• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

MickeyPhree

Before getting MLB 13 (and MLB 12 in the EU sale a while back), I had only been a casual fan of the sport. Pretty much just watching whenever the Tigers were playing.

I find the beginner difficulty way too easy, but I still don't fully understand the best tactics to use. So does anyone have a good slider set that would allow me to still get challenged but not be bogged down in the the little nuances of the game. Such as when is best to warm up a relief pitcher, when to bring him out. I wish the game would have a more hands on coach for beginner players, rather than just easier settings.

Something along the lines of a coach that pops up and tells you that you should consider right now warming up another pitcher. Now would be a good time to try and steal 2nd. Maybe you should walk this guy. That sort of thing, so it allows newbies to begin to understand the sport.

Also, where could I find somewhere that would explain all the stats to me? I LOVE... LOVE stats, but I just don't get what half of them mean yet. Well I mean I get the obvious ones like Batting average, RBI, etc. Yet I don't know what WHIP, Slug, etc are and what their relevance is to things.

Other than that, I am loving this game, played last night and had a cracking game with Detroit vs Tampa Bay. Really tight game going into the seventh (1-1) when all of a sudden I found myself with runners at 3rd and 1st with my pitcher at bat and 1 out. Decided to bunt, got a runner home and the other to second, sacrificing Porcello, but then having Austin Jackson up next, who drove home another run to give me a 3-1 lead. I ended up running out 5-2 winners.

It felt good man. Just need to learn to read pitches better, as I probably could have run up a bigger score.

The amount of walks plus hits divided by innings a pitcher throws. Anything under 1.2 is a good number.

Slugging is basically total bases a hitter accumulates divided by at bats. Measures power of a hitter. Avg is around .400.

bradigor

Ah OK, thanks.

Really enjoying this on the Vita (12) as it is a great game to sit back and relax with for an hour.

So going to get 13 though so I can play alongside the real season on the PS3, but switch to the Vita when needed.

In general, what is the accepted average hits per game across a season (on the box score I mean, not for a player)? Would like to think my games are keeping realistic enough stats.

Dunan

In general, what is the accepted average hits per game across a season (on the box score I mean, not for a player)? Would like to think my games are keeping realistic enough stats.

Typically a team might average 9 or 10 hits per game. To round out the other two items you'll see on the scoreboard, about 4 to 4 1/2 runs per game is typical, and 1 error (or less) per game.

Back when baseball was just beginning, in the 1860s, players didn't wear gloves and there were many more errors than there are now. It wasn't the least bit uncommon for a team to finish a game with 25 each of runs, hits, and errors.

I'm a CF that got dealt to the Angels. I might get a chance to play when Mike Trout retires in 15 years.

I'm a pitcher that just got traded to the Angels (although still in AA) as well. Threw my first no-hitter in my first game with the new team.

I assume I'm a star now. Just a matter of time before I leapfrog from AA to the Show. I'll try to put in a good word for you in the front office.

I'm a pitcher that just got traded to the Angels (although still in AA) as well. Threw my first no-hitter in my first game with the new team.

I assume I'm a star now. Just a matter of time before I leapfrog from AA to the Show. I'll try to put in a good word for you in the front office.

I'm still in AA, but I've been hitting the cover off the ball. I honestly wouldn't mind if I were to get traded again.

eznark

Banned
If he works really hard, then maybe, just maybe, he'll get traded to the Astros.

I have a .483./.483/.815 line and I was a back up. Though I did play just about every day at either third of first.

Knowing the Brewers farm system, it's absurd that I was traded. The Brewers also traded Rickie Weeks for Angel Sanchez.

Pretty sure the trade logic (and a lot of the GM logic in RTTS) is totally broken.

I have a .483./.483/.815 line and I was a back up. Though I did play just about every day at either third of first.

Knowing the Brewers farm system, it's absurd that I was traded. The Brewers also traded Rickie Weeks for Angel Sanchez.

Pretty sure the trade logic (and a lot of the GM logic in RTTS) is totally broken.

Work some walks, chump!

MickeyPhree

Boss, are opposing pitchers just throwing you 89 mph fastballs right down the center of the plate?

Or...are you facing ubaldo Jimenez every time?

Bog

Junior Ace
After a 26 game hitting streak in RTTS, coach puts me in to pinch-hit in the 9th. That's fucking horseshit. No manager would ever do that.

After a 26 game hitting streak in RTTS, coach puts me in to pinch-hit in the 9th. That's fucking horseshit. No manager would ever do that.

The reason the manager made you a pinch hitter was

1. He may feel you needed too rest or
2. He damn well knew you bought training points off of PSN and that is his way of sitting you for violating the Performance Enhancing Drugs Rules.

Just F'ing with Ya.

I remember during Dan Uggla's hitting streak in 2011, he missed two games with a sore thumb. Fredi threw him in as a pinch-hitter in extra innings because they were running low on batters, so yeah, it does happen.

Uggla then hit a two-run homer.

I really want to be traded. No option to ask for one in the interactions. :(

Fuck Baltimore.
What? You lost your option? How new is your player, usually you have an option unless you haven't played enough games.

I think you need to start acting uppity in RTTS. Start styling and acting like a bad seed. Force those fools to trade you.

