• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

rando14

Of course not. But what exactly are you enjoying about this offseason though?

Mariners have had 3 straight years of a team OBP under .300. Literally 3 of the worst years in the history of baseball for any team offensively. They've done literally nothing to upgrade their team. They signed Jason Bay of all people.

I'm of the philosophy that the Mariners should cultivate their young players. No reasonable acquisition this offseason would have really made that big of a difference, and I don't see the M's going to the playoffs in the next couple of years, esp. since the AL West will be dominated by the Rangers and Angels due to the big bats they have. Jason Bay for $1 mil is absolutely fine, there's no risk there and he can only help.

Smoak has potential (if he gets his head out of his ass), Ackley has potential, Seager has potential, Saunders has potential, Montero has potential (or so I've been told by Yankee GAF). We have good pitching, and some very promising young talent down in the minors.

Hamilton wouldn't have done us much good in the long run.

New speculation out that the Angels will now try to flip Peter Bourjos to the Mets for R.A. Dickey.
not-sure-if-want-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-674.gif

Josh Hamilton: 5 yrs, $125 million, worth 16.9 WAR last three years. Ryan Howard: 5 yrs, $125 million, worth 2.1 WAR last three years. #LOL
lol.
2-Sexy-Laugh-Gif1.gif

jbug617

Banned
According to Will Carrol the Red Sox want Napoli to take less years with the same avg per year and if he doesn't want to the Sox will go to Swisher.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Torii Hunter already firing shots at the Angels on Twitter.

Really stupid.

The Angels allocated a budget in the offseason with the intentions of keeping Greinke. They lost out on Greinke and then simply signed Hamilton. I don't even understand how Torii feels like he got slighted.

Supposedly, the Braves made an aggressive push for Shin-Soo Choo but were not willing to give up Julio Teheran or Randall Delgado for one year of Choo control.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Supposedly, the Braves made an aggressive push for Shin-Soo Choo but were not willing to give up Julio Teheran or Randall Delgado for one year of Choo control.
But they were willing to give up Delgado for half a season of Dumpster. Bizarre.

Macattk15

Jesus fucking christ.

Not only can Jack Z not fork up enough $$$ to stop Hamilton from returning to his former team ... he signs with another division rival and only makes things even worse for the M's.

If they don't fucking sign Swisher now I'm going to be pretty fed up with this front office and team at this point.

And now ... when the team went to Felix for a possible extension this offseason he basically told them to hold off. He knows. He knows the Mariners will forever fucking suck. Trade him now while we can get a lot of shit for him.

It's our only hope.

Jesus fucking christ.

Not only can Jack Z not fork up enough $$$ to stop Hamilton from returning to his former team ... he signs with another division rival and only makes things even worse for the M's.

If they don't fucking sign Swisher now I'm going to be pretty fed up with this front office and team at this point.

And now ... when the team went to Felix for a possible extension this offseason he basically told them to hold off. He knows. He knows the Mariners will forever fucking suck. Trade him now while we can get a lot of shit for him.

It's our only hope.

You really wanted to give 5 years to Hamilton?

The Angels are already going to be regretting that deal after three seasons. The Mariners were shrewd not to give any more than three years.

Opiate

It'll be fun watching Pujols and Hamilton break down together.

Yes, the Angels certainly have front loaded their opportunities. If they don't win the WS in the next 2 years, they're looking at several years of very expensive, aging, rickety players at a variety of positions. Thank goodness that Mike Trout panned out for them, because otherwise they'd be a Cubs like disaster.

zulux21

"In 2016, LAA will have about $90 million locked up in Hamilton (35 years old), CJ (35), Weaver (33) and Pujols (36)."

I think I am spoiled by white sox players lol
konerko at 36 and aj Pierzynski at 35 had awesome seasons so those ages just don't sound that bad lol

that being said, even in their prime 90 mil for those 4 players would be horrible for my team who rarely goes much past 100mil.... 10mil to form the rest of a team will just make a team full of holes, though I suppose if the angels spend like the dodgers or yankees they will be fine.

How long do you guys really think Hamilton is going to stay off of drugs/caffeine/etc in LA?

when was the first time hamilton visted LA, as that would be when he first got on them :p
I doubt he will avoid them it's just a matter of if they will effect his performance

Macattk15

You really wanted to give 5 years to Hamilton?

The Angels are already going to be regretting that deal after three seasons. The Mariners were shrewd not to give any more than three years.

No I didn't want to give Hamilton 5 years ... but its not my fucking money. Watch them give 5 years to Michael Bourn or some shit and have him immediately Figgins-out.

No I didn't want to give Hamilton 5 years ... but its not my fucking money. Watch them give 5 years to Michael Bourn or some shit and have him immediately Figgins-out.

Bourn really did have a garbage second half for the Braves. And he wasn't injured either. I think he fell in love with those home runs he was suddenly hitting in June.

Top Bottom