• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Enron

Banned
Please, please keep Michael Young.

Get hype, Philths!

up8iW.jpg

You deserve him!

Young had a higher fielding percentage at 3rd base last year. 95% to 94%, not a huge difference but still better.

Edit: I se you added more. I dont care about any of those things. I watched Frandsen last year and he was terrible, I really doubt Young could be worse, and if he is then we just put Kevin back in. Either way this move doesnt hurt the Phils in any way. It can only help or things are the same as they would have been without it.

Edit: lol @ you. Your delusion is cute.

What delusion? There is no way this move is bad for the Phillies. If he sucks oh well it didnt cost them anything and they still have the same shitty options they would have had without trading for him. There is no possible way you can spin this as a bad thing. They needed a 3rd baseman and out of all the terrible options available he is the best.

Enron

Banned
What delusion? There is no way this move is bad for the Phillies. If he sucks oh well it didnt cost them anything and they still have the same shitty options they would have had without trading for him. There is no possible way you can spin this as a bad thing. They needed a 3rd baseman and out of all the terrible options available he is the best.

It is a bad thing, because instead of having a hole at 3rd base, you are going to have A GIANT FUCKING GAPING BLACK HOLE OF SUCK at 3rd base, you will be giving up a young player (not a good prospect, mind you, but something of at least some tiny positive value) and paying at least 5 million to MY of your own money to lose you games. This is literally the WORST option the Philths could have chosen, lololol.

I look forward to Atlanta bunting and hitting to the left hand side of the INF all year vs the Phils. F you guys.

List of players worse than Michael Young in 2012, by bWAR:
  • Jeff Francoeur

hahaha.

Jon

YankeeHater, it's literally come to the point where a cheap Kevin Frandsen is actually a better player than a ~6MM Michael Young at this stage of his career.

Enron said:
It is a bad thing, because instead of having a hole at 3rd base, you are going to have A GIANT FUCKING GAPING BLACK HOLE OF SUCK at 3rd base, you will be giving up a young player (not a good prospect, mind you, but something of at least some tiny positive value) and paying at least 5 million to MY of your own money to lose you games. This is literally the WORST option the Philths could have chosen, lololol.

I look forward to Atlanta bunting and hitting to the left hand side of the INF all year vs the Phils. F you guys.

No! Don't wish ill will on us, please! We need all the help we can get.

LOL you guys are to much some times.

YankeeHater, it's literally come to the point where a cheap Kevin Frandsen is actually a better player than a ~6MM Michael Young at this stage of his career.

Jon if that is true, lets say you are right and Young doesnt bounce back at all and he is his 2012 self and not his 2011 self, then what is to stop the Phils from playing Kevin at 3rd and using Young as a pinch hitter? I till dont see any down side at all to this.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Young will block a trade with his 10/5 rights. Evan Grant will discuss what a great guy he is for the rest of the year.

Phillies might be interested in Ben Revere for CF. Who could they send us?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
to be fair to young, he can't be as bad as last year. I don't expect him to be good or anything, but i don't think he will be negative value like in 2012. Unless there is a injury i don't know about. Looking at hia stats it seems like he had some kind of leg injury or something because of his awful baserunning compared to his previous years of good baserunning.

still a god awful trade either way.

Edit: then again i think history probably shows that being so shitty at such an advaced age means you will probably not rebound.

Fenix

Surprised that the Giants are out on Grilli, per Rosenthal. Wouldn't you want to go to a likely playoff-bound team in a pitcher's park?

clemenx

Banned
I'm fascinated at all the following of Grilli's decision. Is there a more random reliever out there? Sheff is doing his job, lol.

