• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

eznark

Banned
Vita version is, yet again, totally acceptable and slightly disappointing.

I'm pumped at the online performance so far. Bummed to hear about the catcher freeze bug still being in the game. That's lunacy.

Tobor

I'm pumped at the online performance so far. Bummed to hear about the catcher freeze bug still being in the game. That's lunacy.

What's disappointing?

eznark

Banned
Still underwhelming visually and I'd have liked the ability to use my Diamond Dynasty to at least play vs. CPU games.

That said, it's totally 100% a must buy.

abrack08

Nevermind.

Can't wait for the OS rosters so I can start my franchise. I always get bored in RTTS. I want to pitch and hit!

DRG

Neo Member
I really want to pick this up and play along with the real baseball season this year. Do The Show games usually go on sale near launch or do they maintain their price?

turnbuckle

Guess Pitch, has changed substantially, for the better. Because online guys lived and died by the guess pitch feature, simply because as humans we pitch Fastball low in the zone and most would guess this and be right and just sit on that pitch and bang.

It now works like this, if you only guess pitch type and get it right, the ball will flash red about halfway to the plate.

If you only guess location the zone will flash red once again when the ball is about halfway to the plate.

If you guess pitch type and location and you guess right it will act like guess pitch of old, you will get visual and vibration feedback

If you guess pitch type and location and you guess wrong you will get no feedback

If you guess pitch type and location and you get one right and the other one wrong, no feedback.

There is a plus minus penalty for right and wrong, based on Plate vision

Thank god for this.

DD is kinda fucked at the moment. Can't buy, sell, or trade cards. I got in a couple of games and won a few, got spanked a few. Players are balking left and right and I'm really glad it's happening. Too many players would quick pitch and now they're finally getting penalized for it in DD.

One annoying thing is that I changed my default controls to what I like (zone hitting, button throwing, meter pitching) but when I restart my system it brings me back to stock controls. I gave up a few runs and struck out a few times looking because I was trying to use my normal controls :p

These games always have some issues early on and it's too bad. Hopefully they'll rectify the issues pretty quickly. As for my connections, I had one game yesterday that was extremely laggy. I had 4-5 other games that were damn near flawless. I wish there was an option to completely avoid players with whom you have a bad connection with. Perhaps it's an option in the other modes, but in Diamond Dynasty you're matched up with someone of similar rank.

Absolutely love the ball physics this year. The play-by-play commentary seems more subdued in DD than before. I hear Matty V, but the other two guys rarely say a word.

turnbuckle

The situation is this...

One PS3

One Online Pass with MLB 13 The Show

Two PSN accounts

...can both accounts have full online functionality (roster updates, player / roster downloads, online play, etc) on the same PS3 with just one Online Pass?

I believe so, at least you could last year. Many people used this as an exploit to game Diamond Dynasty. They put in card locks this year to get around that issue so I'm thinking you can still use multiple accounts on the same system.

I really want to pick this up and play along with the real baseball season this year. Do The Show games usually go on sale near launch or do they maintain their price?

They generally maintain their price for a few months at least. I waited around to buy a second copy of last year's version so I could play at home and at my girlfriend's without the annoyance of remembering to bring the game with me. I waited until July and finally saw it on sale for I think $49.99 at Amazon and then I picked it up. Then my girlfriend and I broke up a week later anyways so it's still in the shrinkwrap and worth about $1.01 now lol.

Guess Pitch, has changed substantially, for the better. Because online guys lived and died by the guess pitch feature, simply because as humans we pitch Fastball low in the zone and most would guess this and be right and just sit on that pitch and bang.

It now works like this, if you only guess pitch type and get it right, the ball will flash red about halfway to the plate.

If you only guess location the zone will flash red once again when the ball is about halfway to the plate.

If you guess pitch type and location and you guess right it will act like guess pitch of old, you will get visual and vibration feedback

If you guess pitch type and location and you guess wrong you will get no feedback

If you guess pitch type and location and you get one right and the other one wrong, no feedback.

There is a plus minus penalty for right and wrong, based on Plate vision

Thank you very much for this. Guess pitch has changed so much since MLB 10.

It's possible I have missed a post or two in this thread....What "catcher freeze bug" are you referring to?

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind... I assume you are talking about this bug in our database at Show Nation...

"Catcher Freeze (exactly as it was last year) is back in this game.
I've played 8 games and I've seen it three times now. It just cost me my last game in the 11th inning after a strikeout which should've ended the inning."

