• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Alex Gordon, Golden Glove winner for two consecutive years!

tumblr_m43umiLm5j1rvt5wko4_400.gif

tumblr_m54vi7j8no1rvt5wko1_r2_400.gif

Malo

Banned
2012 Gold glove winners:

CATCHER
American League: Matt Wieters
National League: Yadier Molina

LEFT FIELD
American League: Alex Gordon
National League: Carlos Gonzalez

CENTER FIELD
American League: Adam Jones
National League: Andrew McCutchen

RIGHT FIELD
American League: Josh Reddick
National League: Jason Heyward

FIRST BASE
American League: Mark Teixeira
National League: Adam LaRoche

SECOND BASE
American League: Robinson Cano
National League: Darwin Barney

SHORTSTOP
American League: J.J. Hardy
National League: Jimmy Rollins

THIRD BASE
American League: Adrian Beltre
National League: Chase Headley

PITCHER
American League: Jake Peavy, Jeremy Hellickson
National League: Mark Buehrle

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/30/gold-glove-award-winners-as-theyre-announced/
Alex Gordon, Golden Glove winner for two consecutive years!
Only because Gardner was injured!

just a heads up for people
mlb the show 2012 is $9.99 (plus tax) with free shipping on gamefly today

gamefly games come with cases that have never been rented out so should come with a valid online pass (if it doesn't you can contact support and they should hook you up) they also come with a risk of having chipped edges for ps3 games but they should play just fine (if they don't you can contact support and should at the very least get a refund, maybe a replacement) overall I have been happy with the quality of gamefly used games.

bitchin'.

qg0VH.png

rando14

How did Jeter not win a GG, he had the 5th highest batting average in the league! That shit is rigged.

In the Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) metric, Ryan posted a 27 compared to18 for Hardy and 8 for Andrus.

When it came to Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR), Ryan scored a 14.7,compared to 11.4 for Hardy and 8.8 for Andrus.

So, not much of a contest there.

He also had a fucking 3.6 dwar, compared to Hardy's 2.8

Also fun fact, Jeter had an absolutely sensational -1.4 dwar!

Blearth

Banned
The Brandon League contract is fucking stupefying.

Just goes to show that all the money in the world can't make up for shitty management (see Mets, Cubs etc.).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
GL to any gaffers at the parade today. 2010 was insane, I imagine the streets are already filling up. Yall should go to the side of Att park after though (where it's car entrance) because that is where all the players went after the parade to get their cars etc.

harSon

Banned
Glad I'm sick, because going to work in SF today... between all of the fairweather and longlasting shit fans, would be a pain in the fucking ass today.

McNei1y

Not sure how J Roll beat out Desmond but oh well.

Friday is the deadline for teams to complete deals with players going to free agency, yeah?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Of course Rafael Soriano will opt out of his contract. Wat a contract.

Yeah it was a given he'd opt out. He's literally leaving money on the table by not opting out - 100% lock the Yankees extend him a qualifying offer. He makes 800k that way even if he accepts the offer but obviously chances are he won't.

Opiate

The Brandon League contract is fucking stupefying.

Just goes to show that all the money in the world can't make up for shitty management (see Mets, Cubs etc.).

Notice that all the stupid teams with lots of money are in the NL. I honsetly think that almost singlehandedly accounts for the difference between the NL and AL; Yankees and Boston are both very smart, while LAA are not perfect but also not terrible; the Mets, Cubs, and Dodgers are all complete disasters.

eznark

Banned
Notice that all the stupid teams with lots of money are in the NL. I honsetly think that almost singlehandedly accounts for the difference between the NL and AL; Yankees and Boston are both very smart, while LAA are not perfect but also not terrible; the Mets, Cubs, and Dodgers are all complete disasters.

bahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Alex Rodriguez 3b
10 years/$275M (2008-17)
re-signed by NY Yankees as a free agent 12/13/07
$10M signing bonus ($2M paid upon approval, $1M paid each Jan. 15, 2009-2013, $3M paid Jan. 15, 2014)
08:$27M, 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M, 15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20M

Opiate

I think it's quite true. Both NYY and Boston have obviously made some errors -- as is likely for anyone given enough money and given a long enough period of time just due to statistical variance in performance -- but their consistent representation in the postseason speaks for itself. I don't mean during the post season, which is mostly random chance, but actually getting there, which is much less likely to be caused by random good luck, as the sample size is much larger. The NYY have been to the postseason 9 out of the previous 10 seasons, while the Red Sox have been six times in the same time frame. By comparison, the Dodgers have been four times, the Cubs 3 times, and the Mets once. The Red Sox have gone to the postseason more than the Mets and Cubs combined in this time frame, while the Yankees have been more than the Dodgers, Cubs, and Mets combined.

