• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

Sephzilla

So I caved and picked it up, my opening experience?

Michael Cuddyer coming up to bat (Rockies), at my Brewers, and Vasgersian saying "and Cuddyer walking up to the plate to a warm welcome after all the years he spent in Minneapolis"

Your problem is you're expecting anybody to pay appropriate attention to the Brewers (I'm a Brewer fan too, FYI). Shit, I remember a few years ago either The Show or 2K had Robin Yount's hall of fame mention as a Chicago Cub (he's a career Brewer).

I wonder if the Brewer's alternate throwback uniforms still have the wrong blue color on them.

With zone hitting, im having a hard time getting my PCI to go anywhere. On a fastball on the corners, I have to first move the stick where I want it to go and then swing. With a fastball, im usually swinging before the game can move the PCI and it usually stays in the middle. Seems like past versions the PCI would move while you were swinging. Any tips?
Let me show you a training vid that's been good for years...

Czarisode - MLB 09: How To Be A Better Batter

Use the training in here for one month, and I guarantee by mid-April you will increase your BA by 25-30 points.
Made it to the Majors in RTTS and I'm struggling quite a bit after being a .300+ hitter in the minors. That sense of scale and speed that the majors has over the minors is really noticeable and has had an impact on my level of play.
Your PCI automatically shrinks every level you go up compared to the level of the league you join. Stats that were good in AAA are pedestrian in the Majors.

DEV JOURNAL GUESS PITCH

http://forums.theshownation.com/showthread.php?p=149518#post149518

Example 1: I guess 4SFB (4-seam Fastball), I don’t guess a location. If correct, the ball flashes red out of the pitchers hand to notify me that the pitch is what I anticipated. See below for a screencap of the result.

attachment.php

Example 2: I guess Location Low. I don’t guess a Pitch Type. If correct, the location flashes red when the ball leaves the pitchers hand and the user will lock-on to the location area. See below for a screencap of the result.

attachment.php

Example 3: I guess BOTH 4SFB, and Location Low. If BOTH correct, I instantly lock-on when the pitcher starts his wind-up and the location and strike-zone blink red to notify me I am locked and loaded. See below for a screencap of the result.

NOTE: In this new “All or Nothing” system, if you guess 1 right and not the other, you get nothing and like it.

attachment.php

FrankWza

DEV JOURNAL GUESS PITCH

http://forums.theshownation.com/showthread.php?p=149518#post149518

Example 1: I guess 4SFB (4-seam Fastball), I don’t guess a location. If correct, the ball flashes red out of the pitchers hand to notify me that the pitch is what I anticipated. See below for a screencap of the result.

Example 2: I guess Location Low. I don’t guess a Pitch Type. If correct, the location flashes red when the ball leaves the pitchers hand and the user will lock-on to the location area. See below for a screencap of the result.

Example 3: I guess BOTH 4SFB, and Location Low. If BOTH correct, I instantly lock-on when the pitcher starts his wind-up and the location and strike-zone blink red to notify me I am locked and loaded. See below for a screencap of the result.

NOTE: In this new “All or Nothing” system, if you guess 1 right and not the other, you get nothing and like it.

attachment.php

i like this. it reminds me a little of the mvp hitters eye that i love with the flash at the last fraction of a second. i have mine on 1/4 as well to minimize influence. ive said it a million times, if they put hitters eye in this game it would be perfect.

FrankWza

I became a much better hitter in that game when I stopped fucking with Guess Pitch and just did it the tough way.

i agree. but, there is a time and place for this. i think its the equivalent of letting your best hitters swing 3-0 sometimes. if you pick your spots its a good tool because i think that is realistic to baseball. most guys just hit, but there are spots where they'll "cheat" and look for a location or specific pitch in a certain spot.

i agree. but, there is a time and place for this. i think its the equivalent of letting your best hitters swing 3-0 sometimes. if you pick your spots its a good tool because i think that is realistic to baseball. most guys just hit, but there are spots where they'll "cheat" and look for a location or specific pitch in a certain spot.

I also agree with this. I'd love it if they implemented a system where maybe you can only use Guess Pitch once during an at-bat? Or maybe each player can only use it once a game?

I became a much better hitter in that game when I stopped fucking with Guess Pitch and just did it the tough way.