G-Fex

It's possible I have missed a post or two in this thread....What "catcher freeze bug" are you referring to?

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind... I assume you are talking about this bug in our database at Show Nation...

I've played 8 games and I've seen it three times now. It just cost me my last game in the 11th inning after a strikeout which should've ended the inning."
wow are you with the dev team?

turnbuckle

Thanks.

Yeah, this was a huge issue with last year's game and occurred most often with a slider/slurve thrown in the dirt. Some would say "don't throw garbage in the dirt and this won't happen" but the penalty for doing that already is a wild pitch and/or a runner advancing after they strike out.

I only had it happen to me probably half a dozen times last year and saw it happen to my opponents at least 20+ times. When it happened to my opponents and my guy reach base I either had to stand around and wait awhile or round the bases to score. (I only rounded the bases to score once, and that was because it was a guy who was obviously lag switching the game)

It was a bug that was brought up many many times on TheShowNation's forums. In the bug thread and in normal threads - normal threads that would get locked with the response "please report bugs in the bug thread". If it's happening again this year that's terribly disappointing.

eznark

Banned

Thanks.

Yeah. It's shocking that its still in the game considering it was pretty high profile last year.

turnbuckle

MLB_ANIMATOR

One of the biggest gripes with the series is the overdone animations that cause plays to be missed. Beautiful game, great animation, but sometimes - often, even - the animations get in the way. Some examples :

- Catcher frequently missing tags at the plate even though the runner should have been out by several seconds

- Slow pickoff animation where the pitcher will casually throw to a base while the baserunner is blowing right by him (This probably occurred most frequently on pickoffs to first, but it really was more of a problem and more exploitable when the runner was on second going towards third or when a runner would try to steal home)

- Slow catching and throwing animations in the infield on squeeze plays. A man on third with less than 2 outs is almost a guaranteed run with a sac bunt. Even highly rated players will sometimes show a lack of urgency and miss plays because of canned animations.

- Chasing a fly ball in the outfield. When running towards a fly ball the player has the ability to control whether to jump, to dive, or to keep running. Sometimes the best route for an out of range fly ball is to run more horizontal than vertical depending on the ball's trajectory. However, in some instances the ball will be obviously outside of the fielder's range but a canned animation will trigger where the player will lunge for the ball and do a somersault. I can think of many times where this cost me bases and in none of those times was it even close to my intention to lunge towards the ball.

Those are just a few of my nitpicks that I'm typing up since your name implies that this is partially your fault :p Favorite sports game and MLB the Show 2012 was the best version yet, but little things like that hamper what's otherwise a nearly believable experience. Some of these issues I've already witnessed in 2013 after just a few games and it's a bit disappointing.

I want to know why the crowd always looks like scrambled eggs when you're watching a game in the Broadcast camera view. In every other view, the crowd looks fine.

eznark

Banned
MLB_ANIMATOR

One of the biggest gripes with the series is the overdone animations that cause plays to be missed. Beautiful game, great animation, but sometimes - often, even - the animations get in the way. Some examples :

- Catcher frequently missing tags at the plate even though the runner should have been out by several seconds

- Slow pickoff animation where the pitcher will casually throw to a base while the baserunner is blowing right by him (This probably occurred most frequently on pickoffs to first, but it really was more of a problem and more exploitable when the runner was on second going towards third or when a runner would try to steal home)

- Slow catching and throwing animations in the infield on squeeze plays. A man on third with less than 2 outs is almost a guaranteed run with a sac bunt. Even highly rated players will sometimes show a lack of urgency and miss plays because of canned animations.

- Chasing a fly ball in the outfield. When running towards a fly ball the player has the ability to control whether to jump, to dive, or to keep running. Sometimes the best route for an out of range fly ball is to run more horizontal than vertical depending on the ball's trajectory. However, in some instances the ball will be obviously outside of the fielder's range but a canned animation will trigger where the player will lunge for the ball and do a somersault. I can think of many times where this cost me bases and in none of those times was it even close to my intention to lunge towards the ball.

Those are just a few of my nitpicks that I'm typing up since your name implies that this is partially your fault :p Favorite sports game and MLB the Show 2012 was the best version yet, but little things like that hamper what's otherwise a nearly believable experience. Some of these issues I've already witnessed in 2013 after just a few games and it's a bit disappointing.

