• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Doogdogg

Dodgers Sign Hyun-Jin Ryu
By Edward Creech [December 9 at 4:08pm CST]

The Dodgers have signed Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

--------------

lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Because he plays veterans no matter what.
Lot of managers/coaches suffer from this

Baseball is a little more forgiving than other sports but being competitive and nurturing young talent can be tough duty at times

Is that the only knock on him?

Enron

Banned
I am not a fan of the Rangers but on the outside looking in he looks pretty good

surprise.jpg

Blackace

Ron Washington is an awful game manager. This team wins in spite of him. Bad decisions, all day erryday.

Pretty vague

So you think he doesn't help the team at all and they still win despite him

Interesting

cashman

Banned
Really? How so? I am not a fan of the Rangers but on the outside looking in he looks pretty good

- Obsessed with small ball despite having an outstanding hitting team
- Terrible bullpen management
- Does not bother to shake things up when regulars are doing poorly. (Eg: Michael Young had 650 PAs last season.)
- He absolutely hates young players, and doesn't give them opportunities to develop at the big league level.

And yes, they do manage to win despite him.

Blackace

- Obsessed with small ball despite having an outstanding hitting team
- Terrible bullpen management
- Does not bother to shake things up when regulars are doing poorly. (Eg: Michael Young had 650 PAs last season.)
- He absolutely hates young players, and doesn't give them opportunities to develop at the big league level.

And yes, they do manage to win despite him.

Smallball with the Rangers lineup is indeed baffling

However not shaking things up and letting players work through funks has resulted in wins no?

Going to make an effort to see a bit more of him next year 

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

However not shaking things up and letting players work through funks has resulted in wins no?

Rewatch the 2011 world series for quick highlights of Wash-ball.

cashman

Banned

Yeah he's fiercly loyal and that's what makes players love him, but at the same time his refusal to shake up the lineup really drags the team down. Kinsler was struggling all year last year and he never moved out of the lead off spot, and Napoli in 2011 never really hit above 7th or 8th. The lineup is locked from about July onwards

edit: Oh yeah, completely forgot about Washington not knowing how to manage in interleague games.

clemenx

Banned
Washington alone has made me rethink my stance of managers not really having to be different in AL than NL. It's like she goes full idiot in the World Series.

Blackace

playing smallball but not knowing how to manage interleague is spooky

We should know soon.

Also this little fact escape me:
In June, the Dodgers signed 21-year-old Cuban defector Yasiel Puig to a seven-year, $42-million contract.

LMAO they print money in Dodgers Stadium or something?

THey signed a multi-billion dollar TV deal (or are at least close to signing). That revenue alone will cover a majority of their payroll, even if it goes over $200 million.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
RMooneyTBO
#Rays appear to be working out a trade that will send Shields and Davis to Royals.

TBTimes_Rays
Hearing #Rays have traded Shields AND Davis to #Royals. Working on confirmation and return

oh man. this is actually happening.

Wonder if it will be Hosmer instead of Myers. Either way, doesn't Shields have one year remaining on his contract before he will be due for a big payday? What's the endgame here for KC? To trade for him so that they can turn around and re-trade him at the deadline when they are in 4th place?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wonder if it will be Hosmer instead of Myers. Either way, doesn't Shields have one year remaining on his contract before he will be due for a big payday? What's the endgame here for KC? To trade for him so that they can turn around and re-trade him at the deadline when they are in 4th place?

Gross. Do not want. At all.

Shields contract:

13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout)
14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)

Shields alone should have been enough to get Myers (its Dayton). Will be pretty bummed if its a 2 for 1.

Gross. Do not want. At all.

Shields contract:

13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout)
14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)

Shields alone should have been enough to get Myers (its Dayton). Will be pretty bummed if its a 2 for 1.

hmm 2 years remaining at non-crazy money would probably warrant trading Myers, especially since the Royals were already shopping him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
jcrasnick
Hearing that Shields, Davis and Myers aren't only names in trade. It's bigger than that, source said. #rays #royals

hmm 2 years remaining at non-crazy money would probably warrant trading Myers, especially since the Royals were already shopping him.

I'd agree if the Royals were close to competing. This is such a bizarre deal for them - they haven't made any other moves at all that would indicate they're in it to win it now. James Shields is not going to turn a 72 win team into a playoff team.

newjeruse

This whole push by the Royals to compete is built on some weird school of thought that they're somehow a couple pieces a way from competing. Moore is panicking and they will pay in the long run. Myers will probably signed to a 10-year/60 million dollar deal by May.
jcrasnick
I'd agree if the Royals were close to competing. This is such a bizarre deal for them - they haven't made any other moves at all that would indicate they're in it to win it now. James Shields is not going to turn a 72 win team into a playoff team.
Sadly, the Santana trade and Guthrie re-signing were part of this "push to compete."

Top Bottom