• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Zep

Banned
I know that wasn't directed at me, but....
I would figure the top 10 list would go something like... (in no order)
Johnny Cueto
Matt Cain
Cole Hamels
Clayton Kershaw
David Price
Justin Verlander
Jered Weaver
Félix Hernández
CC Sabathia
and likely Roy Halladay or Gio González or Tim Lincecum (despite his horrible year his numbers are still some of the best over the last 5 years) or Zack Greinke

I'm sure there is at least one pitcher I am missing that would slot in there

stephen-strasburg-37-mlb.jpg

zulux21

http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/stephen-strasburg-37-mlb.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I did indeed forget Stephen Strasburg, but I also wouldn't consider him better than the people I listed AT THIS POINT. I mean he has great stuff yes, but he just hasn't had enough time in the majors to be truly proven as one of the best (he has pitched a little over one full season innings wise in the majors) For me to be one of the best some consistency over a number of years needs to be there as well. Plus given he already had a serious injury to his pitching arm. If he has a healthy full season next year of lights out pitching I would put him up there, but it's just too early to be sure. I mean he could turn into Tim Lincecum (this years) next year... he just isn't proven enough.

That all being said I would gladly take him on my team :P

ESPN Boston is reporting Ryan Dempster turned down a 2-year, $25 million offer from the Red Sox. He also reportedly turned down a 2-year, $26 million offer from the Royals.

ESPN Boston is reporting Ryan Dempster turned down a 2-year, $25 million offer from the Red Sox. He also reportedly turned down a 2-year, $26 million offer from the Royals.

Somebody somewhere will give him a huge contract with way too many years. He just needs to hang tight. lol

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I did indeed forget Stephen Strasburg, but I also wouldn't consider him better than the people I listed AT THIS POINT. I mean he has great stuff yes, but he just hasn't had enough time in the majors to be truly proven as one of the best (he has pitched a little over one full season innings wise in the majors) For me to be one of the best some consistency over a number of years needs to be there as well. Plus given he already had a serious injury to his pitching arm. If he has a healthy full season next year of lights out pitching I would put him up there, but it's just too early to be sure. I mean he could turn into Tim Lincecum (this years) next year... he just isn't proven enough.

That all being said I would gladly take him on my team :p
I'd say strasburg is arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

bluemax

Banned
The dbacks dropped 15.5 million for McCrathy? I don't see the value, at all.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccarbr01.shtml

He's had a winning record twice and 4.00+ era. What a waste.

You just used win loss record and era when discussing a players value. Shame on you. Go sit in the corner and wear this dunce cap.

Guy was worth 4.8 WAR two seasons ago! Might've topped 3 had he not got nearly decapitated last year.

Maxim726X

Ugh. Apparently the Mets may actually entertain extending Dickey...

I hope it's a ploy to get more offers, because that's the dumbest thing the team could do.

Ugh. Apparently the Mets may actually entertain extending Dickey...

I hope it's a ploy to get more offers, because that's the dumbest thing the team could do.
Man the Gose and Arencibia rumors sounds good to me. At the same time, Sandy shouldnt just settle for any trade. The guy won a Cy Young with a pitch that should let him pitch for a few more solid years.

Zep

Banned
Get a motivated Micheal Young...I'm good with that. LOL @ Texas having to pay an extra million to get rid of him.

edit: Nobody is losing sleep over Josh Lindblom. Give me a break.

Jon

Fuck thissss. I blame you Enron! Sighhhhhhhhhhhh.

At least you get Lindplop...every time he enters a game is akin to a greasy, corn-filled turd sliding out your ass and plopping into the water. So enjoy that.

JABEE

Jeff Passan said:
Source believes Phillies still primed to do something "big." Anything from pursuing Hamilton to a late Greinke run to trade for outfielder.

Jeff Passan said:
And anyone who knows Ruben Amaro Jr. knows he does not tend to traffic in bits and pieces. He likes splashes, and he's got room for one.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/277512546947313664

Bob Nightengale said:
You can"t help but wonder what #Phillies GM Ruben Amaro has up sleeve next? Hamilton? Greinke?

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/277524434858946561

What?

I want Giancarlo Stanton!

JaMarco

Damn, just a little while ago everyone was talking as if Greinke to TX was almost a done deal.
That's a bargain for Greinke. $24m through his prime years? Can't believe no one went higher.
A lot of big market teams weren't in on him because of his "anxiety issues".

eznark

Banned
I'm honestly disappointed the Brewers didn't match that. That is absolutely a doable contract for Milwaukee and they'll never have an opportunity like that again.

Depressing.

Top Bottom