I use it but I use it on hitters counts when I know the strike pitch is coming.

2-0, 3-1, or 3-2

This is when I go into the batter/pitcher analysis screen and see how he pitches when he's behind in the count or with RISP. Things I look for

Pitch Type

and see if he's hitting his spots on his pitching timing. If I see he's just late or just early I know he's not hitting his spots well and if he's throwing for the corners most of the time it's going to be a ball.

I like Using Guess Pitch in these situations, but I only start using it on the batters 2nd or 3rd time around for that particular pitcher.

macewank

I also agree with this. I'd love it if they implemented a system where maybe you can only use Guess Pitch once during an at-bat? Or maybe each player can only use it once a game?

nah. i like the system as it is. i mean, from a realism standpoint there's nothing stopping a hitter from guessing fastball on the outside corner on every pitch. the thing is, he's going to be wrong most of the time.

it's up to you as the player to pick and choose the right moments to do so.

hiryu2015

One major problem I've had is that I have been plagued by infield errors, typically not of my own doing. One example had me make a great relay throw [perfect release right in the center of the green part of meter] from 2nd on a double play yet the first baseman could not handle the throw. That led to a huge 3-run inning for the bad guys. Another game had a slow dribbler pass by my 2nd baseman who just watched it roll by Buckner-style...the next batter of course hit a HR. These are just two examples of many many infield errors I've suffered over my 3 losses, 2 of which I can say were direct results of big innings opened up by errors. Once I figure that out, I'll be good.

One thing I'll say about '13 versus '11 [the only other edition I've played/owned], I can definitely hit better than I could there. I can't tell you how many 1-0 games I lost in The Show 11. I'm also about done with the guess pitch feature, it never works out haha. Even when I take a chance and guess a breaking pitch that the opponent's been relying on [since I typically sit on fastballs], they immediately throw a fast ball right down the middle. I also still have weird issues with Analog hitting--when I don't think about it, I do alright...but once I start to strategize about how/when/where to hit, I miss almost everything.

As for pitching, though I loved and got really great at Analog pitching in '11, I think I may like pulse pitching a lot more. It reminds me of the style of the N64 All-Star Baseball games and my timing is improving now that I have a better appreciation for pitch release.

I will admit that I still have to try out all the various play styles before I start a season, but it's still been great fun over the past day.

bjscott05

Agreed. Used to use it online then stopped when I realized it affects you negatively when you guess wrong (I think this is still true). Now I'm a much better hitter and bat .280+ online against good players, which is pretty good.

friz898

Agreed. Used to use it online then stopped when I realized it affects you negatively when you guess wrong (I think this is still true). Now I'm a much better hitter and bat .280+ online against good players, which is pretty good.

When I used guess pitch, I had a lot more pop ups and weak flies. I looked up why, and apparently even with the least punishing version, there is still enough punishment for not guessing the right pitch that just having it turned off yielded me much better results. This was for 2012 mind you.

eznark

Banned
I don't get why saves don't automatically get uploaded to the cloud. That extra step annoys the shit out of me.

Let me show you a training vid that's been good for years...

Czarisode - MLB 09: How To Be A Better Batter

I haven't played The Show but i just watched this video and it just looks so random, imprecise and and frustratingly difficult. I have no idea how anyone could find that batting experience very enjoyable to play.

Watch this video [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEoClZ2bPY]96 mph Fastball at Max settings - Pro Yakyuu Spirits Baseball 2011 [/URL]. Despite being on the hardest settings it's immediately clear how you'd hit the ball perfectly and it takes nothing but pure skill and is completely rewarding when you nail it.

I was thinking to try out The Show this year but despite the awesome presentation i really don't think i'd like it coming from Konami's game. All you Show players don't know what you're missing out on!

friz898

I haven't played The Show but i just watched this video and it just looks so random, imprecise and and frustratingly difficult. I have no idea how anyone could find that batting experience very enjoyable to play.

Watch this video [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEoClZ2bPY]96 mph Fastball at Max settings - Pro Yakyuu Spirits Baseball 2011 [/URL]. Despite being on the hardest settings it's immediately clear how you'd hit the ball perfectly and it takes nothing but pure skill and is completely rewarding when you nail it.

I was thinking to try out The Show this year but despite the awesome presentation i really don't think i'd like it coming from Konami's game. All you Show players don't know what you're missing out on!

