• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Not to take away from either player's awfulness (or your overall point), but Greg Dobbs, Joe Mather and Ryan Rayburn were arguably way worse -- Rayburn was worth -2.0 WAR, and he played in 80-90 fewer games!
Nick Blackburn (we're comparing pitchers to position players here, but stick with me) was worth -2.3 WAR in 19 games. 98 IP.

Also I think its utterly bizarre how people call Revere a Juan Pierre clone as if it was an insult. Pierre was a really good player for a while. If Revere is Juan Pierre good for the next 5 years then the Phillies won the deal.
Revere strikes out more and has even less power than Pierre. He has value, sure. But in the Twins' system he's a 4th OF at best. This is a trade where both sides are getting something they need, so I think both teams can "win" this trade. Revere is an elite outfielder, one of the very best. But I bet Mastroianni will have greater than or equal value than Revere in 2013, and I doubt the Phils would've given up Worley & May for Mastroianni (a guy the Twins plucked off waivers).

Don't get me wrong. Ben's great and I loved watching him play. But the Twins traded him at his maximum value and got solid pieces in return.

Macattk15

Not sure I understand the Swisher hate.

He's a douchebag? So what. You're not on his team!

Make's contact, gets on base, hits for some power ... what isn't to like?

So the Yanks have around 85 million salary for 2014 at this point, you say Cano takes about 25 mil, another 25 million for just arbitration, bullpen signings, and reserves. Depending on what they are going to do with Granderson, Logan, Hughes, Kuroda, the Yanks should have about 50 mil at most to about 20 mil to play with at this point.

Sanjuro

Not sure I understand the Swisher hate.

He's a douchebag? So what. You're not on his team!

Make's contact, gets on base, hits for some power ... what isn't to like?

Except when it counts. Can't play defense.

I'd take the douchebag at 3/39! Only if he plays LF and only at Fenway. Chances are that isn't going to happen.

Supposedly, what the Yankees are doing is trying to get under the luxury tax to reset their penalty before 2015. In 2015, there's a mega ass free agent (Verlander, Felix) class so that they can go bananas with only a 17.5% tax.

Fenix

Halladay's 2014 is a vesting option: "option vests with 225 IP in 2013, 415 IP in 2012-2013 and player not on DL at end of 2013".

Which means he basically has to pitch 258.2 innings next year.

Halladay's 2014 is a vesting option: "option vests with 225 IP in 2013, 415 IP in 2012-2013 and player not on DL at end of 2013".

Which means he basically has to pitch 258.2 innings next year.

.....or he could just throw 225 innings in 2013 and not finish on the DL.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
im hoping it stalls out longer so the white sox can get a nice pick up for floyd via trade as I would rather see his 9.5mil spent elsewhere
Floyd seems very mediocre, but very mediocre pitchers are signing big deals so I could see someone giving up a piece for him.

Rosenthal reports Mariners current offer to Hamilton is a 3-year, $75 million deal. Rangers offer is said to be for four years, but not much more money.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Rosenthal reports Mariners current offer to Hamilton is a 3-year, $75 million deal.
lol!

Twins are about to finalize and extension with Jared Burton for '13 & '14 with an option for '15. I'm totally on board with this. He & Perkins are a formidable back of the bullpen.

zulux21

Floyd seems very mediocre, but very mediocre pitchers are signing big deals so I could see someone giving up a piece for him.

he is very mediocre but for some reason a number of teams want him. He is one of those pitchers that when he is on he is almost unhitable but he is off more often than on. He isn't a bad 4-5 starter but I feel 9.5mil is to much for him (about 4.5 mil to much)... granted most free agent signings are crazy high this year. The white sox have a number of minor league pitching prospects that should be able to at least get near floyd's numbers so I would like to see him moved for some prospects and the money spent to bring AJ back for 2 more seasons or so as I just don't think Flowers is the answer to the white sox catching needs.

Macattk15

lol!

Twins are about to finalize and extension with Jared Burton for '13 & '14 with an option for '15. I'm totally on board with this. He & Perkins are a formidable back of the bullpen.

Lol?

He's gonna get close to that money from someone ... might as well be the Mariners! And only for 3 years! Great!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Michael Young REJECTED the trade! BAHAHAHA.
HAHAHAHA! Selfless Michael Young doing anything for the team.

Lol?

He's gonna get close to that money from someone ... might as well be the Mariners! And only for 3 years! Great!
Three years is good, but christ, I can't imagine handing Hamilton $25 million per year. His OPS is way better at the Launching Pad in Arlington, his defense is declining, and he's a huge injury risk. Even on a three year deal I wouldn't take that risk. $15 million sure but there's no way in hell I'd give him that much money.

Drek

im hoping it stalls out longer so the white sox can get a nice pick up for floyd via trade as I would rather see his 9.5mil spent elsewhere

Hey man, Red Sox have Salty ready to take over your catching needs. Just send Floyd over so Cherrington can execute my fantastic three step move to acquire Wil Myers:
Salty > Floyd
Lester > Myers
$$$$$ > Brandon McCarthy

Victoly!!

Jon

Damn! I don't think I'd ever expect someone to fake an account to tweet someone has rejected a trade. That is next-level Twitter trolling.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lol?

Yeah, for me it's not the dollar amount but the length that was important. 3 years is the perfect length for this kind of deal

really happy to see the Ms making a real offer to a big bat this year rather than just talking about it..

zulux21

Hey man, Red Sox have Salty ready to take over your catching needs. Just send Floyd over so Cherrington can execute my fantastic three step move to acquire Wil Myers:
Salty > Floyd
Lester > Myers
$$$$$ > Brandon McCarthy

Victoly!!

personally I prefer AJ over Saltalamacchia
but I would prefer Saltalamacchia over Flowers
though I can't let you have McCarthy as he would be the ideal pick up for 6-7mil to replace floyd with. Plus it would be fun to see McCarthy and Danks in the same rotation given they were swapped for each other oh so many years ago.

Jon

Yeah, for me it's not the dollar amount but the length that was important. 3 years is the perfect length for this kind of deal

really happy to see the Ms making a real offer to a big bat this year rather than just talking about it..

The problem with Hamilton being open to such a short contract is that it will open the door to other teams to swoop in with even higher numbers (read: The Phillies).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with Hamilton being open to such a short contract is that it will open the door to other teams to swoop in with even higher numbers (read: The Phillies).
Ben loves Jesus almost as much as Hamilton, so he might be a good influence on him. Honestly.

rando14

Who in the world thinks Josh Hamilton is a good long term option? 3 years is plenty. If the Phillies want to swoop in in a few years and give him Ryan Howard cash, well that's better than I could have hoped.

Blackace

That's part of the business

It would suck but happy about the effort

Blackace

Yep.

If Hamilton turned down 3/75 and then went to someone for 4/100 or 3/85 or something ... I'd be ok with it all.
This is the first time in a min the Ms have an offer with numbers on the table

Top Bottom