• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

JABEE

I hope whenever Mike Trout is a free agent he signs with the Yankees.

He's already said he wants to come to the Phillies. He's a huge Philadelphia sports fan who was still talking about the Phillies like they were his team when the Phillies traded for Roy Halladay. He's from Millville, NJ.

He's spent his offseason tailgating and going to Eagles games. He's a season ticket holder.

sangreal

Their OF is Gomes-Ellsbury-Victorino and theoretically Napoli is at 1B. So unless they're trading Jacoby or Napoli's deal falls apart, no.

Swisher easily takes Gomes spot in the outfield, and can back up Napoli (if Napoli even still gets signed) at 1B

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Jesus fucking christ.

Not only can Jack Z not fork up enough $$$ to stop Hamilton from returning to his former team ... he signs with another division rival and only makes things even worse for the M's.

If they don't fucking sign Swisher now I'm going to be pretty fed up with this front office and team at this point.

And now ... when the team went to Felix for a possible extension this offseason he basically told them to hold off. He knows. He knows the Mariners will forever fucking suck. Trade him now while we can get a lot of shit for him.

It's our only hope.

Seattle has never been a free agent hotbed

But I refuse to trade away another HoFer if he walks he walks*

*I reserve the right to change my mind later

Five years to Hamilton?

1348148278139.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
he is only 28/29 and has been quite good the past three seasons. I don't see anything wrong with giving him 5 years.

He's already said he wants to come to the Phillies. He's a huge Philadelphia sports fan who was still talking about the Phillies like they were his team when the Phillies traded for Roy Halladay. He's from Millville, NJ.

He's spent his offseason tailgating and going to Eagles games. He's a season ticket holder.

noooooo.gif
I didn't know that. I thought he was a NY fan...

BFIB

Him going back to Detroit for 3/45 or something like that makes sense. Or hell, even the Angels, but do the Cubs really think they will be competing in the next few years?

aFIGurANT

Even the Cubs are making bigger moves than the Cards this offseason.

Someone in the NL Central was picking up Lohse or similar this offseason to just stay afloat. Meanwhile we get to be what the M's with money could be - patient on the pitching while CCarp/Westbrook still get it done and letting Beltran's production fade into the Oscar Taveras-era Cardinals.

BFIB

Someone in the NL Central was picking up Lohse or similar this offseason to just stay afloat. Meanwhile we get to be what the M's with money could be - patient on the pitching while CCarp/Westbrook still get it done and letting Beltran's production fade into the Oscar Taveras-era Cardinals.

I know the Cards really don't have to make any big changes. I still would have liked to have a dependable SS and a deeper bench.

Windu

pitching is only going to get more expensive as the years go by. When you account for the market inflation as well as just the general currency inflation, 15 million will look a lot cheaper toward the end of the deal. If the cubs think he can stick around and be a key ingredient to their transition to a competitive team in a few years it kinda makes sense to get him now because a pitcher of his quality will be much more expensive when they are competitive in a few years.

Link

The Autumn Wind
pitching is only going to get more expensive as the years go by. When you account for the market inflation as well as just the general currency inflation, 15 million will look a lot cheaper toward the end of the deal. If the cubs think he can stick around and be a key ingredient to their transition to a competitive team in a few years it kinda makes sense to get him now because a pitcher of his quality will be much more expensive when they are competitive in a few years.
I'm curious to see how long it takes for the first nine-figure yearly salary. It sounds like an insane figure that would never happen, but we were saying that about $25 million a year just a decade ago.

rando14

I'm curious to see how long it takes for the first nine-figure yearly salary. It sounds like an insane figure that would never happen, but we were saying that about $25 million a year just a decade ago.

9 figure yearly? God I hope I never see that.

Fenix

I don't think I will live that long.

Windu

its amazing when you look back at that A-Rod Rangers deal. he was getting 25 per year on average back in 2001! that deal was fucking huge.

Blackace

We will have to reboot baseball

Vernon Wells is going to be making $20 million a year to be the Angels 4th or 5th OF now. You have to think that they trade Trumbo and Bourjus for a starter now though. Mayne Morales too and make Hamilton the DH to keep him healthier?

agreed. Sanchez is a quality pitcher. Dempster in the other hand, is not as good. Never been a Dempster fan.

Blackace

Surely they'll have to implement some kind of cap at some point. Otherwise the small-market teams might as well not even be in the league.
It is close to that already when Arod's contract could have bought the Twins and got change back

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Surely they'll have to implement some kind of cap at some point. Otherwise the small-market teams might as well not even be in the league.
I don't know, the recent CBA made shit even harder for small market teams so I don't really think MLB gives much of a shit. If nothing else, they should have more equitable revenue sharing on TV deals. The Twins are in the bottom-middle of the TV deals and their deal is $29 million annually. Other teams are absolutely blowing that out of the water. And the small market teams can't spend extra on the draft or in international free agency due to the hard slots and massive penalties for spending out of slot. Ugh.

Top Bottom