I'm not sure what your point of reference is; compared to other large market teams with large budgets, the Red Sox and Yankees have performed extremely well.

I think it's quite true. Both NYY and Boston have obviously made some errors -- as is likely in any situation over a long enough period of time -- but their consistent representation in the postseason speaks for itself. I don't mean during the post season, which is mostly random chance, but the NYY have been to the postseason 9 out of the previous 10 seasons, while the Red Sox have been six times in the same time frame. By comparison, the Dodgers have been four times, the Cubs 3 times, and the Mets once. The Red Sox have gone to the postseason more than the Mets and Cubs combined in this time frame, while the Yankees have been more than the Dodgers, Cubs, and Mets combined.

So then you think the Phillies have spent money smartly?

see5harp

Hitting wise, paying Rollins and Howard probably seemed like a good thing. Their stats during that regular season were pretty decent (even if they were decreases from the previous seasons) They were great up until they ran into The Giants, whose pitchers prompty removed their souls.

Opiate

So then you think the Phillies have spent money smartly?

They've been 5 of the last 10 years, so better than the NYM, Dodgers, or Cubs, but not as good as the NYY or Red Sox.

Speaking of the decade as a whole, I think it's likely Philadelphia's most recent conctracts (i.e. those signed in the last 2-3 years) will not be fruitful, but that isn't something we have significant evidence to support or refute yet. I think there is substantial evidence, however, that the contracts signed before that (i.e. in the early 2000s) were quite prudent.

They've been 5 of the last 10 years, so better than the NYM, Dodgers, or Cubs, but not as good as the NYY or Red Sox.

Speaking of the decade as a whole, I think it's likely Philadelphia's most recent conctracts (i.e. those signed in the last 2-3 years) will not be fruitful, but that isn't something we have significant evidence to support or refute yet. I think there is substantial evidence, however, that the contracts signed before that (i.e. in the early 2000s) were quite prudent.

Is there some specific reason you are looking at a 10 year sample size? A big part of the Yankees and Red Sox making the playoffs most years is there isnt a lot of competition in their divisions. The Rays are a solid team that overachieves most years but the Blue Jays have been down for a while and before their magical season this year the Orioles have not been good at all. I just dont see how you can say those teams are marter then other teams just based on the fact that they have more playoff appearances. Competition, luck, injuries, having a good minor leagues system, all play a apart beyond just how much you spend.

Opiate

Is there some specific reason you are looking at a 10 year sample size? A big part of the Yankees and Red Sox making the playoffs most years is there isnt a lot of competition in their divisions. The Rays are a solid team that overachieves most years but the Blue Jays have been down for a while and before their magical season this year the Orioles have not been good at all. I just dont see how you can say those teams are marter then other teams just based on the fact that they have more playoff appearances. Competition, luck, injuries, having a good minor leagues system, all play a apart beyond just how much you spend.

Chosen partially arbitrarily, but my basic guidelines were to pick a time frame that wasn't too small (to avoid sample size bias and framing) but also one that wasn't too large (to avoid antiquated data. For example, the fact that the Yankees were really good in the 1930s does not speak significantly to the Yankees performance in recent years).

If you'd like to expand it to 15 years that's fine, but that doesn't look any better for the NL. Also, if you're going to bring up "the competition sucked!" I don't think you're going to win an argument that the AL East -- or the AL generally -- has been weaker than the NL over the last decade.

Malo

Banned
Alex Rodriguez 3b
10 years/$275M (2008-17)
re-signed by NY Yankees as a free agent 12/13/07
$10M signing bonus ($2M paid upon approval, $1M paid each Jan. 15, 2009-2013, $3M paid Jan. 15, 2014)
08:$27M, 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M, 15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20M
That was all Hank!

Top Bottom