• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I guess he might be a good bench bat, but I would only be willing to do something like that if the angels paid ALL of his salary which isn't going to happen. And besides gattis will probably be ready late this year and would be a decent bat off the bench as well. The only thing Wells has going for him is some decent power.

edit: also this is amazing:

7yhy8.jpg

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2012/1...ng-vernon-wells-i-lose-will-to-live#133537333

Whoa there partner, I don't want any part of Wells. I was talking about Brown.

Going into the 2011 season, Andruw Jones still held an auspicious Braves record. In the 2004 season, Jones had a fine season for the Braves. He acquired his 7th of what would be 10 consecutive Gold Gloves. He also proved reliable with the bat, smacking 29 home runs and driving in 91 runs. The only sore spot on his year was that he struck out 147 times, which was a Braves franchise record.

In the last two seasons, Jones has gone from the top of the list all the way down to fifth. Thanks to the swing-and-miss exploits of Dan Uggla, Michael Bourn, and Jason Heyward, Jones is nowhere close to his old record.

#1: Dan Uggla - 168 strikeouts in 2012
#2: Dan Uggla - 156 strikeouts in 2011
#3: Michael Bourn - 155 strikeouts in 2012
#4: Jason Heyward - 152 strikeouts in 2012
#5: Andruw Jones - 147 strikeouts in 2004

dan%2Buggla.jpg

Macattk15

God damnit Jeff Sullivan.

On the topic of Felix and how hard it is to catch his pitches ...

"Have you seen the guy's fucking pitches? If we were hanging out and I asked you to make a face like you were vomiting your own testicles, you wouldn't know what to do. That's the face that every catcher and every umpire must make every time Felix so much as attempts a pick-off throw. "

snack

FUN VERNON WELLS FACTS:

The Blue Jays paid Vernon Wells $47,201,00 for 11 years of service (1999-2010), including $5M paid to the Angels in the trade.
(1393 Games Played, 5963 PA, 223 HR, .804 OPS, 26.0 bWAR)

The Angels have paid him $42,187,500 for 2 years of service (2011 & 2012) so far.
(208 Games Played, 791 PA, 36 HR, .667 OPS, -0.3 bWAR)

He still has $42,000,000 left on his contract for the next 2 years.
lol

I can only guess the Howard contract has warped his sense of value. Wasn't yankeehater also hoping the Phillies would win the Hamilton sweepstakes?

I just dont care about money at all. Phils arnt a small market team that has to worry about keeping payroll down. I was definitely hoping they would get Hamilton. Guy is great offensive player, and the Phils desperately need to add some power for the next 2 years. Anything after their window is 100% closed is totally irrelevant to me.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I might actually go to a game if the Jays put grass in. The carpet they have now is an eyesore in person.

I've always dreamed of the Jays having an actual ballpark and not the concrete jungle they are in now.

I know its impossible though since we don't have space anywhere in Toronto to set up a new stadium.

Fenix

I've always dreamed of the Jays having an actual ballpark and not the concrete jungle they are in now.

I know its impossible though since we don't have space anywhere in Toronto to set up a new stadium.
The RC location is actually pretty perfect for a ballpark if you could, y'know, look out at the skyline. The Jays would need to find somewhere temporary to play for the couple of years it would take to build a new stadium on the same location and that's never gonna happen.

Actually, something I'd do if I had untold billions, would be to build a stadium on the islands. Of course this would take a ridiculously large infrastructure investment, building out whatever island fits the stadium, probably would need TTC access, a pedestrian bridge, etc. But just imagine, getting to look out on the water and the skyline? So nice. And also probably really fucking cold in April.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The RC location is actually pretty perfect for a ballpark if you could, y'know, look out at the skyline. The Jays would need to find somewhere temporary to play for the couple of years it would take to build a new stadium on the same location and that's never gonna happen.

Actually, something I'd do if I had untold billions, would be to build a stadium on the islands. Of course this would take a ridiculously large infrastructure investment, building out whatever island fits the stadium, probably would need TTC access, a pedestrian bridge, etc. But just imagine, getting to look out on the water and the skyline? So nice. And also probably really fucking cold in April.

Haha I've thought about moving it to the islands as well or the waterfront...if the waterfront was actually big enough to hold a stadium and we knew what the heck we wanted to do with it.

I joked with my friends a few years ago they need to tear down the Skydome and go play a few years at the Exhibition like when they first started.

Fenix

Just FYI for all Jays fans, Sportsnet is rebroadcasting the 1992 World Series starting with game 1 at 3:30 EST Christmas Day.

Cygnus, feel free to watch if you enjoy torture.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just FYI for all Jays fans, Sportsnet is rebroadcasting the 1992 World Series starting with game 1 at 3:30 EST Christmas Day.

Cygnus, feel free to watch if you enjoy torture.
I'll be at my future in-laws house all day, so, either way.

Isn't there still space around the ACC/Skydome area? At least I know there was before MLSE started building stuff.

edit: looking at google maps, there *is* space to build an arena if the gardiner was rerouted. either that or they could fill in some land and build the arena on that.

Isn't there still space around the ACC/Skydome area? At least I know there was before MLSE started building stuff.

edit: looking at google maps, there *is* space to build an arena if the gardiner was rerouted. either that or they could fill in some land and build the arena on that.

I think natural grass and a bit of a retrofit would make a huge difference. No need to build an entirely new stadium.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Some of that space might be taken by the new aquarium.

I joked with my friends a few years ago they need to tear down the Skydome and go play a few years at the Exhibition like when they first started.

Did you ever go to Exhibition? That place was terrible. I went to a few games when I was little, and I don't think I'll ever forget sitting on those hard, metal benches.

clemenx

Banned
Duh! I forgot about that. But he's a 14 game winner!

Kendrys wasn't that good last year but I have to think he could've landed someone at least a bit better.

gaming_noob

Morales is clutch. I would have offered Buerhle If they'd also take Lind.

What's going on with the white sox? Are they rebuilding or patching up again?

McNei1y

Oh wow. It would be very cool to get a sports game with a player from your team on it. That hasnt happened since Gilbert Arenas (or was it Ovie?) In 2007. But that was NBA Live so who bought that game anyway.

Sanjuro

No idea why they don't make covers for each region. Seems like an incredibly easy way to stretch profits. Instead, they'll just force us to use some online code, pay for skates, and not spend a penny on improving the online experience.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Don't like trading within the division but I'll take it

No idea why they don't make covers for each region. Seems like an incredibly easy way to stretch profits. Instead, they'll just force us to use some online code, pay for skates, and not spend a penny on improving the online experience.

They did that last year for Canada and MLB 12. We got Jose Bautista, while you guys got Adrian Gonzalez.

Top Bottom