Quick

Banned
What? You lost your option? How new is your player, usually you have an option unless you haven't played enough games.

I think you need to start acting uppity in RTTS. Start styling and acting like a bad seed. Force those fools to trade you.

It's my first full season with the Orioles, so I'm assuming that's why.

It's funny: last year's game, I wanted out of San Diego, so I asked for an insane amount of money, then I eventually signed to their terms, and before spring training started, I was dealt to the Yankees (I was kind of okay with that).

turnbuckle

I haven't touched the other modes yet, but Diamond Dynasty is completely fucked up this year. I've avoided playing it for the past week and a half, and won't touch it until/unless they patch it. It's like playing an arcade baseball game, and one that breaks down frequently.

Just some of the issues:

Players can turn timing hitting on during the game

Game crashes, console freezes if you try to start a game with an incomplete lineup

Ditto if your opponent tries to start a game with an incomplete lineup.

Catcher freeze still occurs

Game will sometimes crash when going substituting a player

The difficulty is set to Veteran (or rookie) this year, last year it was All-Star

Most games will end with either an intentional disconnect by opponent or mercy rule

There's a bid glitch / exploit that be manipulated to get good cards cheap and sell awful cards for a lot. To unsuspecting players, they get stuck with the opposite side of that equation.

There's another glitch in the marketplace that prevent certain acquired cards to count towards collections

There's another glitch in the marketplace that are causing consoles to freeze under various circumstances

This post from the forums shows just one example of how easy/unrealistic the hitting is

Gai8sUh.png

There actually were 3 Drew bros. JD, Tim and Stephen.

Look at this game
http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=240707120

JD 4-4 HR SB
Tim pitches a clean inning and the only time he ever got on base and scored.

And neither got hurt.

JD was great when healthy.

That 1 year in ATL showed his video game like skills. Avg Power Walks Steals. He didn't have a canon arm but was super accurate and was throwing out a bunch of guys.

turnbuckle

That looks like Rookie or Veteran Hitting PCI.

Yeah. It was set to All-Star last year. A little easier than what I was used to, but good enough to get mostly realistic outcomes. The combination of an easier timing window this year + the lowered difficulty has made Diamond Dynasty a mash fest. Unplayable garbage. My single favorite thing about last year's game has been reduced to shit because of innumerable glitches, poor sportsmanship, exploits, lowered difficulty, glitches, bugs, and glitches.

This year's league should be a blast lol.

A bit disappointing beginner mode isn't a real tutorial that goes over all the controls and a basic how to since I never played The Show.

Mario Golf on gameboy showed how to do this. If you want to bypass any how-to you can but the basic elements of golf are laid out in a practice area where you are showed a skill and challenged to pass a simple test.

J.D. Drew's one year with the Braves, he totally played out of his mind. He never came close to that kind of performance ever again.

Too bad it cost the Braves Adam Wainwright to get that one season...

I swear this game changes difficulty online. I just press Ranked Online to get a game and the last game had no strike zones, super small PCI, and no hot zones showing. Maybe its dependent on the home teams settings.

The strategy menu is what should be slowly folded into beginner mode. I am a player who will read through walls of text on baseball but the avg game player should have this broken down and simplified during a game. The small and quick subtitles aren't enough.

What hitting and pitching and fielding control options do you guys use?

I tried some pitch guessing in my 3rd game. Can be jumpy when you got it right and want to rip it. Like in old MVP Baseball when a hanger lights up in the zone.

Fielding throw power I need some pointers. The power scale isn't a bar that is easy to understand where you can see the red end of the scale is risking a bad throw.
Do you want the throw released as it flashes white as the optimal throw? It seems like holding it down to the red ring maxed out was more wild.

abrack08

The strategy menu is what should be slowly folded into beginner mode. I am a player who will read through walls of text on baseball but the avg game player should have this broken down and simplified during a game. The small and quick subtitles aren't enough.

What hitting and pitching and fielding control options do you guys use?

I tried some pitch guessing in my 3rd game. Can be jumpy when you got it right and want to rip it. Like in old MVP Baseball when a hanger lights up in the zone.

Fielding throw power I need some pointers. The power scale isn't a bar that is easy to understand where you can see the red end of the scale is risking a bad throw.
Do you want the throw released as it flashes white as the optimal throw? It seems like holding it down to the red ring maxed out was more wild.

I use Zone hitting and Meter pitching.

I don't exactly understand your throw power question. If you're using the new meter or whatever it's called (for FIELDING, not PITCHING, right?), you want to release it in the big green section in the middle. If you go to yellow, it'll be kind of off-line, red is usually in error (in my limited experience in RTTS only).

I needed to change the options. Pitching feels more fun with the meter. Standard setting with it is harder than MVP was in syncing up at least on the smaller screen of the Vita.

They could use some graphical examples in the menus to explain things with the multiple styles and many tweaks.

I see with PS3 a harder button gets a hard throw how is it done with vita? I guess auto and that is why you have to pick the meter or the red ring if you want to control accuracy or power. Maybe analog fielding has both?

I gave pulse pitching a try when they rolled it out last year, and I haven't gone back. Feels good to me.

And zone hitting with no GP.

demolitio

Does anyone know if this game takes into account Colorado's elevation in their home games? I've always wondered if it was easier to hit home runs there ingame or not.

Top Bottom