cashman

Banned
Guess who

And finally, there is Michael Young. From a pure baseball standpoint, it may be time to move Young. The Rangers can get younger, free up a little more money to potentially pursue both Greinke and Hamilton and not face any awkwardness about who should get how much playing time. But the damage has been done. Throughout the world of baseball players, Young is viewed with the same kind of respect as Derek Jeter. That is, universal. Right or wrong, there will be a perception that the Rangers yanked Young all over the infield and then simply squeezed him out and dumped him after making it clear that if he stayed he could lose significant playing time. This is the business of baseball. It’s probably what the Rangers have to do if they view their current roster as nothing more than assets and debits. But, while MLB players deal in big dollars, they also have very human emotions and they talk. And the Young situation is liable to have some kind of long-term effect on how attractive players consider Texas. Yes, it almost always comes down to dollars, but there are exceptions. You’d hate to lose those occasional exceptions.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/the-buzz-the-rangers-control-the-winter-meetings.html/

Jon

Lambtron, we are going after Ben Revere. Will he ever hit a home run for us? Is his defense as good as Baseball Tonight made it out to be?

BFIB

Not going after, the trade is done.

Nice pickup by the Phils. Between that and getting Derek Jeter 2.0 possibly.

Jon

We gave up Worley and another pitcher...details emerging.

Not sure if this is good. I like Ben Revere, just not at this price.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Lambtron, we are going after Ben Revere. Will he ever hit a home run for us? Is his defense as good as Baseball Tonight made it out to be?
Only way he will hit a homer is of the inside the park variety. His defense is at least as good as the highlights. His range is incredible and he's fast as hell. Arm is below average. He's a major threat on the bases.

Worley+? I am okay with this.

Fuck no way would I have given up Worley for Revere. fuck so now we have to have Doc at 100% and we need Colvin and Kendrick to pitch well this year. This is a desperate move and 1 that I dont like at all. Phils need to get some power in the lineup, fuck.

Hes a big kid but he really struggled at AA last year. A few years ago people were talking about him as a big prospect but he seems to have fallen off. Maybe a change of scenery gets him back on track.

Malo

Banned
Apparently the yankees have made a one year $12 mill offer to Youkilis, it's better than having Nunez at third, I guess.

Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN
#Royals actually talked to #Mets more about Jon Niese and Zack Wheeler in trade variations involving Wil Myers -- not Dickey. Not happening.
Get fucked, Royals. You love taking scrubby former Braves players but you want Niese AND Wheeler for Myers.

Zep

Banned
Come on Jon, turn that frown upside-down!

up8iW.jpg

Maybe thats why Young won't come to Philly...He can't have Jimmy's number. How unfortunate, really!

Anyway, the trade for Revere is fine. Dude is cost effective for essentially the next 5 years and May regressed big time down in AA. He could turn out to be a middle-rotation guy if he gets his shit together. Nobody should be losing sleep over this trade as both teams filled an immediate need.

Now just sign Swisher or Hamilton along with Adams and the team is ready to go.

Jon

I really like Ben Revere, skillset-wise, but I hope the cost isn't too much. I wasn't ready to give up on May, despite his major regression last year. If May only develops into a reliever, than I will be fine on this.

I'm not sure who the Phillies have in mind for a corner outfielder, but I guess Swisher has to be in play. Swisher seems like such a douche though...but beggars can't be choosers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nick Swisher is the perfect fit for Philly.

Also I think its utterly bizarre how people call Revere a Juan Pierre clone as if it was an insult. Pierre was a really good player for a while. If Revere is Juan Pierre good for the next 5 years then the Phillies won the deal.

Yankee fans will tell you he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, all the while the don't want to offer him a contract.

Exactly. Guy seems like such a prick and he is so up and down. If a team is going to pay Swisher, and judging by the recent outfield contracts it will be a lot, why not just pay Hamilton. He is so much better.

Malo

Banned
Yankee fans will tell you he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, all the while the don't want to offer him a contract.

Exactly. Guy seems like such a prick and he is so up and down. If a team is going to pay Swisher, and judging by the recent outfield contracts it will be a lot, why not just pay Hamilton. He is so much better.
Haven't you guys heard? We're a small market team now!

Like I said before who cares if he's a prick as long as he's productive, and Swisher won't get any where close to Hamilton money. I think a 4 year $60 mill offer gets it done. I would love to have him back at that price, but we poors now.

Braves re-sign Reed Johnson to a 1-year deal with a 2014 option. Maybe now they will play their first season since 2005 without Matt Diaz.

Top Bottom