12 was a step back from 11 which was the best. 12 ratcheted up the animation issues.

turnbuckle

12 was a step back from 11 which was the best. 12 ratcheted up the animation issues.

I didn't play 2011 very much the. the default online cam never felt right to me and I kinda lost the motivation to play with the whole psn issue. some of the issues were definitely present in 2010 but the big issue for me from that year was how players would look like they were having a heart attack when approaching and throwing a ball from along the wall/ warning track. that's long gone. last year's outfield assist to first happening several times a game was improved in an inelegant way - now out looks like even a good rated player forgets how to throw on those plays. I wish that problem was solved in a more realistic way but it was nice seeing my opponent constantly fail to throw me out at first on line drives to rf last night.

2012 was my favorite so far because of diamonds dynasty. even with its flaws it was the perfect blend of baseball+rpg like elements+ quality competitiveness. you'd still run into ass clowns sometimes, but the higher ranked players mostly all posted on the show forum and we're generally pretty cool. I have high hopes for this game, but it is having a bit of a rough start.

Trigonx

I picked up MLB '12 at the beginning of July for $39.99, maybe if was lowered a bit earlier but that's when I saw it on sale while looking at the games at Target.

I think I have been lucky enough to not encounter that bug at all.

I think he/she posts like twice a year between working on editions of The Show.

He. :)

Yes, with the dev team. No, I don't post very often. I used to post much more in OS, but we have a community manager now, and he does a great job.

I read this forum every day, however. Generally to get the latest on the next gen wars and who has more RAM or faster CPU, or GPU, etc... Obviously, I have no comment on any of it. ;)

turnbuckle

He. :)

Yes, with the dev team. No, I don't post very often. I used to post much more in OS, but we have a community manager now, and he does a great job.

I read this forum every day, however. Generally to get the latest on the next gen wars and who has more RAM or faster CPU, or GPU, etc... Obviously, I have no comment on any of it. ;)

Can you comment on whether any development has been started on the PS4 version of MLB the Show 2014? On a scale of 9-10, how awesome is it going to be?

FrankWza

DD is the way to go. For every $50 you spend you get 10$ back, so essentially you if you buy both you are right at $100 getting you both games for $80.

yeah. if i dont see a sale over the next week or so i will end up doing this. i like to wait for the official rosters anyway.

MLB_ANIMATOR

I guess as the Lead Animator, I will take partial blame for it. :)

Honestly, I understand your concerns. We try to balance how the game looks with how the game plays, ie how responsive it is. Obviously, gameplay is most important. My team supplies the animation for the game but we have limited control on how they are played. That is the realm of the AI team (here is where I shift blame! :) )

I think for the most part we have gotten rid of the long canned animations, but some still remain. One issue is the user can run around all over the place, and then go right towards a ball, giving the AI only a few frames to make the play, the options are to cut far into the animation to the attach point which will look "poppy", or have the player miss the ball.

I can assure you we are working towards making it responsive and look good. And I have no problem at all with complaints or nitpicks, it helps us make the game better.

Can you comment on whether any development has been started on the PS4 version of MLB the Show 2014? On a scale of 9-10, how awesome is it going to be?

Haha...no, sorry...can't comment specifically...but I'm sure anything on the PS4 will be an 11!!

Is that company line enough? :)

turnbuckle

I guess as the Lead Animator, I will take partial blame for it. :)

Honestly, I understand your concerns. We try to balance how the game looks with how the game plays, ie how responsive it is. Obviously, gameplay is most important. My team supplies the animation for the game but we have limited control on how they are played. That is the realm of the AI team (here is where I shift blame! :) )

I think for the most part we have gotten rid of the long canned animations, but some still remain. One issue is the user can run around all over the place, and then go right towards a ball, giving the AI only a few frames to make the play, the options are to cut far into the animation to the attach point which will look "poppy", or have the player miss the ball.

I can assure you we are working towards making it responsive and look good. And I have no problem at all with complaints or nitpicks, it helps us make the game better.

Thanks for the genuine response. Since they're not here to defend themselves I'll go ahead and shift the blame onto the AI team as well. Outside of the catcher glitch I wouldn't consider the other issues game breaking at all.

And it's ok to toe the company line, but I will refuse to believe anyone that gives MLB2K14 on the PS4 anything above 6

BFIB

Glad to see plenty of support from the devs behind this game here and over at OS. Its nice to see teams take the feedback from the fans, and implement them in future updates or releases.

