• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

zulux21

I guess pulling out of the greinke stakes means we gonna sign the Korean lefty we bid on

now now... I am guessing you are a dodgers fan, and the pull out doesn't mean they are out, it's just a tactic. They are going to wait until the last moment and then spring back in offering him 20 years 400 million, with 10 years of options for 10 mil each with the only condition being that he has to pitch at least 5 innings the year before to vest. an offer he just won't be able to refuse... money is no problem for the dodgers anymore BWA HA HA HA HA....

though seriously I highly doubt they are fully out... we hear talks of teams pulling out all the time only to have them swoop back in to get someone.

I would be curious how baseball would react to a 20 year contract though... especially for a 29 year old pitcher.

Hmmmm if Mike Trout would accept a 20 year 175mil (aka 8.75 mil per season on average) contract... would you do it? (it would take him through age 42)

The Rangers prefer Dickey. And, according to John Harper of the Daily News, they will trade top hitting prospect Mike Olt to get him, but only if they first lose out on free-agent Zack Greinke.
I need info on Mike Olt please.

zulux21

I need info on Mike Olt please.

to continue off the previously posted info by cashman
career .152 hitter in the majors
in 33ab
coward who gets out of the way of the ball only racking up 9 HBP in 1038 minor league at bats
:p
He could easily have a stance that rarely puts him in the way of the ball, plus dodging a ball doesn't make you a bad player lol

more seriously though he was Rated #43 Prospect going into 2012 and only did better at a higher level in 2012. He looks to be a solid prospect and could be a great pick up if you need a 3rd basemen as if youk is looking to maybe get 12mil as a FA you know the market for 3b right now is desperate.

now now... I am guessing you are a dodgers fan, and the pull out doesn't mean they are out, it's just a tactic. They are going to wait until the last moment and then spring back in offering him 20 years 400 million, with 10 years of options for 10 mil each with the only condition being that he has to pitch at least 5 innings the year before to vest. an offer he just won't be able to refuse... money is no problem for the dodgers anymore BWA HA HA HA HA....

though seriously I highly doubt they are fully out... we hear talks of teams pulling out all the time only to have them swoop back in to get someone.

I would be curious how baseball would react to a 20 year contract though... especially for a 29 year old pitcher.

Hmmmm if Mike Trout would accept a 20 year 175mil (aka 8.75 mil per season on average) contract... would you do it? (it would take him through age 42)

Your right. Anything can happen.
Is Texas resigning Dempster? Looking on Cots and still listed as a free agent

Enron

Banned
Michael Young on the other hand is looking pretty sharp.

A9eOkfeCEAERa3C.jpg

Is he signing every ball he misplayed that week or something?

Olt for Dickey? Gross. Just say no, JD.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is he signing every ball he misplayed that week or something?

Olt for Dickey? Gross. Just say no, JD.

Reigning Cy Young whos had great back to back to back seasons for a 24 year old first baseman who has shown nothing and is probably the next Justin Smoak.

Yeah he should totally say no to that.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Reigning Cy Young whos had great back to back to back seasons and is 38 years old for a 24 year old first baseman who has shown nothing and is probably the next Justin Smoak.

FTFY because the bolded part is pretty important.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
FTFY because the bolded part is pretty important.

Rangers fans were cool when they dealt Smoak for half a year of Cliff Lee. I don't think the 38 year old bit is all that relevant, in fact it should make it easier to get an extension done.

He's 38 but it's a bit silly to use a traditional age mentality when it comes to Dickey. Like nothing about his career is traditional.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers fans were cool when they dealt Smoak for half a year of Cliff Lee. I don't think the 38 year old bit is all that relevant, in fact it should make it easier to get an extension done.

He's 38 but it's a bit silly to use a traditional age mentality when it comes to Dickey. Like nothing about his career is traditional.
I thought trading Smoak for two months of Cliff was a shit idea. I didn't want the Twins to give up Ramos for two months of him either
that would've been better than a year and a half of Capps, kill me

I'm sure Dickey will be able to throw for some time yet. I think he's a great guy and I like him a lot. He's a knuckleballer, and they're ageless. But 38 is still 38. I'd be hesitant to give up prospects and a lot of money for him. But they have one of those giant TV deals so the money portion is basically irrelevant for them, I suppose.

Enron

Banned
Reigning Cy Young whos had great back to back to back seasons for a 24 year old first baseman who has shown nothing and is probably the next Justin Smoak.

38-year old knuckleballer who finally has two good seasons late in his career? Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather keep Olt.

Stark is reporting that Hamilton and his agent are still holding out for a 6 or 7 year offer with a @25mil/year value.

For all the talk that these two sides were headed for a four-year, $108 million deal this week, a variety of baseball people who spoke with the Rangers paint a very different scenario.

