Dickey is goofy as hell, asking for both is full blown idiocy.

Fenix

I'll amend my previous statement a touch now that I'm thinking about it a bit more. Other than Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler there isn't a player or combination of players the Mets can assemble that would get them either of Bogaerts or Bradley, let alone both.

Bogaerts at 19 just hit 20 homers in less than 500 ABs between A and AA. His defense is looking more and more capable of playing at SS as he climbs the ranks. He's a top 50 prospect on everyone's list. Jurickson Profar is widely considered the top prospect in all of baseball right now. The differences between him and Bogaerts staying in the DSL instead of playing in low A at 17 like Profar did. Otherwise he's shown a higher peak in AA already, has consistently hit for more power, and consistently puts up a higher BA. He's also statistically a comparable defensive SS with similar range factor and fielding percentage scores.

Jackie Bradley at 22, in only his first season of full time pro ball, crushed high A with over 200 ABs with an OPS over 1.000, then faced AA for another >200 ABs with a 0.809 OPS. He's considered a gold glove caliber defensive CF already. He's also a top 50 guy on everyone's list. Right now the Sox have him all but inked in as the 2014 opening day CF after he rakes AA for ~300 ABs and gets a 100 AB cup of coffee in AAA or MLB late this summer.

The fact that these guys are only top 50 guys right now is due to limited sample size. If they both continue where they left 2012 at for 2013 they'll spend a lot of time in Portland for the Red Sox AA affiliate and likely climb into top 10 status for Bogaerts and top 20 status for Bradley.

Asking for either one in exchange for a rental on Dickey is goofy as hell, asking for both is full blown idiocy.
Yeah, asking for Bogaerts/Bradley is dumb, but it's also a bit silly to think that prospects are going to progress along a straight line. There's always a risk that they take a step back or maybe just can't figure it out at all. Might want to temper your hype a bit.

Drek

Yeah, asking for Bogaerts/Bradley is dumb, but it's also a bit silly to think that prospects are going to progress along a straight line. There's always a risk that they take a step back or maybe just can't figure it out at all. Might want to temper your hype a bit.

Sure, that is the risk with every prospect. It is offset by the massive savings a team gets when a young farmhand breaks through and they pay him pre-arb minimums for 2-3 years followed by arb controlled raises for another 3 years.

This is why teams generally refuse to trade top tier pitching prospects. That same reservation should apply (and is beginning to apply) to high value position players like SS, CF, 2B, and C. The likelihood of failure needs to be significantly high for it to offset six cost controlled years of an elite talent at a major need position, and generally for prospects the level of Bogaerts/Bradley it isn't.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Dan Haren in agreement with #Nationals, one year, $13M. Pending physical.

that seems like a shitload of money to give to a guy who probably can't stand straight up.

e: beaten like the houston astros

Fenix

Sure, that is the risk with every prospect. It is offset by the massive savings a team gets when a young farmhand breaks through and they pay him pre-arb minimums for 2-3 years followed by arb controlled raises for another 3 years.

This is why teams generally refuse to trade top tier pitching prospects. That same reservation should apply (and is beginning to apply) to high value position players like SS, CF, 2B, and C. The likelihood of failure needs to be significantly high for it to offset six cost controlled years of an elite talent at a major need position, and generally for prospects the level of Bogaerts/Bradley it isn't.
Absolutely, just pointing out that even making it to the majors is super hard (though in all likelyhood these guys will, solid defense is less likely to falter).

Edit: Lots of money for scary medicals.

Top Bottom