• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yes.
He's making more than Dickey this year. LOL
nathan-fillion-reaction-gif.gif

Fenix

It really is a good trade for both teams.

Edit: Now officially official, the extension is 2/24 with 12m club option.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Schattenjäger;45522330 said:
This is a great trade -

I could never imagine it happening under Minaya

Minaya was the one who signed Dickey in the first place to a minor league contract no less.

I don't see Alderson as the type to be creative enough (read: desperate) to sign a knuckleballer the way Minaya did.

Prade

"Now that its official, I want to say that I don't have the words to express how grateful I am to you for the steadfast support and encouragement I received from all of you.Ive always felt that there was a connection beyond the uniform.Thank you for making me feel wanted. Looking forward to a new chapter with the Jays."

Fucking love RA. Hope he kills the AL.

It really is a good trade for both teams.

Edit: Now officially official, the extension is 2/24 with 12m club option.

If Dickey doesn't slip much performance-wise over the next 4 seasons, that is an amazingly team-friendly contract. Hell, even if he does regress a little, it should still be a good contract for the Jays.

Kak.efes

Is Kardinal available for a Flo Rida inspired "we already won" song?

YCfqe.gif

The Blue Jays are gonna bring the world series back where it belongs. Canada!

Sanjuro

Toronto is the worst current sports city in North America. Minus hackey out of the equation, they've got to get some revenue flowing somewhere.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Toronto is the worst current sports city in North America. Minus hackey out of the equation, they've got to get some revenue flowing somewhere.

Not even close.

The Raptors are 6-19 and still draw 18,000 per game. Our teams have sucked for years but the fans stick with them.

Tampa Bay had 90 wins last year and the lowest attendance in the league.

Sanjuro

Not even close.

The Raptors are 6-19 and still draw 18,000 per game. Our teams have sucked for years but the fans stick with them.

Tampa Bay had 90 wins last year and the lowest attendance in the league.

Not talking about attendance, talking about primarily the product.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

You got to win for your fans sometimes.. can't really blame the fans if none of their teams produced any hope..

Sanjuro

I'm sure attendance can be better. I don't have the numbers handy, so I'm not going to get into that argument. Regardless, they are probably lower-tier.

Toronto is sitting on oil basically. The Maple Leafs are a prime example. There is no hope for the Raptors, and there is no hockey. Get the Jays up and running and you are going to have some nice profit margins.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm sure attendance can be better. I don't have the numbers handy, so I'm not going to get into that argument. Regardless, they are probably lower-tier.

Toronto is sitting on oil basically. The Maple Leafs are a prime example. There is no hope for the Raptors, and there is no hockey. Get the Jays up and running and you are going to have some nice profit margins.
Hey man, the Argonauts just won the Grey Cup.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Not talking about attendance, talking about primarily the product.

Ah, sorry, you mentioned hockey so that threw me, cause they suck too lol

Jays were 23rd in attendance last year but they tend to do really good TV numbers here and since the owners also own the sports station they have the cash to bump up the payroll as they've done.

jbug617

Banned

The MLB strike in the 90's help kill baseball attendance in Toronto. They won 2 championships and then a strike happens.

aFIGurANT

Is it just me or did the Toronto PR people fail to show the guy throwing his pitch? It doesn't look like he has his middle fingers in the place for a knuckleball at all. This is not what I want to see if I'm a Jay fan, that's for sure.

I did not know this many Jays' fans existed.

I might have posted in here once or twice before, early in the season... but after June what was ever the point?

The Cito years were depressing, and the Farrell years were just plain weird - and ended horribly.

In terms of fan numbers, the Jays enjoy good support across the country. It's always a good buzz to head down to a Jays - Mariners game (this year was the first year since 2008 that I didn't), and see the Jays' fans outnumber the home fans.

And speaking of the Mariners, imagine if they'd kept kept the pitching talent they've had since 2008. Right now they'd be starting 2013 with Felix, Dickey, Morrow, Fister and Pineda. Incredible.

rando14

I might have posted in here once or twice before, early in the season... but after June what was ever the point?

The Cito years were depressing, and the Farrell years were just plain weird - and ended horribly.

In terms of fan numbers, the Jays enjoy good support across the country. It's always a good buzz to head down to a Jays - Mariners game (this year was the first year since 2008 that I didn't), and see the Jays' fans outnumber the home fans.

And speaking of the Mariners, imagine if they'd kept kept the pitching talent they've had since 2008. Right now they'd be starting 2013 with Felix, Dickey, Morrow, Fister and Pineda. Incredible.

Eh, pitching is the least of the Mariners concerns. I miss Fister, but not the other 3. Dickey was lame for the M's.

Yep. There's a reason Toronto had the highest payroll in baseball going into the strike years. Different situation now, obviously, but yeah...the Leafs are, apparently, worth over $1 billion. I'm sure the Jays could easily become (or, I guess, sustain being) a top 10 team in terms of revenue/attendance and spending.

Parch

The Marlin deal was better for the Jays talent wise, but for pure value this Dickey deal is great. Trading prospects for a Cy Young winner and breaking even moneywise is a deal I'd do every time.

We'll see how Dickey does in the AL. I certainly hope for continued quality, but I like that he's a horse that can lead the league in IP. That's huge in keeping the bullpen fresh.

OK Blue Jays. This has been an unbelievable off season and the optimism is through the Skydome roof. I'll never forget the glory times with the back-to-back World Series, but this is some exciting anticipation for Blue Jay history. Win or lose, I'm loving this.

Top Bottom