• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

That's a bargain for Greinke. $24m through his prime years? Can't believe no one went higher.
That's what gets you ~5 WAR or so on the open market, right? He's been hovering around that mark for the past 3 seasons. So I don't know how much surplus value you'd get in the next few seasons before he approaches his mid-30s at the back end of that contract. Plus, there's the injury/anxiety risks.

eznark

Banned
That's ~5 WAR or so right? He's been hovering around that mark for the past 3 seasons. So I don't know how much surplus value you'd get in the next few seasons before he approaches his mid-30s at the back end of that contract. Plus, there's the injury/anxiety risks.

$20m ish is what I would expect to pay for him today. The Dodgers get to pay that for him in 2018 when he is 34. By then a guy like Dumpster will probably be getting $35m a year. This is a really good deal.

They are paying the 2012 ace rate for the next six years.

cashman

Banned
The Dodgers have 198mil tied up in 18 players not including greinke. Their payroll is going to be something like 215mil not counting all the roster fillers.

$20m ish is what I would expect to pay for him today. The Dodgers get to pay that for him in 2018 when he is 34. By then a guy like Dumpster will probably be getting $35m a year. This is a really good deal.

Sure, backloading the contract and waiting for inflation to do its work will make it work more easily. But paying $20 million for him today is pretty much paying market value for him - FG has him worth 20.4, 18.1, 22.8 million in the last 3 seasons. You're not getting much of a bargain here unless he gets an uptick in production.

Also note that he's underperformed his peripherals since 2010. bWAR isn't nearly as rosy on him as fWAR is. Combined with the injury risk that comes with offering long term deals to pitchers, it's perfectly reasonable why more teams didn't jump into the fray with similar deals. The Dodgers will be fine though since they're swimming in money. Not sure it would've been wise for a smaller market team to compete with that kind of an offer.

Malo

Banned
Not a bad deal for the dodgers.

It makes me wonder how much Cain and Hamels could have gotten if they didn't sign extensions.

eznark

Banned
Sure, backloading the contract and waiting for inflation to do its work will make it work more easily. But paying $20 million for him today is pretty much paying market value for him - FG has him worth 20.4, 18.1, 22.8 million in the last 3 seasons. You're not getting much of a bargain here unless he gets an uptick in production.

Also note that he's underperformed his peripherals since 2010. bWAR isn't nearly as rosy on him as fWAR is. Combined with the injury risk that comes with offering long term deals to pitchers, it's perfectly reasonable why more teams didn't jump into the fray with similar deals. The Dodgers will be fine though since they're swimming in money. Not sure it would've been wise for a smaller market team to compete with that kind of an offer.

bWAR isn't rosey on anyone. That's why no one gives a shit about fakeWAR.

He's not an ace. What a shit contract for the dodgers.

eznark

Banned
Stick with trueWAR then. Do you think his age 29, 30, 31 seasons will outperform his age 26, 27, 28 seasons enough to cover the overpayment during his age 32, 33, 34 seasons?

I'd say yes almost solely based on not pitching in front of the Brewers defense and the ballpark.

Also, while he can pitch with velocity he doesn't necessarily rely on it. I could see him having a much longer plateau.

I'd say yes almost solely based on not pitching in front of the Brewers defense and the ballpark.
Then why did you want your team to match that contract? :lol Never mind that trueWAR for pitchers don't factor in team defense and Grienke's xFIP has been higher than his FIP in 2 of the last 3 seasons (probably because he only had one full season in MIL to hurt his HR rate numbers).
Also, while he can pitch with velocity he doesn't necessarily rely on it. I could see him having a much longer plateau.
I won't pretend to know if he can pitch well into his 30s without a dropoff in performance so I'll just nod here. I'm sure pitchers with long plateaus are a very small minority.

eznark

Banned
Then why did you want your team to match that contract? :lol Never mind that trueWAR for pitchers don't factor in team defense and Grienke's xFIP has been higher than his FIP in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

I won't pretend to know if he can pitch well into his 30s without a dropoff in performance so I'll just nod here. I'm sure pitchers with long plateaus are a very small minority.

Because I would take his performance at that level for $25m/year obviously! Not like the Brewers will be able to afford shot pitcher contracts easier in the future. They need to win with Braun and Gallardo. Small window.

Because I would take his performance at that level for $25m/year obviously! Not like the Brewers will be able to afford shot pitcher contracts easier in the future. They need to win with Braun and Gallardo. Small window.
Didn't your young pitchers do really well last season? Or do you think that was a mirage?

Dodgers have a $220 million payroll now? And they're gonna have to give Kershaw a massive extension in a year or two, no?

merchant.png

No wonder they were trying to trade Ethier.

Brinbe

Dodgers have that money to burn, they don't give a shit... at least this means that the first domino has fallen and more signings/trades will follow.

Puddles

Banned
Honestly, I'll take Kershaw/Greinke/Bills in a playoff series against anyone. If Ryu Hyun-Jin works out, we've got four solid starters, and anything Beckett can give beyond being a serviceable #5 is just a bonus.

Top Bottom