TNK has his slider set up. Here's my settings:

Pitching: All-Star, Pulse Pitching
Hitting: All-Star, Zone (no guess pitch)
Fielding: All-Star with the new meter

Played Indians vs. Cardinals

Cards won 4-2. Quite a pitchers duel between Wainwright and Masterson. The slider sets were spot on, and created a nice balance on the field.

I was able to work deep into counts (drew 3 walks, though Masterson only gave up one run through six), worked him out of the game, and fared better against the relievers.

So far, so good, its only one small sample size, but TNK's set seems right on the money again.

Sadly, I did have two stutters from the pitchers. Hopefully this can be patched.

The interaction is nice, but what the fuck is the deal with screwing up the same alternate uniforms every year? The Braves alternate road uniform has the wrong hat again for the third year in a row.

turnbuckle

Oh god yes. Right into my veins.

No kidding.
The Show is the reason I'm getting a PS4 when it launches. I'm quite certain there won't be a price drop by the time the first game releases so I see no sense in waiting.

One thing I'd love to see that may put me in the minority and will probably not happen any time soon - real advertisements in the stadiums. Ads in most games can be a bit annoying depending on their implementation, but fake ads in sports games takes away from some of the realism. Even if they can't work deals with all the advertisers, it'd be nice to see a few make it in. I mean, like the genuine ads that one would see at the stadium already, not just random ads plastered in the game that don't make a bit of sense.

Seems like the kind of thing that could be a win-win for the developers and advertisers alike.

friz898

That catcher bug got me so many times in 2012. I have played about 50 games so far in 2013 and havent seen it.

The bug was so annoying because you had to exit out on the vita version and lose everything you accomplished that game. Thank God autosave was always turned on.

Edit: Rough guess for anybody who cares... I played 9 full seasons of RttS and about 50 or so games of regular. Oh and some RttS for two other players I didnt go past 2-3 season with.

Out of those 1500-2000 games...I would say I saw the catcher bug about 15-20 times. (Again, 2012 version, Vita)

friz898

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/mlb-13-the-show-vita-review

mentions frame rate issues but does not compare to last years

I'm going to go read it, but how can you review a sports series and NOT compare it to last year.

I thought every single annual franchise such as the FPS games and sports games and WWE games always were compared to the previous years entry. That's everybody's first question, "is it better than last year?"

Anyway, going to go read it, been keep an eye out for this review. I personally haven't noticed the frame rate issues in 50 games, but I'm sure it's possible they are there, I mean, I saw them in the 2012 version.

Edit: Review isn't bad. I didn't really like his style he went with referring to steroids and the 2012 season. He came off to me like someone who plays the ps3 version every night for fun, and then was assigned the Vita version at his job and was saddened by this inferior version.

Personally I feel the Vita version is much better this year than last year.

My one complaint so far? Seems like sound quality went down. I truly think the sound samples are of lower grade than the 2012 version. I'm speculating that this is because they were running out of room on the cart but still wanted to save room for better graphics and the new modes. I really think Sony San Diego needs an 8gb cart or something for their Vita version.

The music often sounds like 64k/96k/112k mp3s instead of cd quality.

Bog

Junior Ace
Was there ever any discussion around allowing a user to play a full season with the rosters being pulled daily from the new "Live" feature? I know a big chunk of people who want to play a full season so the stats are tracked, but don't care about making their own transactions.

friz898

Was there ever any discussion around allowing a user to play a full season with the rosters being pulled daily from the new "Live" feature? I know a big chunk of people who want to play a full season so the stats are tracked, but don't care about making their own transactions.

What do you mean exactly?

turnbuckle

I would hate this so much, but then again it's nice to have options.

I'm going to go read it, but how can you review a sports series and NOT compare it to last year.

I thought every single annual franchise such as the FPS games and sports games and WWE games always were compared to the previous years entry. That's everybody's first question, "is it better than last year?"

Anyway, going to go read it, been keep an eye out for this review. I personally haven't noticed the frame rate issues in 50 games, but I'm sure it's possible they are there, I mean, I saw them in the 2012 version.

Edit: Review isn't bad. I didn't really like his style he went with referring to steroids and the 2012 season. He came off to me like someone who plays the ps3 version every night for fun, and then was assigned the Vita version at his job and was saddened by this inferior version.

Personally I feel the Vita version is much better this year than last year.