So basically we need a X crossover baseball game!

a) that's MLB 09 you were looking at. That game vid is 4 years old.
b) That interface is Zones ON, PCI ON. Most players play Zones OFF no indicators at all. There are tons of options and a Beginner Mode to teach people new to the game how to hit.
c) How you came to those conclusions tell me you haven't really paid much attention to this game, clearly you're not familiar with the inner workings of it. The Batting system is rather easy to learn, difficult to master.

I'll just agree to disagree.

eznark

Banned

Lol, I remember the last game Konami brought out a baseball game in the states. It had random stat attributes for players, absurdly inaccurate rosters and Prince Fielder was white.

The dating sim was a nice touch though.

Your problem is you're expecting anybody to pay appropriate attention to the Brewers (I'm a Brewer fan too, FYI). Shit, I remember a few years ago either The Show or 2K had Robin Yount's hall of fame mention as a Chicago Cub (he's a career Brewer).

I wonder if the Brewer's alternate throwback uniforms still have the wrong blue color on them.

Tear. One day...

And yeah some of the throwback jerseys look terrible, but that I was expecting.

a) that's MLB 09 you were looking at. That game vid is 4 years old.
b) That interface is Zones ON, PCI ON. Most players play Zones OFF no indicators at all. There are tons of options and a Beginner Mode to teach people new to the game how to hit.
c) How you came to those conclusions tell me you haven't really paid much attention to this game, clearly you're not familiar with the inner workings of it. The Batting system is rather easy to learn, difficult to master.

I'll just agree to disagree.

Fair call, i mean as said i haven't played it and certainly not familiar with the inner workings. Have you played Pro Baseball Spirits? What we need is someone who's played both! :)
Biased probably, but the forums at www.spiritstranslation.com have almost no one preferring The Show's batting and pitching setup, whereas i gather most people who love The Show just haven't played Spirits.

FrankWza

Fair call, i mean as said i haven't played it and certainly not familiar with the inner workings. Have you played Pro Baseball Spirits? What we need is someone who's played both! :)
Biased probably, but the forums at www.spiritstranslation.com have almost no one preferring The Show's batting and pitching setup, whereas i gather most people who love The Show just haven't played Spirits.

spirits looks good, but you have to translate AND play with players of which 99% ive never heard of. id rather just pop in my copy of MVP 2005. at least a lot of players are still around and i can create a player if i need.

my God you're shilling hard. Shamelessly too...

Akira_83

Banned
its a shame the Vita port is so gimped again

i dont mind the graphics themselves, but theres no way the presentation stuff takes up that much extra room. However i was watching a lets play on youtube and the way the Vita version just quickly cuts from an animation like a batter walking away from the plate, or a missed swing (you see a quick white flash and its back on the next person) is super jarring

i wanted to see each batter REALLY walk up to the plate, full home run celebrations, etc

i would go as far as to say id rather them cut out extra modes and whatnot to keep the presentation aspects intact

FrankWza

i dont mind the graphics themselves, but theres no way the presentation stuff takes up that much extra room. However i was watching a lets play on youtube and the way the Vita version just quickly cuts from an animation like a batter walking away from the plate, or a missed swing (you see a quick white flash and its back on the next person) is super jarring

i wanted to see each batter REALLY walk up to the plate, full home run celebrations, etc

i would go as far as to say id rather them cut out extra modes and whatnot to keep the presentation aspects intact

its all about framerate with the vita version. its handheld baseball after all. bells and whistles can wait until they get the fps straightened out. i have yet to play the vita version but i have heard mixed results. as long as the game play is good that is all that matters for now.

chualie

I don't get why saves don't automatically get uploaded to the cloud. That extra step annoys the shit out of me.

My saves have been getting uploaded to the cloud every day. Maybe you have to turn something on in the settings? I'm on the PS3.

Quick

Banned
I've been having fun with the Vita version. RTTS on the Vita = victory.

I don't miss some of the missing presentation stuff taken out since I have the PS3 version anyway. Though, I can imagine it being annoying for anyone who just went with the Vita version.

my God you're shilling hard. Shamelessly too...

