• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

zulux21

THey signed a multi-billion dollar TV deal (or are at least close to signing). That revenue alone will cover a majority of their payroll, even if it goes over $200 million.

If it goes oevr 200mil?
it's currently sitting at 205mil on cots baseball contracts, and that doesn't seem to include the contract just inked today nor some other players (it's that with 19 players) plus from what I am reading they owe Manny Ramirez over 8mil for next season and Andruw Jones over 3mil for next season that doesn't seem to be taken into account either... meaning their payroll for next season is currently sitting at something like 222mil which would be the highest payroll in history if I am not mistaken.

Even not counting the payments owed to manny and jones you are looking at around 211 mil. Add in the other 5 players cost on the team and they should be a lock in to beat the highest team cost of $213,359,389 by the 2010 yankees.

RMooneyTBO
#Rays appear to be working out a trade that will send Shields and Davis to Royals.

TBTimes_Rays
Hearing #Rays have traded Shields AND Davis to #Royals. Working on confirmation and return

oh man. this is actually happening.
eek if the royals get some pitching they will be scary
This whole push by the Royals to compete is built on some weird school of thought that they're somehow a couple pieces a way from competing. Moore is panicking and they will pay in the long run. Myers will probably signed to a 10-year/60 million dollar deal by May.

Sadly, the Santana trade and Guthrie re-signing were part of this "push to compete."

They royals have a solid hitting line up and a good defending team. The main reason they weren't winning is because their pitching was terrible. If they can get decent pitching I have little doubt that they could be in the race come sept.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
RMooneyTBO
It’s official. #Rays trade Shields/Davis and PTBN to KC for OF Wil Myers, RHP Jake Odorizzi, LHP Mike Montgomery and 3B Patrick Leonard

thank you based dayton

cashman

Banned
robneyer ‏@robneyer
My quick take: This is the worst trade in MLB history unless Wade Davis becomes a good starter, in which case it's only the second worst.

Also, James shields has a pretty big home/away split.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All this being said I'll really miss Shields.

Dude was so awesome. It was just amazing how he remade himself as a pitcher after that fucking trainwreck of a 2010 season.

Someone really should let Dayton Moore know that The Contest ended a long time ago...

Seriously, though: Dayton should never be allowed to evaluate major league talent ever again. He seems to know what he's doing when it comes to drafting, but that's always outdone by his weakness for veterans. My condolences, Royals fans.

(Though, I mean, who knows? It's not as if they play in a very tough division. It's not inconceivable that they could put together 83-85 wins and challenge for first.)

RBH

This whole push by the Royals to compete is built on some weird school of thought that they're somehow a couple pieces a way from competing. Moore is panicking and they will pay in the long run. Myers will probably signed to a 10-year/60 million dollar deal by May.

Yup.

Holy shit @ that final trade. What the fuck ?why are the Royals giving up so much? If the Mariners got that for King Felix I don't know that I'd even be mad, and the Royals gave it up for Shields?!?!?!?

Kansas City:
excuse-me-what-the-fuck-are-you-doing-shark.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm upset about this because it means that Alex Gordon is more than likely off the table now. Where were you Wren? We could have got this done for Hanson and Venters!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I see Dayton Moore still sucks at trades.

edit: well wade davis is under contract for awhile, so I guess that's nice if you want a shitty starter or a overpriced reliever.

newjeruse

They royals have a solid hitting line up and a good defending team. The main reason they weren't winning is because their pitching was terrible. If they can get decent pitching I have little doubt that they could be in the race come sept.
Eh, they were 2nd to last in the AL in team wRC+ and middle of the package defensively. Shields is now their only starter who projects to be above average. That's nice and everything, but they're an 80 win team if everything breaks right.

The worst part is all the (probably) false hope that's building up for the last few years. In say, 2007, we were in a comfy vacuum of any optimism and could just blissfully assume they'd be lousy for the next 20 years. It's hard to be disappointed when you have no expectations. Then we put together that beautiful, historically great farm system with players like, you know... Wil Myers and Mike Montgomery. And Jake Odorizzi. :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What exactly happened to Montgomery? Why'd he turn into a total trainwreck?

Wonder if the Rays can salvage anything out of him. Would be nice.

Maxim726X

The worst part is all the (probably) false hope that's building up for the last few years. In say, 2007, we were in a comfy vacuum of any optimism and could just blissfully assume they'd be lousy for the next 20 years. It's hard to be disappointed when you have no expectations. Then we put together that beautiful, historically great farm system with players like, you know... Wil Myers and Mike Montgomery. And Jake Odorizzi. :(

I'm sorry man... That's a long time to wait only to be let down.

Askani

I'm tired he says. About to go to bed he says. Check the news real quick he says. What's the harm in that he says.

Royals big trade what?

FUCK. THIS. BULLSHIT.

You are not 1-2 pitchers away from the playoffs. You could have had Myers for like, 6 years. 6 years over motherfucking negative WAR but 'great clubhouse guy' Francoeur.

What a joke.

Top Bottom