• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Sharp

sometimes I wish I could see the absolute best defensive players play the game. Sadly the best are always stuck in the minors because they can't hit for shit.
You know as well as I do that this is the argument that leads to designated fielders, let's just stop it right here.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Fuck that shit, if they trade Myers then the braves won't get Gordon!
i'd be willing to take myers.
You know as well as I do that this is the argument that leads to designated fielders, let's just stop it right here.
lol true. what we need I guess is some kind of event in the all star games that shows off the best defenders.

Windu

Fact: This is the best Christmas Ornament of all time.
d7Nh4.jpg

Windu

I expect he will bounce back and put up something like 2 fWAR. Congrats Phillies.

gaming_noob

Mariners are going to be awesome to watch. Actually, many teams have turned around this offseason. 2013 is going to be very fun to watch.

I am very happy with the Phils getting Young. Sounds like they are giving up next to nothing and the Rangers are paying half his salary. This is no risk some reward. Hopefully he can bounce back to 2011 level of production.

JABEE

I am very happy with the Phils getting Young. Sounds like they are giving up next to nothing and the Rangers are paying half his salary. This is no risk some reward. Hopefully he can bounce back to 2011 level of production.
94WIP is saying the Rangers are paying $11-12 million of his salary.

94WIP is saying the Rangers are paying $11-12 million of his salary.

Damn even better. The article I read this morning said only $8m. If the Phils could just get an outfielder and a setup man they could be in good shape this year. I heard Utleys agent last night say that his knee is doing great and if the season started today he would be good to go. Supposedly the Phils also offered Worley to the Sox for Ellsbury but no deal.

I cant see how Sheffield could even do the job. If I was the Brewers or Padres I would never sign any of his clients just out of spite for what he did.

Jon

If the Phillies get Michael Young, Ruben should be fired on the spot. How can you give up ANYTHING for a guy who is so far past his prime? It is embarrassing. His OPS was a joke, his defense is a joke...this is not Michael Young of 2005. This is the guy who had 27 doubles and 26 GIDPs last year.

If the Phillies get Michael Young, Ruben should be fired on the spot. How can you give up ANYTHING for a guy who is so far past his prime? It is embarrassing. His OPS was a joke, his defense is a joke...this is not Michael Young of 2005. This is the guy who had 27 doubles and 26 GIDPs last year.

LOL at this. He is 1 year removed from batting .338, with 41 doubles, 6 triples, and 11 homeruns. His defense is going to be much better then Frandsen's also. Phils are giving up basically nothing so whats the downside? This seems like a no brainer move. Have you even sen the dreck that is available at 3B this year? Young is way better then any of the FAs available.

Jon

LOL at this. He is 1 year removed from batting .338, with 41 doubles, 6 triples, and 11 homeruns. His defense is going to be much better then Frandsen's also. Phils are giving up basically nothing so whats the downside? This seems like a no brainer move. Have you even sen the dreck that is available at 3B this year? Young is way better then any of the FAs available.

I definitely do not want them to get Youkilis, and yes, other options are terrible. The only way this deal can become remotely palatable is if the Rangers pay 10+ million of his salary, and we trade them Michael Martinez.

EDIT: I didn't even mention he is 36. How much more value can he add over a platoon of Frandsen/Anyone? I say...zero.

I definitely do not want them to get Youkilis, and yes, other options are terrible. The only way this deal can become remotely palatable is if the Rangers pay 10+ million of his salary, and we trade them Michael Martinez.

EDIT: I didn't even mention he is 36. How much more value can he add over a platoon of Frandsen/Anyone? I say...zero.

Sounds like the Rangers are picking up more then $10m and the Phils are giving them a low level prospect and a reliever, so basically nothing. Young might be equal to a platoon or Frandsen/who ever, but you have to admit that he has more upside then anyone else they could put in there. What exactly is the downside to this deal? They gave up basically nothing, and if Youg sucks then they go with one of the other shitty options they have.

Jon

Sounds like the Rangers are picking up more then $10m and the Phils are giving them a low level prospect and a reliever, so basically nothing. Young might be equal to a platoon or Frandsen/who ever, but you have to admit that he has more upside then anyone else they could put in there. What exactly is the downside to this deal? They gave up basically nothing, and if Youg sucks then they go with one of the other shitty options they have.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the particulars of the deal. It just seems like a reach, and unnecessary to me. We'll see how it shakes out.

Askani

If this Shields for Myers + more rumor ends up being true, my head may explode.

I will kiss my kids goodbye, I will find a home for my cats, I will drive to Kauffman Stadium, I will scream "WHYYYY?!?!?!" and then my head will fly apart in a million tiny pieces.

Why would you do that deal? If you're one pitcher away from winning 85+ games? The Royals are not that close.

Enron

Banned

LOL no

The Mariners are not close to signing Hamilton, team president Chuck Armstrong tells Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

Enron

Banned
Then you havent seen Kevin Frandsen play 3rd base. He is an absolute butcher at that position. He booted so many routine plays. No way could Young be worse.

MY's uzr/150 games for his career at 3B is -9.2. it was -30 last year in 215 innings. Frandsen's is -6.8, and last year had a POSITIVE uzr/150 of .3. He's leagues better than Michael "The Butcher" Young.

Young's Runs Above Average fielding last year = -7.7
Frandsen's = .1

Michael Young is possibly the worst player on any major league squad at the moment. If the Rangers don't pay 100% of his salary and get somebody who has a pulse in return, then they will be bending the phillies over the desk for this negative-value machine.

Young had a higher fielding percentage at 3rd base last year. 95% to 94%, not a huge difference but still better.

Edit: I se you added more. I dont care about any of those things. I watched Frandsen last year and he was terrible, I really doubt Young could be worse, and if he is then we just put Kevin back in. Either way this move doesnt hurt the Phils in any way. It can only help or things are the same as they would have been without it.

Top Bottom