I have no affiliation with the site, just very grateful of it's existence since i got way more enjoyment out of the game thanks to it.
I'm happy to point people to it when it's mostly the translation barrier stopping people from importing an excellent game.

That said, the reason i linked it in my last post was simply because i can't stand not being able to click website urls, and habit.

eznark

Banned

Personally I am thrilled they got rid of that stuff. If I had the option of just not installing any of that on the PS3 game I would take it. Even in fast play some of that stuff just takes too damn long. After seeing it once I can't imagine why anyone would care. I played a game online in broadcast mode by accident, it was like playing Kojima presents Baseball. Awful.

My saves have been getting uploaded to the cloud every day. Maybe you have to turn something on in the settings? I'm on the PS3.

Hm, I haven't played much RTTS on the PS3, I was referring specifically to the Vita version. Nice to know that it's happening on the PS3 though! Are you sure those are the cross play enabled saves?

I have no affiliation with the site, just very grateful of it's existence since i got way more enjoyment out of the game thanks to it.
I'm happy to point people to it when it's mostly the translation barrier stopping people from importing an excellent game.

That said, the reason i linked it in my last post was simply because i can't stand not being able to click website urls, and habit.

Isn't there a thread for your game?

Akira_83

Banned
Personally I am thrilled they got rid of that stuff. If I had the option of just not installing any of that on the PS3 game I would take it. Even in fast play some of that stuff just takes too damn long. After seeing it once I can't imagine why anyone would care. I played a game online in broadcast mode by accident, it was like playing Kojima presents Baseball. Awful.

Hm, I haven't played much RTTS on the PS3, I was referring specifically to the Vita version. Nice to know that it's happening on the PS3 though! Are you sure those are the cross play enabled saves?

Isn't there a thread for your game?

i care because it puts you in the game, thats why its nice. Makes you feel your watching a real baseball game, and that immersion adds to the intensity of the games

its why i still prefer ESPN NFL2K5 to any madden game

G-Fex

I'm a little pissed my store still didn't get the Vita version in.

Going to have to go to Target and get it since i'm going there anyway to pick up some Wii U sports games.

FrankWza

i just saw the vita version in person. frame rate looked pretty bad. i wonder exactly how low it is? looked under 30 to me. i dont see a difference from last year. should have been a cross buy and the $80 should be standard. paying $100 for both is ridiculous.

i just saw the vita version in person. frame rate looked pretty bad. i wonder exactly how low it is? looked under 30 to me. i dont see a difference from last year. should have been a cross buy and the $80 should be standard. paying $100 for both is ridiculous.

I had last years and I have this years. I can say that this year I have seen 0 frame rate issues and last year they were all over the place.

FrankWza

i could clearly see the ball skipping from windup to plate. i only spent a few minutes with it but it was obvious to me. this was on a friends vita on cart. not sure if the download version performs better. anyone that downloaded it want to chime in?

friz898

i could clearly see the ball skipping from windup to plate. i only spent a few minutes with it but it was obvious to me. this was on a friends vita on cart. not sure if the download version performs better. anyone that downloaded it want to chime in?

I played on 2012 version and didnt have that problem, and this years 2013 version is much better.

You need to upload a video or something man, what you're describing isn't normal.

If ball framerate skipping from the pitching was happening, I wouldnt have 80+ hrs in 93 games. (lolz double-A).

How would I ever make contact? Or be batting .609.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying....something was up with the copy you played/borrowed/tested or whatever.

I'm playing on a cart and haven't seen anything like that.

Nor have I.

I haven't seen that once either and I'm playing on a cart. I've played 60+ RttS games on Vita and a few franchise games.

FrankWza

so, performance-wise, the vita version runs exactly like the ps3 version?

im not trying to make this a vita vs ps3 thing. it just doesnt perform the ame to me. i dont care about all the extra stuff in the game. im saying...pitcher batter, cather view or similar. i can see the ball skip frames. i will try and see if i can check out another copy.

eznark

Banned
so, performance-wise, the vita version runs exactly like the ps3 version?

im not trying to make this a vita vs ps3 thing. it just doesnt perform the ame to me. i dont care about all the extra stuff in the game. im saying...pitcher batter, cather view or similar. i can see the ball skip frames. i will try and see if i can check out another copy.

I feel bad for you. Gameplay is essentially identical albeit way uglier when I play.

Top Bottom