My one complaint so far? Seems like sound quality went down. I truly think the sound samples are of lower grade than the 2012 version. I'm speculating that this is because they were running out of room on the cart but still wanted to save room for better graphics and the new modes. I really think Sony San Diego needs an 8gb cart or something for their Vita version.

The music often sounds like 64k/96k/112k mp3s instead of cd quality.

He means the framerate doesn't compare to last years horrendous framerate.

friz898

He means the framerate doesn't compare to last years horrendous framerate.

Well I wasn't sure. I went and read the review, the reviewer doesn't compare this years 2013 version to last years at all. So, he may have meant what I thought he meant.

The reviewer spends the entire time comparing it to the ps3 version.

M.W.

Addicted to RTTS this year. Got brought up by the Braves (I'm a SP) after having about 5 quality starts in a row in AAA. I'm put into the rotation as the setup man. First ever MLB game, I give up the winning run in the top of the 9th. DAMNIT

The interaction is nice, but what the fuck is the deal with screwing up the same alternate uniforms every year? The Braves alternate road uniform has the wrong hat again for the third year in a row.

I can answer this since Russell has answered it on OpSports before.

MLB supplies them with assets for uniforms and stadiums, they can't use anything other than what is provided to them even if they know its wrong per their agreement with MLB.

There has been talk of the AI throwing meatballs in RTTS. Easy to hit first pitch fastballs seem to be the norm. However, I switched over to Vita last night for my RTTS and that changed. I found hitting in RTTS to be much harder on the Vita version and I wasn't getting fed lots of easy to hit pitches.

friz898

There has been talk of the AI throwing meatballs in RTTS. Easy to hit first pitch fastballs seem to be the norm. However, I switched over to Vita last night for my RTTS and that changed. I found hitting in RTTS to be much harder on the Vita version and I wasn't getting fed lots of easy to hit pitches.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I find that hard to believe. If anything it seems like the Vita's AI would be less in depth so perhaps more easy pitches (if there was any variance at all).

However, I will say from the 2012 version that a lot of people seem to feel that hitting and meter pitching was harder in Vita due to lower frame rate. Perhaps that factors in for you?

Grant it I'm sure you can tell the difference between a fastball down the middle and a slider in the corner.

Well I wasn't sure. I went and read the review, the reviewer doesn't compare this years 2013 version to last years at all. So, he may have meant what I thought he meant.

The reviewer spends the entire time comparing it to the ps3 version.

That is weird then. Granted, in the end we want the Vita to rival the PS3 brethren so I can see why.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I find that hard to believe. If anything it seems like the Vita's AI would be less in depth so perhaps more easy pitches (if there was any variance at all).

However, I will say from the 2012 version that a lot of people seem to feel that hitting and meter pitching was harder in Vita due to lower frame rate. Perhaps that factors in for you?

Grant it I'm sure you can tell the difference between a fastball down the middle and a slider in the corner.

I'm not sure framerate factors in. I have been hitting just fine in regular games. My Vita woes only exist in RTTS and there's a noticeable difference in pitch variety compared to the PS3 version.

I think the Vita is more than capable of handling complex pitch selection. I doubt that's the issue.

Also, the Bison's default home stadium is different on Vita. The one used on Vita is a more appropriate location (can't remember the name) compared to the one being used on PS3.

friz898

I'm not sure framerate factors in. I have been hitting just fine in regular games. My Vita woes only exist in RTTS and there's a noticeable difference in pitch variety compared to the PS3 version.

I think the Vita is more than capable of handling complex pitch selection. I doubt that's the issue.

Also, the Bison's default home stadium is different on Vita. The one used on Vita is a more appropriate location (can't remember the name) compared to the one being used on PS3.

Oh I had no clue that any stadiums are cut from the Vita version? That really surprises me. Can you think of any theories why it would be harder on the Vita? I've never owned the PS3 version. Just always mess around with it at the stores because it's so damn pretty.

Oh I had no clue that any stadiums are cut from the Vita version? That really surprises me. Can you think of any theories why it would be harder on the Vita? I've never owned the PS3 version. Just always mess around with it at the stores because it's so damn pretty.

I'm not sure if the stadium that is used for the Bisons on the PS3 version has been cut from the Vita. It just selects a different one on Vita.

The one on Vita has the backdrop with the suspension bridge while the PS3 one is very sparse. Can't remember the stadium names at all.

Top Bottom