They portray Hamilton and his agent, Michael Moye, as still holding out for a six-year or seven-year contract, in the neighborhood of $25 million a year. And those same folks are theorizing that Moye and Hamilton are finding it very difficult to jump at a shorter deal, for a lot fewer total dollars than marquee free agents have been used to commanding in recent years, especially in an $8 billion industry.

The problem they face is this: If they wait around much longer, the Rangers are growing increasingly likely to turn the wheel and go flying down the Greinke/Upton Freeway. And if they do, who knows where that would leave Hamilton.

Despite all the Seattle rumors -- and "Seattle, to me, makes total sense," said an official of one club -- this landscape could turn wide open if the Rangers invest their big bucks in Greinke instead of their one-time MVP.

Dan Haren has passed his physical (which was much more than a formality in his case) and his 1-year, $13 million deal with the Nationals is now complete.

BFIB

Rumors on the beat writers here in St. Louis are saying that the Cards are in talks with the Dodgers regarding Gordon. The Dodgers like Schumaker as a back up in the OF.

Rumors on the beat writers here in St. Louis are saying that the Cards are in talks with the Dodgers regarding Gordon. The Dodgers like Schumaker as a back up in the OF.
Err...doesn't Dee Gordon suck aside from his footspeed? I guess Skippy has kinda worn out his welcome on Matheny's squad though. He didn't get very much playing time last season compared to when TLR was at the helm.

I'd be okay with a one for one swap. Would not want to give up any notable prospects for Dee Gordon though.

BFIB

Err...doesn't Dee Gordon suck aside from his footspeed? I guess Skippy has kinda worn out his welcome on Matheny's squad though. He didn't get very much playing time last season compared to when TLR was at the helm.

I'd be okay with a one for one swap. Would not want to give up any notable prospects for Dee Gordon though.

My thinking is the Cards are looking at other avenues after whatever talks with Cleveland fell apart.

Diamondbacks have signed Brandon McCarthy to a two-year deal.

It's believed the Braves will not acquire another outfielder and will now go with a Martin Prado/Juan Francisco/Reed Johnson rotation in LF & 3B. Against a RHP starter, Prado will play LF and Francisco will play 3B. Against a LHP starter, Prado will play 3B and Johnson will play LF.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

It's believed the Braves will not acquire another outfielder and will now go with a Martin Prado/Juan Francisco/Reed Johnson rotation in LF & 3B. Against a RHP starter, Prado will play LF and Francisco will play 3B. Against a LHP starter, Prado will play 3B and Johnson will play LF.
if that is the case I wonder what they will do with the rest of their money. I estimate they have about 10 million to spend.

RBH

Gross.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Terrible idea.

bluemax

Banned

Aww man I wanted Brandon McCarthy in Seattle, solely for his twitter feed!

I might be alone in this, but i think Greinke is overrated. He's not even in the top 10 pitchers in MLB. He deserves to be a Dodger... overpaid, and overrated.

Sharp

I might be alone in this, but i think Greinke is overrated. He's not even in the top 10 pitchers in MLB. He deserves to be a Dodger... overpaid, and overrated.
Considering the fact that Greinke is at least one of the ten best pitchers in the MLB, and the fact that you don't think he is, I'd say he's probably underrated a little (by fans, anyway... front offices are clearly not thinking the same way).

rekameohs

Banned
The dbacks dropped 15.5 million for McCrathy? I don't see the value, at all.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccarbr01.shtml

He's had a winning record twice and 4.00+ era. What a waste.

lol at using wins and ERA to gauge someone.

Going off of your link, he had an ERA+ of 121 and 123 for the last two seasons, and managed to rack up 4.9 bWAR despite the limited playing time because of injury. Plus, even if you do look at ERA, I don't see how consecutive sub 3.40 ERA seasons could be at all deemed bad in a division with the Angels and Rangers. I look at the hilarity of the deal for Joe Blanton and his 82 ERA+, and then you look at this, and it looks much much better. Injury risk, but $15 MM for 2 years is not something that will bite a team back very hard if something goes wrong.

zulux21

Care to name your top 10 pitchers in the majors currently?
I know that wasn't directed at me, but....
I would figure the top 10 list would go something like... (in no order)
Johnny Cueto
Matt Cain
Cole Hamels
Clayton Kershaw
David Price
Justin Verlander
Jered Weaver
Félix Hernández
CC Sabathia
and likely Roy Halladay or Gio González or Tim Lincecum (despite his horrible year his numbers are still some of the best over the last 5 years) or Zack Greinke

I'm sure there is at least one pitcher I am missing that would slot in there, but overall I don't think Greinke would quite be top 10... more like 11 or 12 so... which still makes him someone I would want on my team as you aren't going to get 5 people that I listed above on the same team. Either way I agree he isn't quite top 10 in baseball. He is by far the best FA pitcher on the market though.

Top Bottom