• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Small market teams can compete. They will always be able to compete, the system is designed where you can win without spending tons of money. There are teams who consistently compete year in and year out like the Rays. Small market franchises that are shit would still be shit even if they were spending more money.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I don't know, the recent CBA made shit even harder for small market teams so I don't really think MLB gives much of a shit. If nothing else, they should have more equitable revenue sharing on TV deals. The Twins are in the bottom-middle of the TV deals and their deal is $29 million annually. Other teams are absolutely blowing that out of the water. And the small market teams can't spend extra on the draft or in international free agency due to the hard slots and massive penalties for spending out of slot. Ugh.

That's still a better situation than what the Braves have to deal with.

Branduil

I don't know, the recent CBA made shit even harder for small market teams so I don't really think MLB gives much of a shit. If nothing else, they should have more equitable revenue sharing on TV deals. The Twins are in the bottom-middle of the TV deals and their deal is $29 million annually. Other teams are absolutely blowing that out of the water. And the small market teams can't spend extra on the draft or in international free agency due to the hard slots and massive penalties for spending out of slot. Ugh.

Selig can't live forever... can he?

Remember the last offseason that the Dodgers signed the top pitcher and the Angels signed the top hitter?

301scan-120205-0059.jpg

Still remember the cover of the LA Times predicting a Freeway Series that October.

Maxim726X

If Alderson is going to deal Dickey, the time has to be close... There's really no one left. All of the major pitchers have been signed, and now it's time for teams to one up each other.

I'm hoping for a nice package.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Small market teams can compete. They will always be able to compete, the system is designed where you can win without spending tons of money. There are teams who consistently compete year in and year out like the Rays. Small market franchises that are shit would still be shit even if they were spending more money.

I agree and slightly disagree..Sure farm systems are maybe the most important aspect of baseball franchises.. but

It sucks to make a little run and then lose your homegrown player because NY can offer him more than your team is worth

Blackace

You must have missed MLB's legendary "Turn Ahead the Clock" disaster:

1futureunis_display_image.jpg

990483956_784d3b8ef9_o_display_image.jpg

3803913295_6be7845cd4.jpg

M's xtreme unis were awesome!!

I like the Giants ones for real..

Besides that was like a gimmick, I meant like these are our unis this is what we really think our franchise is

Blackace

Junior was a lot more ripped than I remember too. And I had no idea he got his own Nike logo tattooed on his arm.

Young Jr was a beast... a true beast..

Older Jr was sad sight to see.. His father aged better than him :(

Hope one of his sons makes the MLB

thefro

pitching is only going to get more expensive as the years go by. When you account for the market inflation as well as just the general currency inflation, 15 million will look a lot cheaper toward the end of the deal. If the cubs think he can stick around and be a key ingredient to their transition to a competitive team in a few years it kinda makes sense to get him now because a pitcher of his quality will be much more expensive when they are competitive in a few years.

Cubs seem to be planning to attempt to be competitive in 2014 based on the deals they've been giving out. Granted Sanchez would be the first big move if it actually happens and it's not his agent trolling the Tigers for more money.

cashman

Banned
The Marlins could reverse their stance on trading Giancarlo Stanton, opines MLB.com's Joe Frisaro, if the Rangers are desperate to add another big bat and were willing to offer Jurickson Profar or Mike Olt in a deal. Frisaro also thinks Miami could be a trade match with the Angels as Peter Bourjos "has been on the Marlins' radar for a while."
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#xPsjTlqUuSg2z2oZ.99

I would totally do this even if it meant trading Profar.

The Red Sox wanted Napoli to accept a 2-year, $26 million deal instead. Napoli looks like he's going to decline it and remain a free agent. Something in his physical scared off the Red Sox.

Opiate

I just noticed that Torii Hunter was actually a better player last year than Hamilton was according to both Fangraphs and Baseball-Reference.

This does not mean that Torii was a better sign, just that the Angels aren't likely to see improvement year over year from the position. 2013 Josh Hamilton is unlikely to be better than 2012 Torii Hunter was.

Branduil

I just noticed that Torii Hunter was actually a better player last year than Hamilton was according to both Fangraphs and Baseball-Reference.

This does not mean that Torii was a better sign, just that the Angels aren't likely to see improvement year over year from the position. 2013 Josh Hamilton is unlikely to be better than 2012 Torii Hunter was.

Especially if he starts snorting coke again.

BFIB

Cards sign Ty Wiggington.

I'm OK with the move, as he provides some RH depth, and a solid bench backup.

I think the Cards are pretty much done. Another year of questions at SS, can't wait!

Top Bottom